Revamp the logic behind Suggestions for Scheduled Transactions

The suggest feature has been around for many years, and I recall that it used to work pretty well. But for the past few years, the pop-up suggestions when entering a transaction are wildly random and unhelpful. For example, I'll enter a transfer of $1,000 to my savings account and Quicken will pop up: "Is this your scheduled payment to Comcast?"

Um, no it isn't.

It will then cycle through all my normal scheduled transactions, and I have to click "no" about 8 times. It used to work pretty well, only suggesting when the payee matched, but now it's just a nuisance.
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think the main thing that should be implemented is an option to turn this off.

It is nothing more than a guess no matter what logic they use.  It is much better to get the reminder entered into the register first and match that with the downloaded transaction instead of trying to do it the other way around.  And most long term users do that, and any of these guesses/prompting are wrong and as such a nuisance.

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Personally I think the main thing that should be implemented is an option to turn this off.

This option has been there all the time ...
    • Go into Tools / Manage Bill and Income Reminders
    • Click Options in the upper right
    • Mouse over Suggest Reminders to open that 2nd popup.
    • Unclick any of the 4 selections that have a checkmark, specifically #1 and 2.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    @UKR We are talking about different things.  And maybe I'm wrong about what @KenBrooks is talking about.

I have the option you have listed off, they are not what I was talking about.
    If you turn them on, all you get is this at the bottom of the Bill and Income Reminders window.

As in suggest reminders based on the fact that I have repeating transactions every month that I haven't setup reminders for.

This isn't a "pop-up suggestion".

From what I know the pop-up suggestions that @KenBrooks is talking about is the one you get when you enter a transaction into the register and it searches for a reminder in the "near future" that might be a match for it.

The search/matching is very inconsistent, because it seems to be a guess at similar payee names, and approximate amounts and such.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/