Home Quicken for Windows Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken Online Payment - Can't Edit the Transaction

I'm using Quicken Premier 2020 Version R29.22 Build 27.1.29.22. I've made online payments for years. Tonight I tried to make a payment by Clicking ONLINE, payments, selecting the account and entering the Payee. which it recognized and entered the payee and an amount (last month's amount). When I tried to change the amount, it would not let me change the amount. I could change the split amount and then tell it to update and the amount then changed. Something is wrong that you can't change the amount.

Best Answer

• Rick MiltonRick Milton Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    It would allow me to send the payment. I could not edit the amount without going into the split and changing last month's figures (it is a credit card bill that I itemize the various bills into categories). I should be able to edit the amount on the initial Online Center screen after I input the name of the credit card company. I can not edit the amount, nor use the calculator next to it to change that total amount. I have to go into the split screen to change things.

I hope that helps -- if not, keep asking!

Answers

• Hello @Rick Milton

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having.  I'm wondering why exactly it didn't let you send the payment afterwards. Did it send after putting it in the register? Are you using your banks bill pay or quicken bill manager bill pay? Have you been able to previously change it before? If the payment hasn't seen could you try again to see if you get the same issue? With a bit more details we'll see if we're able to recreate this as well.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Accepted Answer
    It would allow me to send the payment. I could not edit the amount without going into the split and changing last month's figures (it is a credit card bill that I itemize the various bills into categories). I should be able to edit the amount on the initial Online Center screen after I input the name of the credit card company. I can not edit the amount, nor use the calculator next to it to change that total amount. I have to go into the split screen to change things.

I hope that helps -- if not, keep asking!
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Don't know about your amount problem, but.....
    Just in case you are doing it the wrong way,

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account. Then when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer versions have a Transfer column.

I used to do it the wrong way for years!  Then I wised up and now enter them properly. I would split my credit card payment into all the categories on one transaction in my checking account. And since I always pay more than the bill I would need to figure the difference and put it to another category.  But then I needed to have them entered on the date the charges actually happened. So I finally set up a credit card account. It makes it much easier to enter and balance!

I seem to be having this problem again, after it was resolved after I reported it the last time. . .
This discussion has been closed.