All Quicken Sounds stopped working

bbethke
bbethke Member ✭✭✭
I am using R30.9 Quicken for WIndows on laptop with Windows 10. Quicken sounds used to work but no longer do. Yes, the Quicken Preferences for sound is checked. Yes, volume is turned up. Yes, Windows Sound panel, when going to "Program Events" then Quicken have all sounds listed and as I select each Quicken sound and click on "Test" the sound plays fine. Opening and closing Quicken does not help. Quicken opening sound never plays when Quicken opens. Sounds work normal for all other programs. There is only a sound problem with Quicken. By searching sound problems in forum there are many, many postings so this is a common problem, but the above are the only things that I see to check. Is this a common bug in Quicken? Is there a work-around until the program is fixed?

Answers

• Claude Blouin
    Claude Blouin Member ✭✭✭
    Are you sure yyou are using R30.9 ???
    Latest Quicken US release is R29.22
    Latest Quicken Canada release is R28.15
    Using Quicken Deluxe Canada 2020 Subscription Release R32.10
  • bbethke
    bbethke Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Sorry you are working with an older version, Claude. But the point is about the sound problems, which you did not respond to, so why respond at all? However, I had the same sound problems with the older R29 versions also, if it is one of the older versions that you are using. So the sound problems are not version dependant.
  • Sally7
    Sally7 Member
    I am having the same problem. Ver. R29.22 Quicken for Windows on laptop. I opened Quicken for first time in 2 wks. and no sound. Yes sound in marked in preferences. Sound is working for everything except Quicken. Sounds like Quicken has a problem. Is there a fix? Windows did have an update during this time.
  • bbethke
    bbethke Member ✭✭✭
    The only other thing I saw in the forum was to check Windows Sound settings (mine is fine). You can go to Control Panel-Sound, click on "Sounds" tab and scroll down to Quicken and there should be several sounds listed under Quicken. Select each one and click on "Test" to make sure you hear them. This all works for me, so my problem is something else
  • Sally7
    Sally7 Member
    Gave Control Panel-Sounds a try. Quicken had no sounds associated with it at all. I can assign a sound to different task, open, close, click, etc. When I did this and opened Quicken I had sound. Just not what I am used to. I submitted the problem to Quicken. Waiting for a response before I set my own sounds.
  • Sally7
    Sally7 Member
    Okay, I'm feeling a little dumb. I figured out my problem. I set a new desktop theme that I didn't realize had no sound. When I changed the theme, I got all my sound back. Hope you get yours figured out. Thanks for the Control Panel tip. I don't think I would have found the problem if not for that.
  • bbethke
    bbethke Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Glad I was able to help you, Sally. I wish my fix were so easy. I still have no sound in Quicken and no help yet. Now that we can only rent the program and cannot email support anymore, even with an active subscription, I am hoping someone from Quicken will provide help in this forum.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    bbethke said:
    Glad I was able to help you, Sally. I wish my fix were so easy. I still have no sound in Quicken and no help yet. Now that we can only rent the program and cannot email support anymore, even with an active subscription, I am hoping someone from Quicken will provide help in this forum.
     If your sounds just recently went away it might have been a faulty patch install.  I see you were on the stage release version which isn't released to everybody yet.  You should be able to install the mondo patch through this link
    https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.30.9MPatch.EXE
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    By the way Intuit and Quicken Inc has never supported sending problems by email well that isn't completely true they did it for a very short period of time and found it wasn't worth it. You need to use their contact form to to use chat or the phone you can also find the phone number in your quicken.com account.

You can find the contact on the help menu.
    Signature:
  • bbethke
    bbethke Member ✭✭✭
    The sounds were gone before the last update Quicken requested I install. And installing the update gave no error messages. So the bug in Quicken with sounds was begun in a prior version and were not fixed by the last update Quicken asked me to do. However, I will download and install the patch you suggested and report the status.

In the decades I have used Quicken I used to be able to submit bugs in Quicken and get help via email to get work-arounds until they were fixed. But it seemed that Quicken would introduce more and more new bugs with every release, especially after Intuit lost Quicken. And then not only were bugs harder to submit and get feedback on, but there were a lot more bugs introduced. When we are forced to rent a program one would expect better support. Chat has never been able to help with issues I have contacted them about, probably because the very limited resources and training they have. Every chat I have done (after a wasted hour or more) ends up by them telling me to call in. So chat has been not at all useful. Since Quicken has gone into a "rent-only" program and forcing us to have internet and subscription to even look at our own locally stored datafile I have looked for alternates, but have been unsuccessful. So I remain as one of the many forced subscribers. I will send a message after the Mondo update.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure yyou are using R30.9 ???
    Latest Quicken US release is R29.22
    Latest Quicken Canada release is R28.15
    Got update notice for

Version R30.09 (November, 2020)

Quicken Deluxe Subscription; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • bbethke
    bbethke Member ✭✭✭
    Again, I do not think this is a version problem, since I had no sound with the prior v29 either. But I did download and install the huge Mondo "patch" successfully and it did not help at all. Quicken is still version R30.9. Quicken works fine (except no sound). One-step update was able to update all 8 FIs and 23 accounts successfully. And not that I thought my data file has anything to do with this, but a SuperValidate found the same error it occasionally finds. It claims there is an invalid transaction and claims is repaired. It is listed as 'ACCT_19e1" 0/0/1900' but there has never been an account with that name and no transaction date older than 1980. I then closed Quicken and did another SuperValidate and then there were 0 errors. But sometime in the future a SuperValidate will come up with the same bogus error, which it says it fixes. This has gone on for some time, but does not seem to affect my data, so I have ignored this bug.

Of course none of this has anything to do with the absence of Quicken sounds. Preferences-Setup still has "Turn on Quicken Sounds" checked. Windows Sounds still shows the Quicken sounds all listed and selecting and "test" plays them. All other applications play sounds normally. However, closing and opening Quicken (or any other Quicken action) still has no sounds. What should I check next?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, the sounds going away usually have to do with an install problem not the version of Quicken you are running.  The Windows sound settings can only be changed with administrator privileges turned on like they are during an install.  That is why that kind of thing is done during an install.

You might try this procedure to get a clean uninstall and then reinstall.  Also if you are installing on a disk other than C: there was a time when people reported that kind of problem, and even moving the sound files to C: worked for them.
    Using QcleanUI to Fix Installation Issues with Quicken for Windows

But in reality I really can't give a lot of tips on this especially if the sounds work from the Windows Sound dialog.
    Signature:
  • bbethke
    bbethke Member ✭✭✭
    Sounds have worked for decades and worked with 2020 install, until the last few weeks. All that was done since then was the updates Quicken pushes. As I said, the WIndows sounds are fine and if I open Windows sounds and scroll down to Quicken sounds, they all work there when I click on "test" for each one. So it is not like Quicken could not set up the sounds during install. The last install was over a year ago and Quicken sounds worked for almost a year. So only updates, not installs have occurred a couple weeks ago when sounds were lost.

Does anyone from Quicken ever help users in this forum from with bugs in their software or does Quicken leave finding work-arounds for their bugs up to other paying users only? Support got so much worse after Intuit sold this.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @bbethke First off every patch is an "install" so you have certainly had many installs happen, the last one wasn't a year ago.

This forum is mostly a user to user forum with the moderators also jumping in to help when they can.

Here is the link for Quicken support which is also under the Help menu.
    Contact Quicken Support
    Signature:
  • bbethke
    bbethke Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    A small update is not a new install. A new install would mean to uninstall all, remove registry entries and install the new program from scratch. These patches don't do that, but instead modify some of the program files.

Sounds like the forum isn't much better than their chat. Almost impossible to get support, except for wasting hours calling in, waiting on hold, etc. But guess that is the only recourse for help now that Intuit is gone. Just keeps getting worse.

But thank you for your inputs. We'll see if anyone from Quicken actually helps with unsolved cases.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing "small" about their updates. They are over 300MB in size.

As for support I have been on Quicken forums since about 2007 and as far as I can see Quicken Inc is at least as good as Intuit, and in fact I would rate them better than Intuit ever was.  On the other hand you are never going to find a "drop everything and help this one customer with this minor problem, as if the world is coming to an end" kind of support.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.