Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Subscription via the Apple Mac Store

DAT4
DAT4 Member
I used the Windows version of Quicken for 25+ years. About 5 years ago, I move to macOS.

Since moving to Mac, I have been using a competitors product [Removed] At the time of my move , I did try Quicken for Mac, but was not impressed.

I've recently read numbers articular on the improvements the team has made with Quicken for Mac. I would love to give Quicken another try.

However, for various reasons, I will NOT purchase an app (or a subscription based app) unless it’s through the App Store. Please consider giving users the option to purchase Quicken through Apple's the App Store.

Banktivity offers their users two purchase options, directly for the vendor’s website or from the App Store.

I know I cannot be the only user that limits their purchases/subscriptions to the App Store. I don’t mind paying an extra fee to cover Apple’s 30% subscription cost for the first year's cost and the 15% renewal subscriptions.

Bottom line, if an app is not offered in the App Store, count me out.
0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• fun1000000
    fun1000000 Member ✭✭✭
    You wouldn’t buy a Quicken product directly from Quicken ? I doubt your request will be happening anytime soon, if ever.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken USED to sell via the Mac App Store but have since decided not to. There were some issues with getting new releases and even updates to users in a timely fashion and many users complained because when bugs were introduced that meant leaving users unable to use Quicken for a period of time, sometimes for many weeks. I think that may have been one big reason for pulling out, though there may have been others.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The "store" idea is a mixed blessing (or nightmare depending on your point of view).

By running any change through whatever organization is running that "store" the user is better protected from things like viruses.

On the other hand it also can mean long delays before they approve changes, and in some cases out and out refusing to allow the changes.  As some game apps have found out in the recent past.  And I believe Quicken got caught in that too when they wanted to include running the conversion from the Quicken Windows data format to Quicken Mac, which was done in crossover.  So they ended up with two different versions one for the Apple store, and one for direct download. And then having to point at the conversion program on their server if the person using the Apple store version wanted it.

It also means that programs that are not meant to make money or very little tend to not get released because a single developer doesn't want to go through all the hassle and cost just to release something the would put out "freeware".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @DAT4  Bottom line: if you won't buy/update the app from Quicken directly, you won't be switching to Quicken Mac. ;)

As others have detailed, there were multiple problems Quicken (and its users) experienced during the time they offered purchases through the App Store. I don't know what your reasons are for refusing to buy Quicken Mac directly as hundreds of thousands of users have, but if you're adamant about that, you're ruling out Quicken as an option. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you didn't even vote for your own idea. 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    It's silly the way this site does that... if you create an idea, it should automatically add your vote! Alas, you have to do it manually as a separate step AND realize/remember to actually do it.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note this thread wasn't an idea that could be voted on until today.  It must have been changed to an idea by a moderator.
    Signature:
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Chris_QPW said:
    Note this thread wasn't an idea that could be voted on until today.  It must have been changed to an idea by a moderator.
    Because it's so clear to users not to post in the subcategory "Installing and Updating (Mac)" under the "Quicken for Mac" category, but to instead post in the identically-titled subcategory "Installing and Updating (Mac)" within the subcategory "Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac" under the "Quicken for Mac" category.

/s

;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Given the hoops that people have to go through to post on this site it is a wonder they do it at all.
    Signature: