Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Several queries on replacing an Australian version with Quicken Deluxe 2020.

I have been using Quicken Personal Plus 2012 in Australia for many years and it provides all the facilities I need.
AileB under the "Before you Buy" tag raised many queries and the member responses interest me as well. Thank you all for taking the trouble to comment.
As I manually input all my data, the inability to use the interconnection to Australian banks and others will not concern me.
My reason for selecting the subscription model is that all my historical data has been backed-up.
The latest back-up from Q2012 on a flash drive created on 19 July 2020 reads as:-
QDATA_20120311_etc HCX File 7KB
QDATA_20120311_ etc IDX File 958KB
QDATA_20120311_ etc Quicken QDF data.... 6625KB
QDATA_ 20120311_ etc QEL File 29KB
QDATA_ 20120311_ etc QIN File 12KB
QDATA_20120311_ etc QPH File 195KB

I have just purchased a new computer running on Windows 10.
I would appreciate any comments on a couple of queries please:-
1. After reviewing the website it seems Quicken Deluxe 2020 subscription package would probably provide the same features currently on my Quicken Personal Plus 2012. Can anyone confirm that please?
2. Would Q Deluxe 2020 be able to import the back-up data described above from the flash drive?
It would certainly be preferable for me to remain a Quicken user than to go to another platform.
I look forward to any assistance a member may be able to provide.

Best Answer

Answers

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Subscription Quicken (2018+) might import your backup, but I would try importing it into QW2013 available here: Convert Data from an Earlier version of Quicken  first to see if it will import at all and there is no purchase required to try it.
    In 2010, US Quicken transitioned from the multi-file data set to a single file which uses a version of Zip Archiving to hold the data file set in a single file, so you will end up with a single file versus the multi-file data set.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Thank you splasher.

I installed QW2013 and it didn't open, but the message said "Cannot open file. the QDF file is from a later version". Perhaps there were some updates to my Q2012, but I cannot recall them!!

Have now subscribed to Q2020 Deluxe and installed on my new computer.
    Attempted to "File Import"and selected "QIF file" as that seemed to be the only choice. Screen showed the location of the flash drive and and I insered "E:\ QDATA_Quicken QDF QIF". The response was "QIF file not found".

Was selecting "File Import" the correct action??

Would appreciate any suggestions please.
  • Thanks again splasher.
    By following your suggestion, it made the conversion and the data is now on my subscription Q2020 !!!!!
    Most of the data matches the old computer data except one account. I will check that carefully, as it could because of a selection made during setting up.
    I think I made a mistake when setting up the first couple of screens. I didn't change it from "connected to internet or banks etc" to "manual input".
    Unfortunately, I cannot find how to get back to that screen to change my choice.
    Could you help me please?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how to get back to that screen, BUT, you could rename (using Windows Explorer) your new data file and start over again.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.