Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Is Quicken for MAC worth trying again

USMCUSMC Member
edited November 2020 in Before you Buy
Is Quicken for MAC improved enough to be useable/reliable? If it is, how so?
I tried Quicken for MAC a few years ago and found it was unusable. Data transfer was jacked up beyond recognition, worked with it but had to go back to my PC and windows version. In my opinion the software then was complete garbage.
I have been using Quicken for windows and Turbo Tax for well over 20 years without issue. This is pretty much the sole reason I still use my PC, now with TurboTax this year I'm forced to install Windows 10 on my PC which I have been avoiding at all cost until now.
Thanks

Best Answers

Answers

• USMCUSMC Member
    I took your suggestion and installed the software and transferred a current backup file. Transfer and the program worked without error.
    There are differences in manipulation but so far I'm very satisfied.
    The only thing I haven't been able to adjust to suit me is the order of accounts in the right side bar. Everything else seems to be very intuitive.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Quicken FranciscoQuicken Francisco Moderator mod
    edited November 2020
    @USMC

I'm glad to hear that overall the program has been working out so far! Accounts are organized alphabetically but I do think it's also nice to organize your accounts individually. It is planned to be added into quicken but we have no ETA when that will be. I'll leave the thread down below for you to see.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7320975/add-option-to-sort-accounts-by-name-in-quicken-for-mac-71-legacy-votes#latest

If you have any other questions feel free to post on another thread or make your own!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • John_MJohn_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @USMC If you get stuck on anything, let people here know. There are many helpful folks who are very willing to share their knowledge.
  • Rick GrossmanRick Grossman Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Hi. I think I've Quicken, Quickbooks, QB POS of one variety or another going back easily 20 years. (Online, Mac, Windows). I know they have separated, but it feels like I've been family (after a lot of fights over the table and a divorce.) I stopped for a few years and started up again this Feb with Quicken Premier for Mac after after a few failed attempts last year.. It's been stable and hasn't crashed and appears to be accurate.....that's the baseline. D

Online help and selecting the right versions have been confusing. I would hope I would get only the information for my version/platform, but....

I have found a few things it will not do. It will : NOT automatically update each day. I must open it and am going to see if Automator will do that for me. There are a few things I need to search around for, but I've found them. It also appears that the Net Worth Report over time only works by month, but strangely enough if I ran it by category I could do it by week.

I wanted to lookup the ticker symbols so I could kick myself over some transactions in March. I figured I could see today's value of some stocks I sold, The report didn't show the symbols....I didn't think they were here, but I found them under the windows tab. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ That still doesn't help as the name in the report seems to be truncated and I have families of funds. I guess I could look up the stock value on that day, but it's a step I'd rather not have to do. I wish the report provided me with the ticker symbol and a way to research the fund instead of opening a window and doing it in my browser.

It seems to handle the basics, and I'll give it a B or B-.

I should take off another point. There are 16 emotiocons listed above, but as you type, it suggests four and the worst is neutral. [removed - off-topic/disruptive/political]. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Tilting at Windmills
  • RickORickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It will NOT  automatically update each day.  I must open it and am going to see if Automator will do that for me.
    That's true, it will not automatically update each day. You have to click the update button. Automator or AppleScript won't help with this. The only fix for this that I'm aware of is to use a third party tool such as Keyboard Maestro ($36) which you can easily set up to invoke the Update All menu item each time Quicken opens. That's a lot of $ to avoid clicking one button. But then again, KM is a very useful tool for lots of other functions.
    It also appears that the Net Worth Report over time only works by month
    Don't use Net Worth Over Time. That's an old format report. Use the new Net Worth by (timeframe) reports. They give you seven options for the interval from a week all the way up to a year.
    I wanted to lookup the ticker symbols so I could kick myself over some transactions in March. I figured I could see today's value of some stocks I sold, The report didn't show the symbols.

True that Transaction reports don't include the symbol. However, you can show the symbol as a column in the register. Then filter the register using the filter menus and search box. You can then print the result as a report via File > Print. Also, the Portfolio views can show the symbol as well. In Portfolio view, if you click a security name, then Security Overview, it will take you directly to the investing.quicken.com web page for that security's details.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • USMCUSMC Member
    I've been using Quicken Deluxe on my iMAC in addition to the PC version for about 3 weeks now and it behaves perfectly, huge improvement over the version I tried a few years ago. I also like the appearance of the MAC version better. I'm going to keep the two versions going for a while longer but it looks like MAC is going to be the winner.
    I have been a TurboTax user for over 20 years and have always been satisfied. Since my windows download is not useable without Windows10 I've made several requests for a download version for my MAC without any response what so ever. Any suggestions about how to get an answer from them? I certainly don't want pay another $70 for another download or upgrade my PC to Windows10. I've commented before that my wife has a laptop with W10 on it and I hate it.
    Thanks for all the input from the community.
  • @USMC

I'm glad to hear that you've been liking the Mac version since you've been using it. As for Turbotax I'm not too familiar with the product since it's been a few years since Quicken has separated from Intuit. I think it may be best for you to try posting on the Turbotax forums to see if other users may also have some input on what to do in your situation. I'll leave a link below to their community forums. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/file-with-turbotax/discussion/03/303

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
This discussion has been closed.