Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Sears Mastercard now uses EWC instead of DC for downloading

Tom Young
Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
Over the weekend I noticed that the Sear Credit Card site was "making changes to enhance your experience" (Hah!) and was creating an OL error - don't remember which - when it was included in an OSU.  This morning the credit card connected OK but I noticed it was via EWC and no other method was available under Account Details > Online Services. 
I assume Sears Mastercard dropped DC for cost reasons but since this card is serviced by Citi I wouldn't be surprised if other Citi-serviced cards follow.

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @Tom Young - For many years EWC was the only connection method available for my Sears MC credit card.  Sometime this spring or maybe early summer I remember having some connection problems and I needed to either reset or deactivate/reactivate (I can't remember which) but when done I noticed that my Sears MC was now DC. 
    Over the last several days I've had on-again/off-again connections with Sears MC with DC and then last night during reset I was switched back to EWC with no option to upgrade to DC.  I think the EWC-->DC-->EWC migration process was entirely due to website and/or server changes and that DC was provided to help ensure continuity during the migration.  The old URL for my Sears MC now automatically routes me to a new URL...both of which are totally separate from Citi's Credit Cards website.
    I don't think this will happen with most Citi branded credit cards (at least not any time soon).  The Sears credit cards are managed by Citi's Retail Services group which is different from the Citi Credit Cards group and most of Citi's Retail co-branded cards have only offered EWC support.  I think I just got lucky getting DC with Sears MC for a while.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "For many years EWC was the only connection method available for my Sears MC credit card."
    How odd.  All my Citi-serviced credit cards have always been DC, except for a couple of times when they all flipped to EWC.  As I recall both of those times Quicken said DC was available but the cards simply would not convert, until they finally did. I have no good idea why these incidents occurred or what caused them to finally be able to get back to DC., but my guess was some sort of consolidation of credit card servicing that was going on in Citi.
    I got my Sears Mastercard back in 1983 so perhaps there's some "grandfathering" that went on. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    As far as I know when dealing with Citi credit cards the first thing is that you have to be using "Citi Cards" for the financial institution to get Direct Connect.  If your card can't be found using that, then it is a Express Web Connect only one.  For Instance a Macy's credit card is that way.  Macy's is American Express.

And in the past "Citi Cards" was Direct Connect only, but several months ago (maybe even a year) that changed and not only can it pick up Express Web Connect, but it defaults to it, and you have to make sure you select Direct Connect.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Hmmm...my Citi Cards accounts have only been DC for many years.  Even with all the connection issues this past spring and summer requiring resetting and deactivating/reactivating accounts, it's only defaulted to DC for me (although I used to be able to opt for EWC if I wanted it). 
    My Sears MC (obtained in 2008) is not a Citi Cards (citi.com) account and I can only access it via a unique URL (citiretailservices.citibankonline.com)...Citi Cards will not let me link it.  And except for the last 3-4 months when I did get DC it's always only been EWC with DC never being an option.
    Some really odd behavior regarding cards issued by Citi.  We all seem to be having different connections experiences with them.  I'm guessing there is some logical explanation we are all either overlooking or simply not understanding.  Maybe someday it will stare us in the face and slap us silly.
  • ALLEN Grace
    ALLEN Grace Member
    I can not get a connection or reset my sears account at all. It is an account that I have used for years but not a lot and I have been working around manually. I have now tried several things again that I can see and nothing seems to work. I hate to delete and restart. There is a register for it and it is in my account list but can not make a connection or even get a pass word established that I use directly with Sears with no problem. Any suggestions.
  • ALLEN Grace
    ALLEN Grace Member
    What do I need to do to add an password for a download from, Sears. In the one step update Sears or Citi neither are there and it will not allow me to add anything new..
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @ALLEN Grace with the new "connection method" that Express Web Connect uses you can't put the password in the Password Vault any more.  It is only stored on the server, which you entered when you created/linked the account.  If you change the password you have to run One Step Update which it will of course do with the old one, and when it gets an error it will then prompt you for the new one, which again will be stored on the server.

In the past the password was saved in the Password Vault, but it was also always saved on the server too.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ALLEN Grace
    ALLEN Grace Member
    Disregard 2 prior messages. Have got resolved. What a mess.
  • Boatnmaniac
    I can not get a connection or reset my sears account at all. It is an account that I have used for years but not a lot and I have been working around manually. I have now tried several things again that I can see and nothing seems to work. I hate to delete and restart. There is a register for it and it is in my account list but can not make a connection or even get a pass word established that I use directly with Sears with no problem. Any suggestions.
    A few months ago the Sears credit card website was changed to a new URL.  I found out about it when one day OSU suddenly failed and when I tried to access the bookmarked website URL I was automatically redirected to a new URL.  What I needed to do to get my Sears credit card downloading properly, again, was to go to the Online Services tab of Account Details and click on Deactivate.  Then I clicked on Set Up Now and was taken through the online services set up process.  Once completed, I've had no OSU issues with my Sears credit card. 
    If you have not already tried this deactivate/reactivate process you might want to.  If prompted what to do with the data downloaded from Sears make sure to Link it to your existing account in Quicken.