Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Which version and year of quicken to install

I wish to restart quicken anew after about 10 years. I have copy of Quicken Premier 2018 CD- with a 27 mo subscription, as well as a copy of of Quicken Premier 2019 CD - with a statedsubscription stated of 14 months, and both bought from Amazon. Neither one has been used or installed yet. Should I use one of these to start, thus saving me some start up costs, or is better to buy the latest, 2020 version?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every version you have listed is one in the same. They are all Quicken subscription, regardless of the year designation. You only need to install the version that will give you the greatest subscription length, which sounds like your 2018 release. Once installed, it will update to the latest release and you should be good to go. You do not need to purchase any other version.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    @howards - Forget about the year.  Starting with subscription in 2018 the year is really nothing more than a marketing thing for retail sales.  Both your 2018 and 2019 CDs are both subscription programs so when you install and activate them the program will be be updated to the latest 2020 revision.   
    What is important are the activation codes that should have come with your programs and the length of the subscriptions.  The subscription starts when you install and activate the program....when you bought it makes no difference. If your 2018 program has the activation code, enter that one when you install the program because it will give you 27 months from the date of activation before your subscription expires.
    CORRECTION:  Use the activation code for your 2019 CD, first, and then when your subscription is about to expire you can use the activation code for your 2018 CD.  I had forgotten about the difference in retail products activation code expiration policies (thank you, @thecreator !).  If you do it in this order you will get a total of 41 months of subscription service before you will need to decide whether or not to pay to extend your subscription further.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R31.5 on Windows 10)
This discussion has been closed.