Bank downloads not working properly

I'm running Quicken Canada R28.15 (2020). I use One Step Update to download all bank transactions using my wife's profile. I have one account that has to be downloaded using my bank card profile; so I try to do it manually.

Every time I do my manual download, Quicken changes the account setting to One Step Update, using my wife's profile and NOT mine. Then I have to deactivate the Online Service to do a manual download next time. This happens every time.

How do I get Quicken to stop One Step Update for my account only. My wife's accounts can all be One Step.

Thanks

Randy

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @LostCanuck

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

May I ask that you please provide the name of the financial institution in question? This is needed for me to verify the connection types available for this bank.

To make sure I'm understanding correctly, you have 2 accounts at this bank. One updates automatically and one you visit the bank's website and download a file to update the transactions.

If that is correct, I need a bit more information on how this account is becoming connected. Are you seeing any prompts or messages to sign in with the credentials for this bank?  

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    LostCanuck said:  . I have one account that has to be downloaded using my bank card profile; so I try to do it manually.
    Why do you have to download it manually....
    Why not setup your own ID at the bank to access your single account ?
    If it can be accessed by the bank website with your wife's user ID, then there is no problem.... so we are confused....
    We have several accounts at US Chase - and each are tied to our US Social Security tax payment number.... So I have setup each in Quicken, with the access info associated with each...

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka

Thank you for your response.

My Bank is Royal Bank of Canada.

The automatic OneStep Update is using my wife's bank card profile. This is working correctly for her accounts and our joint accounts.

To get data from my account I need to manually download the data. Here is what happens and the steps I follow

1. Manually download the QFX file from my bank
    2. Map the downloaded QFX data to my Quicken account; data updates correctly to Quicken and the online service setups up automatically in Quicken.
    3. However, the Bank Card ID setup on "my" account is my "wife's" bank card number - NOT my bank card number

One Step will not setup properly for my account; it always defaults to my wife's bank card number.

@ps56k I have tried to setup my one step profile; please see comments above.

Thanks for your help
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @LostCanuck

Thank you for the response and the additional details. I have a few more questions to help me further isolate the issue.

Once you have imported the file, can you please navigate to Tools > Accounts LIst and locate your account. What is the connection method being listed here?

I am unsure where you are looking to "Bank Card I Setup", I apologize. Can you please provide steps to which screen you are viewing to see this information?

Thank you
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    LostCanuck said:
    3. However, the Bank Card ID setup on "my" account is my "wife's" bank card number - NOT my bank card number

One Step will not setup properly for my account; it always defaults to my wife's bank card number.
    Well... let's have a look -
    What type of account is this.... ?
    If you have the QFX file downloaded from the bank,
    you can open it with Notepad, as it is just a text file. 
    - open the QFX file
    - scroll down looking for the ACCTID tag ... this is from a US bank checking acct -
    - look at the number and compare to your own banking acct number vs wife's -
    This is downloaded directly from your bank - and has not touched Quicken as yet.
    <STMTRS>
    <CURDEF>USD
    <BANKACCTFROM>
    <BANKID>071000099
    <ACCTID>724889999    <<------------- changed numbers as this is a REAL acct ----
    <ACCTTYPE>CHECKING
    </BANKACCTFROM>

• LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka

Tools>Account List opens the account; it does not list the connection method.

If I go to the "account>gear>edit account details>general - Bank Card ID", it lists my wife's bank card number.

account>gear>edit account details>Online Services - Connection Method: Web Connect

Hopefully this helps.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And what did you see with the QFX file and Notepad ?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭

Tools>Account List opens the account; it does not list the connection method.
    In QW for US:  In Account List there is a button for "Options".  Click on that and then click on "Show transaction download status" and that will enter a column into the Account List showing the connection method for each financial institution.  I'm guessing QW for Canada provides for this same option but don't know for sure.

If I go to the "account>gear>edit account details>general - Bank Card ID", it lists my wife's bank card number.

account>gear>edit account details>Online Services - Connection Method: Web Connect
    So, as I understand your issue, your bank card account shows your wife's bank card number but you want it to show your bank card number. Currently, when you try to manually download (Web Connect) it links with your wife's bank information and you do not want that to occur.  Am I understanding this correctly?
    If so, I suggest you try the following:
    1. Back up your data file in case something goes wrong or you don't like the results.
    2. On the Online Services tab of your bank card account:  Deactivate.
    3. On the General tab of your bank card account:  Remove all financial institution information (bank name, account number, routing number, etc.).  You can leave the Name of the account and any other miscellaneous notes in place but removing the financial institution information can be critical to breaking the link with your wife's bank information.
    4. Log into your online account at your bank and download your bank card transactions and import them into Quicken.  During the import process, you should be prompted to Add, Link or Ignore the data.  Be sure to select Link and then also select your bank card account in Quicken. 
    5. On the General tab:  Is your bank card information now shown there?
    6. On the Online Services tab:  Does it show that the account is set up for Web Connect?
    7. Go to OSU Update Settings:  Make sure your bank card account is not listed there.  If it is, uncheck it and then click "Apply" and then "Close".
    8. Run OSU:  Did your wife's and joint accounts update properly?
    9. Log back into your bank card account and download your bank card transactions and import them into Quicken.  Did the process work correctly for you?
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.24 on Windows 10)
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭
    @ps56k the ACCTID is the account number I am accessing and is correct.

My problem is One Step does not work for my account; it works for my wife's account. The account number is correct, the login via One Step is the issue. Again, the Bank Card ID, associated with my account, is my wife's Bank Card ID and NOT mine. Therefore not allowing the One Step to work on my account.

@Boatnmaniac - Thanks for your feedback. I have followed your steps repeatedly. Each time I Link the account, the Bank Card ID populates with my wife's bank card number and not mine.

Cheers,

Randy
  • Boatnmaniac
    @LostCanuck - By any chance are your wife's bank card and your bank card the same account at the bank but the cards just have different numbers? 
    What you are describing sounds like my Citi Costco Visa card where the main account and card number are in my name and my wife's card has a different card number but Citi downloads all charges for both card numbers under just my main account card account number.
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac - Sorry for the slow reply; been a crazy week.

Many of the accounts being downloaded in OneStep are joint accounts. In OneStep setup, 4 accounts are joint and 1 account is my wife's and 1 account is my account. Using my wife's bank profile, I am able to download all the joint accounts and her 1 account.

What OneStep will not do is recognize my 1 account and download it via OneStep. The only way to get my account downloaded is to do it manually.

This is a Quicken issue and not a bank issue. In Canada, through our privacy law, my account can not be linked to my wife's bank card; we can only link joint accounts to both bank cards.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2020
    @LostCanuck - I think perhaps my last post regarding Citi Costco Visa was not clear.  The situation I have is that I have one credit card account (in my name).  The card sent to me has that account number on it.  I also authorized Citi to provide a card for that account to my wife but her card has a different number on it than does mine.  The transactions I make on my card and the ones she makes on her card both feed into the one credit card account (in my name).  I can only download the combined credit card account transactions into Quicken...I cannot download transactions from my card number and from her card number separately.  (FYI, in the US we, too, have privacy laws that do not allow us to access another's financial information without getting that other person's explicit authorization.)
    Assuming this is not the situation you and your wife have, then I am running out of ideas.  One last thing I can suggest trying at this time:
    1)  Backup your data file in case something goes wrong.
    In Account Details of your bank card account:  Display Options tab > Close Account (not Delete Account) > Yes > OK.
    2)  Then Tools > Add Account > select your bank > set up using your bank login information.  During the set up process, Quicken will likely download information for all of your joint accounts and your unique account. 
    • Be sure to "Ignore" the downloads for each of your joint accounts.
    • Be sure to "Add" the download for your unique account as a new account.
    3)  Confirm that your new account in Quicken shows your unique bank card number on the General tab of Account Details.
    4)  Go to Update Settings:  You should see two separate OSU listings for your bank...one would be for your wife's login information and would be for your login information.  Make sure that the boxes for both of them are checked and then click "Apply".
    5)  Run OSU. 
    Did it complete properly?  Let me know.  If it completed properly you might want to move the transactions from your closed unique account to your new unique account and I can help you with that if needed.
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac - thanks for the clarification. We are the same here. We have a joint Visa card which does exactly as you describe above.

We also each ave individual MasterCards. When I setup my wife's profile in OSU, it downloads all joint and her individual data.

I have also setup my individual MasterCard with OSU. However, the OSU does not go to my account during OSU initiation; it only downloads my wife's OSU accounts. I need to manually download my account.

If OSU only recognizes one profile, that is fine. But it appears to try and execute both OSU profiles; nine just doesn't download. When I check the Bank CardID in the account it always defaults to my wife's bank card number.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @LostCanuck - I am at a loss on this.  What you are describing just does not make any sense from what I know of how Quicken functions.  I am guessing that there is something during the set up process or in Update Settings or in Online Services for your individual MC account that was not done correctly or is corrupted but I cannot know that for sure without being able to access your file and we do not want to go there.  At this point I suggest contacting Quicken Support.  Sorry, I wish I could have been of more help.
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac - I agree, this one is weird for sure. I used to be able to update all my accounts using my bank profile and something went wrong. I've had to switch to my wife's profile to make it work again.

I wish I could start over, but I have too much historical data that I don't want to loose; since 2005

Thanks a lot for taking the time and your suggestions.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @LostCanuck - Actually, I've thought of a few other things you can try if you haven't already tried them.
    1. Run Validate and Repair utility.  If it is a data file issue, this utility might be able to fix it.
    2. Uninstall Quicken.  Then download a fresh copy of Quicken and install it.  If it is a program issue, this process could eliminate it.
    This last idea came up when you said you wish you could start over.  It can be a more involved process and might take some time to complete but when you are done you will have a fresh file that should include all of your current historical data.:
    1. Export the accounts data in your current file.  There are two types of export formats that can be used (QFX and QIF).  Read up on them in Help to determine which is perhaps best suited for your situation and how to do the exports.  Save the export file on your hard drive.
    2. Create a new Quicken file (make sure tit is a new file name and not a copy of your existing file) and save it with a new file name.  Do not set up any accounts in the new file.
    3. Import the saved export file into the new Quicken file.  Make sure to select all the appropriate data to be imported when prompted.  This should set up new manual accounts in Quicken.
    4. Make sure all of your transactions in each of your and your wife's bank accounts are Reconciled (marked "R").
    5. Use Add Account to set up online services with your bank using your bank UserID and PW for your unique bank card account.  Be sure to link the download for it to the manual account already set up in Quicken.  If any joint accounts data gets downloaded you can ignore it.  If any duplicate transactions get entered into the account register you will need to manually delete them.  (Having all your transactions marked "R" prior to this makes it much easier to identify the duplicate transactions.)
    6. Use Add Account to set up online services with your bank using your wife's UserID and PW for her unique card account and your shared accounts making sure to link them to the appropriate manual accounts already in Quicken.  If this process downloads data for your unique bank card account, be sure to ignore it.  Manually delete any duplicate transactions that get downloaded and entered.
    7. Try running OSU to update all accounts.  Did it work properly now?
    If this works correctly now, verify that all of your historical data was transferred properly.  Set up all your Quicken Preferences.  Set up online services for any other accounts you want to have updated during OSU.   Then use this new file with Quicken going forward.  (At some point you can delete your current file but I would wait for a while before doing that.)
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭
    I have run the validation utility with the support of Quicken's help desk. It did not fix the main problem at the time which was when my bank profile stopped working. Hence the switch to my wife's profile.

Your total reset instructions are intriguing and I will try it; I have nothing to loose. I have a lot of old/closed investment accounts as well as current account data to switch over. This is the info that I am more worried about keeping historical records on.

This may take some time, so don't be surprised if it takes a while to get back to you on results.

@Boatnmaniac thanks for all your support and insights
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac I got some free time today and tried it.

It appears all my banking, credit card and property/debt accounts transferred (including any hidden accounts). However, none of my investment accounts came over. These are the most important.

Is there a way of bringing these over one at a time?
  • Boatnmaniac
    @LostCanuck - You must have exported from your original file in QXF format.  That format cannot export investment accounts data. 
    Have you tried to export the investment accounts data in QIF format?  In the US version of Quicken, I can go to Help and search for "Export financial data to a QIF file" to get detailed instructions so hopefully you can do the same in your Canada version.  During the export process all accounts will be exported.  But during the import process you can select one account at a time to import.
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭
    @boatnmaniac – Thanks again for all your help. Here is what I discovered so far.

1. QXF Export / import to new QDF file
    a. QXF only exports banking and property/debt files as you mentioned before
    b. It does not like currency transfers between accounts. I had to manually accept a lot of them, but not as many as I would have expected
    c. Over 1100 errors because QXF could not create investment accounts; this was expected

2. QIF export / import to new QDF file
    a. All accounts are created (banking, investment, and Property/Debt)
    b. All transfers between accounts are not recognized and there are balances in accounts which are no longer in use. But all expected accounts are there
    c. Performed a validation of this file, without any major changes.

Looks like this might be the limitation of trying to create a new file….oh well. Thanks again!!
This discussion has been closed.