Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How can one determine the expiration date of the retail package's included activation code?

JBJB Member ✭✭
According to Quicken FAQ :
"Can I use a retail copy of the Subscription Release of Quicken to extend my membership?
Yes, but you can only redeem the activation code in the retail copy to extend your subscription in the last six months of your current subscription term. Note: Activation codes expire 24 months after being generated."

1. Given the retail pack contains a "generated activation code" how can we tell when it will expire. Is there a date code on the retail pack?
2. Does the 24 month valid period, include the subscription period or does it mean you have 24 months once issued to initialize a 12 month subscription?
3. I see a lot of Quicken deluxe 2018 -2020 for sale online. Are the activation codes still good in those packages or are they scams?

Best Answer

Answers

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    The 2018 version activation codes do not expire.  The two year expiration started with the 2019 version.
    Since the versions come out in the Fall of the year before the year of the version (Fall 2019 was when Quicken 2020 was released) and they used to always release the new version in October, it has been assumed that they use a date near October 1st as the start of the two year life span of the activation code.
    I looked at Quicken.com and Amazon just now and they aren't referring to any year in the most recent sales information.  There are references to 2019 and 2020 at Amazon, but no year on Quicken.com.
    What I am leading to is that the future isn't clear and I will flag this question for the lead moderator to investigate and hopefully provide an Official response from Quicken.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JBJB Member ✭✭
    So are you saying if i purchase the 2018 deluxe I should be able to use it to renew my current subscription?
  • TomAtoTomAto Member
    I just contacted Quicken help to identify when a retail Quicken 2019 package I just purchased from Target expires. The Quicken agent said there is no way to know when the code was generated unless the package is opened. Unfortunately, once the package is opened it can't be returned. The agent said no one at Quicken had information on when Quicken 2019 activation codes were first produced.
    Assuming the Quicken 2019 I just purchased was produced in October or November 2018, it may already be expired. Beware, even reputable retailers may be selling out of date Quicken products that cannot be activated. Be sure to only purchase Quicken with the current calendar year date on it. I will be returning the Quicken I just purchased to Target.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    TomAto said:
    I just contacted Quicken help to identify when a retail Quicken 2019 package I just purchased from Target expires. The Quicken agent said there is no way to know when the code was generated unless the package is opened. Unfortunately, once the package is opened it can't be returned. The agent said no one at Quicken had information on when Quicken 2019 activation codes were first produced.
    Assuming the Quicken 2019 I just purchased was produced in October or November 2018, it may already be expired. Beware, even reputable retailers may be selling out of date Quicken products that cannot be activated. Be sure to only purchase Quicken with the current calendar year date on it. I will be returning the Quicken I just purchased to Target.
    @TomAto
    Word of caution, posting the same complaint multiple times on this forum could be considered spamming by the moderators and get your post deleted and yourself being banned.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.