Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Investment column headings missing

guackqui
guackqui Member
The column headings are all blank in the Account Overview display.

This is essentially :s the same question as asked in July by @pdxgaydad -- but the problem persists and the provided answers DO NOT solve the issue, or solve the issue by creating other, even greater, display issues. This is NOT an issue with the current release but has persisted for several releases. I do not understand why the question has been marked [removed-speculation].

[removed-rant/unhelpful]

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Don't believe that this is a bug.  Those column headers are appearing in my "Account Overview"
    Have you tried Validating your Q data file ... or QCleanUI uninstalling and then re-installing?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried the suggested solutions?
    Are you using a 4k monitor?
    Please tell us more about your system environment: Windows version, Quicken version, monitor type and resolution.

• guackqui
    guackqui Member
    It *is* a bug if the UI is not displaying properly and not functioning as it should. The Q data file is fine. The install is recent and this is a long-standing issue that I've finally lost patience with. And this is an issue that other users appear to experience based on similar (unresolved but marked answered) posts in this Community Forum.
  • guackqui
    guackqui Member
    Yes, the suggested solutions result in worse display issues, specifically overlapping menus, inconsistent and too-small fonts, blurred fonts, excessively small captions and other items.

The environment is as follows:
    Windows 10
    Quicken R9.22 27.1.29.22
    Built-in laptop display on a Lenovo X1 Carbon; at system recommended 2560x1440 display resolution

Everything else works fine, including most of Quicken even to the point of SOME of the column headers.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What strikes me about your screenshot is how inconsistent it is between the different accounts.

I would certainly guess are some kind of Windows scaling kind of problem.  The biggest problem is that it is most likely highly dependent on your machine/Windows setup, and as such highly unlikely to be reproducible by the developers.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

And the fact that neither @Chris_QPW nor I can reproduce your situation STRONGLY suggests something that's specific to your computer or your configuration of Q.
    NOT A BUG!

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    guackqui said:
    Yes, the suggested solutions result in worse display issues, specifically overlapping menus, inconsistent and too-small fonts, blurred fonts, excessively small captions and other items.

The environment is as follows:
    Windows 10
    Quicken R9.22 27.1.29.22
    Built-in laptop display on a Lenovo X1 Carbon; at system recommended 2560x1440 display resolution

Everything else works fine, including most of Quicken even to the point of SOME of the column headers.
    I'll guess that Quicken simply cannot handle your high resolution screen.
    Can you temporarily down-res your display to something Quicken can handle, like 1920x1080, and see whether that makes this problem go away?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    NotACPA said:
    And the fact that neither @Chris_QPW nor I can reproduce your situation STRONGLY suggests something that's specific to your computer or your configuration of Q.
    NOT A BUG!

Define "bug".

Layman:  "Anything that doesn't work as they expect it."
    Developer: "Anything that doesn't work to specifications."

First one is clearly there, but even though this might warrant changing it, isn't the definition you are referring to, it is the second one.

For that you have to first know the specifications for Quicken.  We in fact don't know the specifications for column display, but any reasonable spec would be to display all the text.  And that isn't happening so we look to the second part of this and see if the setup is violating any spec which would invalidate this being called a bug.

And at this point I can't tell that because not enough information has been provided.
    For the display this is the spec.

What isn't stated here, but is implied is this is at a Windows scaling of 100%.

As you increase the percentage you need a higher resolution to get the pixels needed to properly display Quicken.

Given the provided information of a resolution of 2560x1440 at 100% Windows scaling clearly it would be within spec, but I highly doubt that the Windows scaling 100%.  And also whether Large Fonts are being used or not hasn't been stated.  Large Fonts is just another form of Windows scaling, but done internally to Quicken, it is about 120%.  So looking at a few examples.

Normal Fonts, 1024x768, 150% Windows scaling (1024 * 1.5) = 1536, 768 * 1.5 = 1152.  Both of these numbers are smaller than 2560x1440 and as such wouldn't violate the spec.

Large Fonts, 1280x1024, 150% Windows scaling (1280 * 1.5) = 1920, (1024 * 1.5) = 1538.  1538 is larger than 1440 and as such violates the spec.

Once all the needed information is provided then we can determine if this is in fact a bug or not.

And I might add that the bug might also be created by something in Windows or the low level Windows APIs and the developer may or may not be able to workaround the problem.
    Signature:
  • guackqui
    guackqui Member
    Thanks everyone for the input.

Very helpful.
  • vamike
    vamike Member ✭✭
    @quickgui did you or anyone else ever get this fixed? I have the exact same issue and have for a long time, holding out hope an update will one day fix this.

I have Win 10, R31.20, NOT using Large Fonts, 4k display, and start up in compatibility mode overriding high DPI scaling w/ "System (Enhanced)". (For the latter, checking "Application" causes many problems.)

With these settings, everything in Quicken looks perfect but ONLY when I set Windows scaling to 100%. Anything greater than 100% removes the first 5 columns headings from the Account Overview pages just like @quickgui's image above. In fact, with Quicken open, I can toggle Windows between 100% and 200% scaling and watch the Account Overview window toggle between showing and not showing these 5 column headings.
  • guackqui
    guackqui Member
    vamike -- no, this is not fixed. Because apparently it is not a "bug"

If you read the comments above, it is my (our) fault for using Windows scaling that the Quicken folks can't be bothered to support. We should be ashamed of ourselves and apologize to Quicken for trying to use their software. Or at least we should be ashamed for expecting it to actually work.

There are SO many minor issues like this in Quicken, UI inconsistencies, basic things that should be easy but aren't. Instead of fixing these we get crap updates that justify them charging the now-annual fee. If there was an alternative, I've switch in a flash, but that's the issue -- for all its many faults, the software is useful and functional and there are no competitors.
  • vamike
    vamike Member ✭✭
    @quickgui yes I had to laugh and smh at the dissertation on bugs and then the "superuser" who said this isn't a bug because he can't reproduce it. This most certainly is a bug. I suspect Quicken hasn't received enough complaints about this specific problem therefore fixing this bug is not a priority. Any time spent fixing this would not bring in new users with more revenue and they figure long-time loyal users like you and me aren't going anywhere.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    @vamike @guackqui

I'm using the same settings as you, with pretty much the same results. Do you use budgets? My column headers there have disappeared altogether.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW

The fact that some column headers display while others don't would suggest that, by almost any rational definition, it is a bug.
  • vamike
    vamike Member ✭✭
    @mrzookie Yes I do use budgets, and the budget column headings are likewise blank. Those also return if I set scaling back to 100%. This is likely the same bug. I have to think 4k displays are not that uncommon anymore, and if you have a 4k display, odds are good you are using scaling at >100%. I can't believe this problem has persisted for so long.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I will point out that at no time has anyone here provided all the requested information.

To determine if your display settings are outside of the requirements stated for Quicken you need to state:
    1. Resolution used.
    2. Windows scaling setting.
    3. Using Large fonts or not.
    Then the math can be done, but not before.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mrzookie said:
    @Chris_QPW

The fact that some column headers display while others don't would suggest that, by almost any rational definition, it is a bug.
    Yes and no.  As in yes I would agree that most people would say so, but if you are running something out of spec, all bets are off.  Systems do crazy things when you exceed their specs.  But note this other comment I made.

Note I'm not the one that stated "Its not a bug".  All my statements are about what I "think it is" and trying to get the needed information both to determine if in fact it is a clear bug (doesn't while not violating any of the display specs) and also warning people that if we (other users) and the developers can't reproduce the problem, there is basically zero chance of it being fixed.

On personal level I think that certain parts of the GUI of Quicken stink, and the way the column sizes for the budgets is one of them.  But this isn't my program, and that belief holds little sway with the Quicken developers.

But I would also stress that what looks easy to the average user is definitely not for the Quicken developers.  They are clearly using a mix of very old code/APIs with some new ones, and they clearly "scale differently".  It makes for making Quicken work constantly a very hard job.  On top of that there is clearly some "design/management" decisions going on to "draw a line" in what they will and will not support.  That sometimes I believe is a bit to restrictive, but on the other hand if they let the users have "free rain" it wouldn't work.

What people have to realize is that they are sooner or later going to hit up against the same problem you have when people ask for "full version of Quicken, a mobile device".  In its current form that is impossible.  Mobile device screens can be quite small, and there is the requirement that the buttons be quite big to allow for touching them.  So no amount of scrolling or such will make a usable interface.  Quicken would have to be broken up into a lot more screens, and even doing that might make it unusable.

So what does this have to do with Quicken Desktop?
    I have seen people come on here and complain that Quicken isn't usable with a display that is set to 1920x1080 150% with large fonts.  That basically gives them about the equivalent of 580 pixels high when you include the system bar (600 not including it).  So there are limits to this.
    Signature:
  • vamike
    vamike Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW I spelled all 3 out in my post above? Do I need to specify my 4k display setting is 3840x2160 resolution? I also stated the problem persists at 125% scaling or higher and I do not use Large Fonts.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    vamike said:
    @Chris_QPW I spelled all 3 out in my post above? Do I need to specify my 4k display setting is 3840x2160 resolution? I also stated the problem persists at 125% scaling or higher and I do not use Large Fonts.
    I'm sorry I jumped back into this thread after all this time, and my scanning of it missed that you said "anything over 100%".  I was looking for a statement like Resolution, scaling, not using large fonts...

And yes all the information/numbers matter.  Not only does it prove that you are well within the display spec, and as such "this is a bug" not a "violation of the spec", it also gives people(as in the developers or other users) what they might need to reproduce the bug.  Note without large fonts the spec would be (1024 * 1.25) x (768 * 1.25) = 1280x960.  So without large fonts even a standard display like 1920x1080 should be fine.

And it is, here is how it looks:

Clearly the developers have some work to do with other settings like yours.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW is everyone reporting this problem using: Help -> Report a problem?

The more people that report it with all the details possible, the more likely it will be fixed.
    Signature:
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2
    I'm not a software engineer. That said, I get that code can be complex, especially in older apps where its been worked on by dozens of different people over time, but it would still seems reasonable to assume that 2 columns, side by side, in the same "spreadsheet", on the same page, using the same font (presumably) would display or not display in the same fashion. They don't, which points to some sort of inconsistency on that particular page, which should not be inconsistent. The budget headers, OTOH, are all uniformly missing. That to me could indicate on spec, yet inconsistent with UHD. 

My setup is 13.3 UHD (3840x 2160) laptop monitor defaulted to 300% scaling, not using large fonts, compatibility mode set to override high DPI scaling - System (Enhanced). Note that all headers return to normal (and the text on the Tax Planner returns to a more usable size) if I revert to DPI Scaling - System (not Enhanced), but the text throughout the app becomes a bit fuzzy which causes more eye fatigue.

I still fall on the side of calling the column headers issue a "bug".

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ugh, I wrote a long missive here, went to edit an error and the whole thing disappeared with a mysterious message saying something to the effect of  "your comment will appear when its approved".

This was the last piece of it:
    My setup is a 13.3 laptop with UHD display, no large fonts, scaling set to 300% (default) and Override High DPI set to System (Enhanced). If I change the Override to System, but not enhanced, all the column headers, both on the Investment and Budget pages return to normal (and the text on the Tax Planner becomes a little more readable), but the text throughout the app gets a little fuzzier, causing more eye fatigue. It's a pick your poison situation.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @mrzookie Well it is interesting that you mentioned both the Tax Planner and the Budget in the same post.  Why?

Because you are talking about what must be the oldest and the newest GUI APIs.

The Tax Planner (along with the Lifetime Planner, and a lot of the "Business" forms) were all done in "web" GUI.  As in just before 2000 when Microsoft realized they made a big mistake of under estimating the web, they started pushing "The Desktop as the web".  Along with that was a push to make all the desktop applications "web pages".  And of course the user pushed, and Intuit rewrote a lot of Quicken in this GUI API.  It was a "fun" time where when a new version of Internet Explorer would come out and you would click on a tab in Quicken and you would get a "404 Page not found" error.  I don't know if you know about "ActiveX" this was Microsoft's way or running code on web pages.  And it is still in use for these (Tax Planner, Lifetime Planner...)   It isn't heard of much any more, because it was one of the first technologies that the virus writer took advantage of.  And that is what caused the push away from using it.

At any rate, the interface is determined by "web page/HTML code" some of which is "fixed size", which leads to some of the GUI problems.

Then jump to the budget planner.  And I will tell you I don't know where that API comes from, most likely some third party, but its main focus seems to be "automatically resize".  I don't know if they even have direct control over the sizing of those columns.  They certainly don't act like it.  All calls for allowing the columns to be sized by the user have met with silence.  Just like the same is true for the sizing of things on the Home tab.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. Just found this interesting.  Don't take it as me meaning it as an excuse.  They should definitely fix the problems you guys are having.
    Signature:
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW

Not taken that way at all (at least not by me).

Off Topic: Do you have any idea where in the ether world my 3:03PM post went to? It was gone - not a trace to be found. And poof, now its there.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mrzookie said:
    @Chris_QPW

Not taken that way at all (at least not by me).

Off Topic: Do you have any idea where in the ether world my 3:03PM post went to? It was gone - not a trace to be found. And poof, now its there.

The forum has an automatic spam system that randomly pick posts (especially if you post frequently) to be pushed through the moderators.  Once they approve them they get posted (out of order mind you).  It interesting that has happened to you since I thought once you got to a certain number of point/stars it stopped doing that.  And you have 4 stars.  But it certainly happened to me on a regular basis when I had less stars, but not since I got up to 4.
    Signature:
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Based on the message I got, that's what I thought. I would have imagined that the post would still be visible to me, just locked, but there was no trace of it. I thought it was gone for good. Thanks for the explanation.

• vamike
    vamike Member ✭✭
    I spoke to customer support about this issue today (like I did in late 2019). The agent was very friendly and knowledgeable. As expected, she walked me through all the known "fixes" scattered throughout the support pages and forum until she realized there was no configuration to fix the problem. She opened a case and said the development team will get this and "probably fix it for the next update". :) I appreciate her optimism but won't hold my breath as its been 18 months now.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    @vamike - Not sure I'll hold my breath either. But, keep us posted if they surprise us and a fix show up.