Quicken Locks up every time I open the file

I am unable to open the program. It locks up every time it loads. I have Quicken 27.1.29.22
Windows 10 Home
Version 1909
OS Build 18363.1198

Need to use task manager to close the program

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • msf107
    msf107 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    C:\Users\******\Documents/quicken/*******.qdf
    The Controlled Folder Access is not an available option for me (even though it's my personal laptop and I am the only user/administrator). I use Dropbox for the backup files.
    I tried uninstalling the latest Windows 10 update as the problem started after that.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using Windows 10 Version 20H2 and Quicken works fine. Have you tried upgrading to 20H2? Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and running Quicken?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps your installation of Quicken is corrupted. I would suggest going to quicken.com and download the installer and reinstall.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • msf107
    msf107 Member ✭✭
    I have updated Windows 10 and reinstalled the Quicken software. Still have the same problems.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it is time to involve support available at this link...
    Official Quicken® Support - Phone, Chat, or Community
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file, for example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
    Usually your file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,
      • uninstall Quicken using this procedure:
        http://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
      • When done, reboot your computer and then reinstall Quicken from  your account at quicken.com or your installation CD or saved downloaded installation file and allow it to update to the latest available patch release level.

• msf107
    msf107 Member ✭✭
    Tried the above. Worked for about 10 minutes then froze again. Now will not open again. Called quicken support-they said sounds like a corrupted file and their only suggestion was to go back through backups until I find one that doesn't crash the computer. Not helpful.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    > Called quicken support-they said sounds like a corrupted file and their only suggestion was to go back through backups until I find one that doesn't crash the computer
    I'm sorry, but that's about as helpful as it's gonna get. If your Quicken data file has become damaged in a way that Quicken cannot repair, your only way out of this hole is to restore your data file from a prior backup. Find one that allows Quicken to open it, if necessary going back to older backup files until you find one that works, then run Step 2 of this procedure to validate the data file with a fine-tooth comb.

• msf107
    msf107 Member ✭✭
    So.....I did all of the above-
    Uninstalled/reinstalled Quicken and cleaned previous versions
    Found a backup that would open
    Ran File Validation-several errors found and corrected
    Used Quicken for a day without issue (backed up changed file)
    Since that day, the file will not open (freezes again) and the backup will not open (freezes).
    HELP