Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Error the resulting value is too big. Please enter it as more than one transaction.

dan5
dan5 Member ✭✭
edited October 2020 in Investing (Windows)
I am trying to enter a stock purchase into an investment account that I have done every quarter from an ESPP. For some reason I get that error. There is more than enough cash in the account to cover it. The total is under $6000. Why can't I enter the stock purchase. It has worked many times for more and less money? I am using quicken - home, business and rental property R29.22 build 27.1.29.22

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @dan5

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I have a few additional questions to help me better understand what could be happening.

Please provide the transaction type you are using to create this transaction.

Is there anything different that you are able to detect this transaction when comparing it to the previous transaction?

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would start by doing a File > File Operations > Validate and Repair and see if that resolves the issue.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • dan5
    dan5 Member ✭✭
    The type of transaction is bought, and I am still getting the error. Its to buy shares of stock.
  • dan5
    dan5 Member ✭✭
    The transaction is exactly the same in fact I copied transaction that I did last quarter then pasted the tranaction, then adjusted the date to about 3 months later, then I updated the number of shares, price, adn total. When I try to say enter and done, it gives me the error
  • dan5
    dan5 Member ✭✭
    I did the file validate and repair and it still wont let me enter the stock purchase transaction
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @dan5,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

I recommend that you create a copy of your data file by following the instructions provided below in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables.
    1. Go to File
    2. File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New copy and click OK  

Once the newly copied file opens, see if the issue persists or resolves. If it does persist, please, try validating and/or super validating your data file again.

Validate
    1. File
    2. File Operations
    3. Validate and Repair
    4. Validate File

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. File Operations
    3. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair
    4. Super Validate File

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • dan5
    dan5 Member ✭✭
    It didnt work, I will call the help line and see if they can help
  • dan5
    dan5 Member ✭✭
    Actually I went through it once more before calling and starting from the old file instead of doign a copy of the copy and this time the transaction just showed up when I did the copy, its like it was there, but not visible in the register and wasn't letting me enter a second time?
  • wawhite
    wawhite Member ✭✭
    I am having this exact same issue. I too have been entering ESPP entries twice a year for many years. Problems started to creep in with ESPP in 2019 (possibly 2018) Reporting (Net Worth, etc) has crazy numbers (negative 10's of millions of dollars). There is something not right with ESPP handling.
  • wawhite
    wawhite Member ✭✭
    The only way I found to workaround these issues was, starting with 2019 entries, enter an ESPP purchase as two entries: an "Add Stock" and a "Withdraw Cash". This keeps the stock and cash counts correct and allows the reports to work correctly. This doesn't track ESPP details properly but I don't rely on Quicken for my taxes so I can live with that.
  • dan5
    dan5 Member ✭✭
    edited January 31
    This is annoying now the quarter later and all I am trying to do is enter a stock purchase transaction in an investment account showing the purchase from the ESPP and I am getting this stupid error again. The transaction is smaller than the last quarter, its not too big. Can Quicken fix this? I tried the file validation that fixed it last time, but this time it doesn't.
    [Removed - Rant]  My utility bill failed in quicken bill manager the day it was due last week. Nothing works.