Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

This payment cannot be made because there is a payment already scheduled at the biller web site

I was entering a QuickPay transaction to pay a bill and Quicken crashed. When I restarted it, I went back to that bill and tried to QuickPay it again but now I immediately get a message back that says, "This payment cannot be made because there is a payment already scheduled at the biller web site." However, neither the billing company nor the payment bank show any pending transaction for this payment. I even let it sit until the next day and still nothing shows but I get the same message.

I've restarted Quicken
I've rebooted the PC
In Bills & Income, Quicken does not show a currently scheduled payment or give me a cancel payment option
In Bills & Income, Quicken still shows an active bill with a due amount
In Bills & Income, Quicken shows the last payment as the last one paid, which was 3 months ago.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Tagged:

Answers

• Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @[email protected] From what you said the program crashed in the middle of scheduling a bill payment and now there's a disconnect between Quicken and the biller. 

I wasn't sure if I understood you correctly, the biller's website doesn't show a scheduled payment?
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • @Rich_M The payment was scheduled for the 1st week in Nov so I'm sure it won't show as pending at either website just yet. However, in Quicken, where it would normally show "Entered $$$.$$ on Nov 6", it shows the Paid amount for back in July. To me, it looks like the scheduled payment didn't take in Quicken.

I've attached 2 screenshots. "expected.jpg" is what I expect to see. It's from another bill I paid. "shows.jpg" is what it shows, which implies there's no scheduled payment.

Thanks!
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @[email protected] My understanding of QuickPay is that the payment is scheduled at the biller's website, as if you had done it yourself.  It sounds like you're basing your reasonings on assumptions.

I would log in to the biller's website and check to see if they have a payment scheduled for 11/6.
  • @Rich_M Thanks but as I stated in my OP, neither the paying bank nor the receiving credit card show any pending transactions or pending/scheduled payments. And I don't think it's wrong for me to assume that since Quicken is not displaying the same information for this scheduled payment as it does for every other scheduled payment, that there's something wrong. Normally I can cancel a scheduled QuickPay payment too but I don't have that option here because Quicken doesn't show a payment is scheduled. So since Quicken doesn't show a scheduled payment, and there's no payment to cancel, I'm supposed to just wait until the due date to see if it gets paid? Sure, I can manually pay it to be safe but then I've paid it twice if it does happen.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @[email protected] I just wanted to make sure you actually logged into the billers website to verify there isn't a payment scheduled.

Apparently there's some disconnect in Quicken caused by the crash, because it doesn't show that a payment is scheduled, yet it tells you there's one scheduled if you try to enter it again.

Would it be possible to restore your data file from a recent backup, prior to the crash, so you can put the payment through again?

• @Rich_M That would be possible, albeit my last backup was 1 month ago. Is that flag that indicates it has been paid stored locally in the data file? I'm trying to do a repair on the current datafile but it's taking a longgggggg time.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @[email protected] Don't forget Quicken creates automatic backups for you, you should be able to find a more recent one in the backup folder.

I don't know for sure if your issue is caused by something stored in the data file, but restoring to a time before the crash will let us know. 

Make sure you create a backup of your data file before restoring it.

Alternatively you can restore to a copy and test from there. 
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @[email protected] Have you done a OSU update since this problem started?

I would think that might resolve this issue by refreshing the information with your billers.
  • @Rich_M I tried to do a repair and let it run overnight but it was hung at the same place I left it for the night and I had to kill Quicken. I ran the OSU as you suggested but no change. Then I restored a backup from a week ago and I still get the same popup message when I click QuickPay for that bill and it still doesn't show a payment scheduled, and therefore unable to cancel it either. So I guess that answers the question on whether that info is stored locally or in the quicken cloud. Guess there's no way to fix this from an end user perspective :(
  • @Rich_M Great, now after restoring to my latest backup to get where I was before, I get a popup that says "4 of the payment accounts were not present on the server and have been disabled." Now all my payment accounts are missing. sigh
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    @Jim13 Well, now we know that the information is stored partially on a server, not locally.

You really need to contact Quicken support to get this resolved.
  • @Rich_M Thanks for the responses. I contacted Quicken support and it wasn't a great experience. I finally got it straightened out and went to QuickPay a different bill and the same thing happened when I clicked Send. Quicken crashed and now when I click Quickpay, says there's a payment schedule but there isn't. I'm starting to understand why people are getting more and more ticked off with the Quicken product.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @[email protected] Sorry to hear this is still not going well.  Some of these newer features they've added to Quicken are great, but they are very complex and difficult to test thoroughly.

I still pay my bills through my bank with little effort and time, I would not want to use QuickPay and spend hours of my time researching issues like yours, as you have.

When a feature like this doesn't work there's nothing Quick about it.

You might want to abandon it for a while until it matures and they have ironed out all the problems.
This discussion has been closed.