Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Problem Updating Express Web Accounts

mrzookie
mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
Q 29.22 (latest) WIN 10

I've seen a couple of threads where people are reporting that  EW accounts have been disappearing after OSU. I am NOT experiencing that issue, but perhaps my problem is related.

I have several EW accounts (Citi banking, Macys, Kohls) that do not qualify to use direct connect. Ever since Quicken implemented its new system for EW, some or all of the accounts stop updating quite often, sometimes every week or two. They go through the update process more quickly than usual, and the last download date on the account page does not change. I don't get any error messages. I've been using the Reset Account function which, so far, has been working as intended, but its obnoxious to have to keep doing it. 

Note: I do not use cloud or mobile synch.

Anyone else experiencing this, and if so, have you come up with any work-arounds?

Thanks.

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Well my wife has a Macy's credit card so I know about that one.  Even before the switch over to the new connection method I could expect it to give me problems about once every 2 months.  Usually it could be "fixed" by doing Update Now from the register (note you might have to do it twice right after an error because there is a bug where it doesn't actually do anything the first time after an error).

The old flow was:
    Quicken -> Intuit server -> financial institution.

The new flow is:
    Quicken -> QCS (Quicken server) -> Intuit server -> financial institution

So there really isn't anything there to "fix" the problems of the Intuit server to financial institution connection problems.

This just allows Quicken to be involved and hopefully find out about the problems sooner and get them fixed sooner.

I also have PayPal and some Synchrony CD accounts on Express Web Connect and they usually follow a similar pattern of working for a while and then needed Update Now, or sometimes "wait until they fix it".

My troubleshooting is usually.   Right after the problem, Update Now.  If that doesn't work, wait a few days and try both One Step Update and Update Now.  If it still doesn't work check this forum for thread that it just "down".  If not then I try what @Boatnmaniac suggested and try deactivating and reactivating.

At least I try to do this flow, some times I get impatient jump through the above faster.

But luck for me all of these accounts are very low volume, so in fact given the new changes to Express Web Connect I will most likely go to manual entry or some other way to avoid downloading them using it.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020 Accepted Answer
    mrzookie said:
    @Boatnmaniac
    I was under the impression that Reset was just a one-click deativate/reactivate process. Is that not the case?
    It is my understanding that Reset Account is essentially a "soft" deactivate/reactivate of the account connection but it stops short of totally breaking the online services connection setup with the FI.  There are times where a "hard" deactivation (i.e., totally breaking the online services connection) and fresh set up of an account is needed because Reset Account doesn't work.  This is especially true when the FI has made a change to the account number, the FI name, the online services setup URL changed or when the FI has implemented a major system or security change on their end but other things can also require more drastic action than a Reset Account can fix. 
    I'm guessing that when Quicken started migrating users to the new QCS connection channel (essentially a new routing) it caused a change for some FIs that can require a "hard" deactivate/reactivate.  I know after I was migrated to QCS, about half of my accounts functioned just fine during OSU and required no special action.  About half of the remaining accounts worked fine after a simple Update Now of those accounts.  Most of the other accounts functioned fine during OSU after doing Reset Account but a few would require Reset Account to be done on multiple occasions and this issue did not go away until after I did the hard deactivate/reactivate.  And if you do a search you'll find some other users have posted that they, too, ended up needing to deactivate/reactivate some of their accounts to get reliable connections reestablished for them.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    @mrzookie - You might want to try deactivating/reactivating the affected accounts.  For some people (including me), Reset Account did not provide a permanent fix.  Deactivating/reactivating the affected accounts seemed to be more permanent...it certainly has been with my accounts.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @mrzookie I will point out a couple of things I have seen with the new connection system they are going to for Express Web Connect.

The first is that it is "caching" the downloading of transactions.  So say you download transactions, and then go to download again.  On the second time it won't really download anything.  And restarting Quicken will not change this.  There seems to be a "time out" that might be as much as a whole day, before it will try again.

The second thing that has been noticed is that it isn't reporting all the errors.  Since the switch over the errors are being reported in the cloud sync log instead of the QFX log, and it seems like One Step Update isn't looking for them there.  So there might actually be problems downloading that you aren't seeing.
    Signature:
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac
    I was under the impression that Reset was just a one-click deativate/reactivate process. Is that not the case?

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    @Chris_QPW
    I checked the cloud synch log, but I can't make much sense of what's in it. I find that the accounts I use least often (I only dload macys and Kohls every week or two) are the ones I have the most trouble with. I wonder if there's some sort of "no-connect" timeout happening after which the association between the bank and Q is lost, necessitating a reset. It wouldn't make much sense for that to be the case, but I guess I'll try updating them every day and see if that makes a difference.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Well my wife has a Macy's credit card so I know about that one.  Even before the switch over to the new connection method I could expect it to give me problems about once every 2 months.  Usually it could be "fixed" by doing Update Now from the register (note you might have to do it twice right after an error because there is a bug where it doesn't actually do anything the first time after an error).

The old flow was:
    Quicken -> Intuit server -> financial institution.

The new flow is:
    Quicken -> QCS (Quicken server) -> Intuit server -> financial institution

So there really isn't anything there to "fix" the problems of the Intuit server to financial institution connection problems.

This just allows Quicken to be involved and hopefully find out about the problems sooner and get them fixed sooner.

I also have PayPal and some Synchrony CD accounts on Express Web Connect and they usually follow a similar pattern of working for a while and then needed Update Now, or sometimes "wait until they fix it".

My troubleshooting is usually.   Right after the problem, Update Now.  If that doesn't work, wait a few days and try both One Step Update and Update Now.  If it still doesn't work check this forum for thread that it just "down".  If not then I try what @Boatnmaniac suggested and try deactivating and reactivating.

At least I try to do this flow, some times I get impatient jump through the above faster.

But luck for me all of these accounts are very low volume, so in fact given the new changes to Express Web Connect I will most likely go to manual entry or some other way to avoid downloading them using it.
    Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2020 Accepted Answer
    mrzookie said:
    @Boatnmaniac
    It is my understanding that Reset Account is essentially a "soft" deactivate/reactivate of the account connection but it stops short of totally breaking the online services connection setup with the FI.  There are times where a "hard" deactivation (i.e., totally breaking the online services connection) and fresh set up of an account is needed because Reset Account doesn't work.  This is especially true when the FI has made a change to the account number, the FI name, the online services setup URL changed or when the FI has implemented a major system or security change on their end but other things can also require more drastic action than a Reset Account can fix. 
    I'm guessing that when Quicken started migrating users to the new QCS connection channel (essentially a new routing) it caused a change for some FIs that can require a "hard" deactivate/reactivate.  I know after I was migrated to QCS, about half of my accounts functioned just fine during OSU and required no special action.  About half of the remaining accounts worked fine after a simple Update Now of those accounts.  Most of the other accounts functioned fine during OSU after doing Reset Account but a few would require Reset Account to be done on multiple occasions and this issue did not go away until after I did the hard deactivate/reactivate.  And if you do a search you'll find some other users have posted that they, too, ended up needing to deactivate/reactivate some of their accounts to get reliable connections reestablished for them.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    I spoke too soon. Today, my Citi checking, savings and Costco card would not update (strangely enough, Macys did). Reset worked for the Costco card but not the checking/savings, so I did the deactivate/reactivate. Started getting various warnings (not numbered). Restored file, got more warnings (OL 800 account was deleted, etc). Finally got it working, all transactions came down, but there was a $.05 discrepancy in my checking account. Did the whole routine again, with the same result. I did an adjustment even though it was balanced last night.  I ran Validate, which came up with no errors. As of now, its ok. I'll see what happens tomorrow. Ugh, this is getting to be a royal pain in the butt.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @mrzookie Are you in the US, because if you are you can setup your Costco credit card with Direct Connect using "Citi Cards" instead of "Citibank".  My Costco credit card is setup that way and I have never had any problems with it.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note in the past just using "Citi Cards" would default to Direct Connect, now the default seems to be Express Web Connect, so be sure to go through the Advance settings when setting it up to make sure you get Direct Connect.
    Signature:
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW
    How exactly do I make the switch to direct connect? I assume I have to deactivate and reactivate the account in quicken, but where/when do I get the option to choose citi cards and DC? 
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Did it. It failed the first couple of times until I realized I had to do the Citi data management permissions thing. After that, went OK. No dupes, which surprised me since I have about 20 transactions over the last 30 days. One very bizarre data issue, but I won't trouble you with that. It seems to be updating - no errors and the last download date/time is changing as it should. I won't know if there are any issues until Mon or Tues as Costco doesn't process transactions over the weekend, but I'm not expecting any.

Thanks for all your help.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention about needing to authorized it at the Citi website, I'm glad you got that to work.

Good news on the duplicates.  It really depends on who generating the unique Ids.
    The reason it is called Express Web Connect is because when they started they really only fetched the "Web Connect/QFX" file that was generated by the financial institution.  And as such that should be the same as what is returned through Direct Connect.  But as time went on to support other financial institutions that didn't generate QFX files they would convert them and in that case Intuit would be creating the unique Ids, which  of course would be different that what the financial institution would do.

So you get lucky on this one.  I believe the same is true for Chase.
    Signature:
  • Jerry5
    Jerry5 Member
    I am having problems with my Express Web Connect accounts also. This started right after Quicken changed my connection from FDS to QCS around October 15. All my Direct Connect accounts work, but my credit cards EWC accounts do not work right. Bank of America apparently downloads and automatically post the transaction into the account. I prefer to manually accept each transaction. The preference option is set for this. The One Step Update shows the process was successful, but zero transaction downloaded even though transactions were downloaded. My Capital One account does not do any downloads. Also during the One Step Update, the EWC accounts show nothing but "waiting". They previously showed "complete" when finished.

I have tried the suggestions stated in these discussions, but nothing works for me.

I have not had any downloaded transaction reported from any of my EWC accounts since the Oct. 15 date.

Quicken support, will you check into this and provide the appropriate solution?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Jerry5,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Being that the issue you are experiencing can have multiple causes, and since the previous steps provided have unfortunately failed thus far, at this point, I recommend that you contact Quicken Support instead for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit. 

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.
    -Quicken Anja
  • jeff volz
    jeff volz Member ✭✭
    I also was having issues with my One Step Updates specific to EWC credit card transactions. I remembered on one of them (Costco), that my wife and I each have a card with different account numbers. Be sure to list the "main account" as the account being used to login and download transactions.
This discussion has been closed.