Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Why do reconciled expenditures keep showing up as unreconciled every month?

I had a problem reconciling my credit card account last March and discovered that the problem was that there were four expenditures that I had reconciled six months earlier that had become unreconciled some how. When I re-reconciled them the problem seemed solved. However, those same four items show up as unreconciled every month. Furthermore, if I reconcile them again and then do a cloud sync they show up as unreconciled again.

A somewhat related problem is that the balance of the account does not add up to be the total of unreconciled expenditures. Even when including the amounts for the four items that don't stay reconciled the balance is much greater than the sum of the unreconciled amounts.

This doesn't seem right to me.

Answers

• Carl SmithCarl Smith Member ✭✭
    Some additional detail. The unreconciled amount is $1191.44. The amount with the four items added is $1919.44. The balance provided by quicken is $2472.52. I reconcile the account every month and always pay the balance due on the account, so my expectation is the quicken balance should only include unreconciled amounts.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you correct the transactions and reset your cloud data: select Edit > Preferences...Mobile & Web, and Reset your cloud data
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried it two ways. First, just following the suggestion to reconcile all four expenditures and then reset the cloud data. The four entries popped back up as unreconciled when the reset was done. Next, I reconciled the four entries, backed up the quicken file, exited quicken, then restarted quicken, checked to see that the four entries were still reconciled then reset the cloud date. The result is the four entries are unreconciled again. Another troubling aspect, the balance doesn't change as I reconcile each entry. I would expect the balance to decrease with each expenditure that is reconciled.
    edited October 18
    Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried it two ways. First, just following the suggestion to reconcile all four expenditures and then reset the cloud data. The four entries popped back up as unreconciled when the reset was done. Next, I reconciled the four entries, backed up the quicken file, exited quicken, then restarted quicken, checked to see that the four entries were still reconciled then reset the cloud date. The result is the four entries are unreconciled again. Another troubling aspect, the balance doesn't change as I reconcile each entry. I would expect the balance to decrease with each expenditure that is reconciled.
    I suggest trying a bigger hammer... I suggest deleting the cloud dataset associated with the Quicken file.   You will need to use another Quicken file to do this:  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    I have just tried that and it didn't work. So, I marked the four entries as reconciled on my iPhone and then synced it and that seems to have cleared those four entries. However, I still have the problem of the Account Balance not equaling the total of unreconciled entries and the balance didn't change when the four entries were final reflected as reconciled.
    I have just tried that and it didn't work. So, I marked the four entries as reconciled on my iPhone and then synced it and that seems to have cleared those four entries. However, I still have the problem of the Account Balance not equaling the total of unreconciled entries and the balance didn't change when the four entries were final reflected as reconciled.
    Account balances should not equal the total of the unreconciled entries.  Account balances equal the total of the register entries.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10