Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Memories are short!

Chris_QPW
Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in The Water Cooler
I love how people post how wonderful the support was with Intuit, and how it is so bad now.
That is certainly not how I remember it.  I certainly wouldn't give Quicken Inc a "world class" rating on their support, but there isn't any way it is worse than the support Intuit gave.  I would even say it is better.

It is like with Quicken Bill Pay, I watched many a threads telling how bad it was.
And then when it was gone it was all of a sudden the best thing that happened to Quicken in 30 years.  Of course if you are comparing it to Quicken Bill Manager that is probably true.

But it just another example of what I think of "short/selective memories".   :)
Signature:
(I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    The complaints that crack me up are the ones that claim quality declined after Quicken was divested by Intuit and acquired by HIG Capital.
    What the complainers don't realize is that (as far as I know), the Quicken staff was acquired essentially intact. It's not a bunch of newbies, it's the same people (with one notable and lamentable exception) who've been performing development & QA for years. Quality changes due to the acquisition are imaginary.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • rmacbeth
    rmacbeth Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    I also want to add my 2 cents to this discussion.  Quicken has had its growing pains over the years, but one thing is for sure it is so much better than it has been when it was attached to Intuit, having been a beta tester for many years both with Intuit and continued during the divested from Intuit and continue today. Support has been better and the product both Mac and Windows have grown most of the time for the better.  Has it had had hiccups as happens with growing pains, with trial and error with some new features (Bill Manager - which I do not use).
    Rich
    A User of Quicken since DOS days, Retired from IBM as Sr Systems Management, was one of the leading Internet Security people in the world and retired from the Military
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Among all the financial management products out there, Quicken remains cut above all combined.  Yes I am talking about that product but that ultimately means the people behind it.
    Slightly off topic, one thing I don't understand: Why is Q's Bill Mgr/Pay is so important to users? Given that (a) many seem to experience issues and (b) most banks offer very robust bill pay systems.
    I have never used it since not only I automated 95% of my bills thru my bank's bill pay website back in mid 2000's, but also those couple that I login to initiate a payment take only seconds to complete.  So why would one want to use a middleman that introduces a potential point of failure?  (this comment is not Q bashing)
    - Q Win Deluxe user since 2010, US Subs R32.12
    - I don't use Sync, Cloud, Mobile, Web, Bill Pay/Mgr, Tax
    - Techie, Win10 Pro x64 20H2
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Also some banks also offer bill pay through Quicken, using Direct Connect. There is often a monthly charge for this unless you are a big customer at the bank.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • rmacbeth
    rmacbeth Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    @BK, that also is the same reason I didn't use Quicken's version due to the fact that my credit union does a great job for free for the past 3-4 years. I do use Quicken for my accounting since DOS days, it's the best out there, hands down No one is even close.
    Rich
    A User of Quicken since DOS days, Retired from IBM as Sr Systems Management, was one of the leading Internet Security people in the world and retired from the Military
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BK said:
    Among all the financial management products out there, Quicken remains cut above all combined.  Yes I am talking about that product but that ultimately means the people behind it.
    Slightly off topic, one thing I don't understand: Why is Q's Bill Mgr/Pay is so important to users? Given that (a) many seem to experience issues and (b) most banks offer very robust bill pay systems.
    I have never used it since not only I automated 95% of my bills thru my bank's bill pay website back in mid 2000's, but also those couple that I login to initiate a payment take only seconds to complete.  So why would one want to use a middleman that introduces a potential point of failure?  (this comment is not Q bashing)
    I think the problem was Quicken attempted to market Quicken Bill Manager with Quick Pay and Quick Check as an improved replacement for Quicken Bill Pay.  Users of Quicken Bill Pay benefited from the flexibility Quicken Bill Pay provided of enabling online payments to be issued from within Quicken against any of their payment accounts.   

In my opinion, if users still want to be able to issue online payments from within Quicken, they should use any of the over 500 financial institutions that provide online payment services over the Direct Connect connection method.  Otherwise, they should consider that today most online billers may be set to automatically charge a credit card or withdraw from a checking account and most financial institution provide free bill pay services. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with all that people have said, above, great comments.

I'm going to add something else, an observation.

With Intuit if you there was a bug that was years old no matter how small, actually especially if it was a small one, the likelihood that it would get fixed in Quicken Windows was practically nil.

I have seen many of such problems that have been addressed since it became Quicken Inc.  To list a few, Delete multiple transactions from the Downloaded Transactions tab, specifying the location of automatic backups, custom asset classes, choosing the default lot assignments, offering to change past transactions when you change a category, ...

These tend to get "drowned out", by when something is changed and doesn't work right, or for that matter one disagrees with the change, which most of the time is because the "majority" disagrees and wants it some different way, or it doesn't fit what Quicken Inc feels is their business model going forward.

Change is a double edge sword.  It is highly unlikely you are going to get the changes you want without some that you don't or without some problems.  I know that a lot of people would like Quicken to never change (except for the things they want changed of course!), but if Quicken Inc is to stay in business they do have to change.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/