Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

One Step Update will not work after Quicken update

Hi! I just downloaded the latest version of Quicken Canada Edition (R28.15, Build 27.1.28.15) and the One Step Update no longer works. I have rebooted. My bank is TD Canada Trust. Every time I try it, it just hangs and I need to close Quicken and restart it. Any ideas? Thanks, Rob

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you gone to the check register and tried ⚙️ > Update Now? This forces an update. 
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • RobCar
    RobCar Member
    Yes, I have tried that. It starts the same "One Step Update" process and results in the same issue - the system "hangs" and needs to be closed.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Do you have Online services enabled? If so, deselect and rerun.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • RobCar
    RobCar Member
    Do you mean "mobile and web"? I deactivated those account syncs. That actually also caused Quicken to "hang" and I had to close it.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • RobCar
    RobCar Member
    Thanks for your suggestions. I restored a backup and tried the One Step Update with that file. Same issue persists. I did not try a new test file given that my issues are with importing from my bank. I did not follow the "validate" steps b/c that article lists when one should use those steps and my issue was not listed. I press "contact support" on the Quicken website but it does not go anywhere.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I did not try a new test file given that my issues are with importing from my bank."
    I'd suggest doing that, simply setting up one Account that's connected to TD Canada Trust, and see if downloading works there.  If it does work in the test file that suggests that something's wrong in your "working" file.

• RobCar
    RobCar Member
    Thanks Tom. So, I did create a test file, connected it to TD Canada Trust. It was able to connect successfully and it was able to complete a One Step Update without problems. As you point out, this means there is likely something wrong with my "working" file (as well as my latest back up).
  • RobCar
    RobCar Member
    I also completed the validate and repair process....no luck. One Step Update still hangs and forces a close of Quicken. If you have any other other suggestions, I am game :) . Thanks so much.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's time to call in the professionals. The number is available at the bottom of this link.
    Official Quicken® Support - Phone, Chat, or Community
  • RobCar
    RobCar Member
    Thanks Geoff and Tom. Got off the phone with support. We removed transactions from pre-2010 (I had transactions from 1996) and the validation worked. We deactivated the bank accounts and reactivated. All is working now. Thanks.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect outcome!
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that removing transactions from before 2010 was part of the process.  Any idea why Support suggested that course of action and that particular date?  I started using Quicken back in the days of DOS and my transactions go back a lot farther that 1996.
  • RobCar
    RobCar Member
    I was on the phone with them for 45 min. I explained what I had done already. They tried to de-link the bank accounts and it kept crashing the system. They tired to validate and repair and that did not work. We were running out of options. The tech suggested it could be the age of the data and issues in it. I did not really mind b/c I saved a copy of the original file and dated it so that I have access if i need it (unlikely) and we just randomly chose 10 yrs as a reasonable timeframe to keep in the current file. Once we did that, we ran a validate process and it ran smoothly. We then tried to deactivate the accounts and that worked (no crashing). We were able to re-activate the accounts and try the one-step update and it worked. TBH, it does not really make sense to me that it worked perfectly for years and years...then I upgrade and it does not. Perhaps the new version did not like some of my old data?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RobCar said:
    TBH, it does not really make sense to me that it worked perfectly for years and years...then I upgrade and it does not. Perhaps the new version did not like some of my old data?
    That's it in a nutshell. Developers are always making changes to fix or enhance. This does have unforeseen consequences when dealing with old data in an old data file structure.
This discussion has been closed.