Fidelity Investments registers not opening correctly

On November 14 I used Q and Fidelity Invest Registers opened and updated just Fine.  I have 2 Acct; 2 registers for Fidelity...all different acct Numbers.

On November 16, when I opened Q I got a forced Update to and Q was updated to R30.9.

When I opened Q following this Update to look at several Registers....all seemed normal until I opened a Fidelity Register.  The Fidelity Register instead of opening to the Normaol register display, it opened to a page with 4 Charts....the page was split into 4 sections with a Different Chart in each quadrant.  I see the Acct name and acct number shown in the top; all is correct.  But the 4 Charts are TOTAL VALUE/TOP MOVERS/PORTFOLIO BY SECURITY/VALUE OVER TIME.

I opened the other 2 Fidelity registers; they also displayed with the same 4 Charts...specifically for the Acct.  I opened a backup File....the Fidelity accts in the backup Files displays the SAME charts....none of the 3 Fidelity Registers will display the Normal Register appearance. 

I have other Investment registers with Vanguard; they are just fine. 

I contacted Q; Chat said there was an OPEN ALERT on this issue....and initially would not set a Call back for further assistance...then they id set a call back.  But thus far no call back even though I chatted again today 20 hours after I was told a call would be placed...confirmed a call back would be made shortly...and still...No Call.

The only common thing between my IN USE data File, and, a backup data File...is the Updated Q version R30.9...how could a Software version impact one particular Financial Institutions Registers?  Makes no sense...

Answers

• Wow,
    I opened Q on 11/16 early AM and did a normal update all accounts and when it finished I notice the Q updates available notice at the top of the Window. As I had not saved my one step I declined the update to 30.9 and closed the pop up that came after the one step. All accounts updated new transactions properly including my Fidelity accounts. When I went back several hours later Q update could not connect to the server and this AM it said I had the latest update @ 29.22.
    The chart names info you listed above are charts available on my Fidelity home page so it looks like Fidelity sent the wrong info (just a thought). Good luck I hope this gets fixed for you.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    @denmarfl - What you are describing is the Simple tracking view which tracks only the value of the account, not all of the transactions data of the traditional Complete tracking view.  It was available as a beta option in R29.22 but in R30.9 it was cut in as a regular program feature option.
    Unfortunately, when R30.9 is installed it caused some investment accounts for some users to switch from Complete tracking to Simple tracking.  That was not supposed to happen.
    Also, unfortunately, for some of these people, switching back to Complete tracking from Simple tracking has caused some securities prices to change to $1.00.
    There is a thread on this that you might want to read:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20131779#Comment_20131779.  On the 3rd page of this thread is a posting from one of the Moderators with some instructions about what can be done if you are experiencing this issue...especially if you revert to Complete tracking and find that securities prices that have changed to $1.00 per share.  If you want to be kept informed of additional updates to this post thread, bookmark it by clicking on the star to the right of the post title.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.24 on Windows 10)
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭
    I can answer and hopefully help others....I did get a call back from Quicken tech....this issue was caused in a round about way due to the Q 30.9 Update.

The issue was a change made to Investment Register displays that lets a user view Investment Displays in Normal Display or Charts.  For some reason this Software change in R30.9 played differently with the Fidelity Servers than with others and therefore why it impacted my Fidelity Registers and Not Vanguards.

To get the Fidelity Investment Display back to the Normal Register display, go to Account/ click on impacted Acct/ click on EDIT....at the bottom right of the ACCOUNTS DETAILS window you will see  "TRACKING METHODS"...you'll see SIMPLE or COMPLETE.  

The Fidelity Accts was bulleted SIMPLE....changing it to COMPLETE...my Normal Fidelity Registers are now back to the Normal Investment register display. 

This selection SIMPLE/COMPLETE was a Change added in the R30.9 Software Update.....not even sure in my opinion of any benefit to adding this feature.....  I had a feeling when I saw the issue that it had something to do with how the register was to be VIEWED but could Find no such Menu item....who knew Q would tuck it away in ACCT DETAILS 

Hope this helps others...as other Financial Institutions may be impacted from this Software update as well.... 

• Boatnmaniac
    Wow,
    I opened Q on 11/16 early AM and did a normal update all accounts and when it finished I notice the Q updates available notice at the top of the Window. As I had not saved my one step I declined the update to 30.9 and closed the pop up that came after the one step. All accounts updated new transactions properly including my Fidelity accounts. When I went back several hours later Q update could not connect to the server and this AM it said I had the latest update @ 29.22.
    The chart names info you listed above are charts available on my Fidelity home page so it looks like Fidelity sent the wrong info (just a thought). Good luck I hope this gets fixed for you.
    Because of the issues identified with R30.9, Quicken has paused roll-out of it which is probably why you are seeing that you have the latest revision at R29.22.
    What is concerning is that you have R29.22 and it sounds like your revision cut in Simple tracking for your Fidelity accounts.  Simple tracking view looks like this:
    Is this what you are seeing and is your Quicken still at R30.9?  If so, this should not have happened.  Simple Beta was available in R29.22 as an option but that should not have been impacted by the general release of Simple in R30.9.  Even with R30.9, no investment accounts should have been switched during the update to Simple tracking.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2020
    denmarfl said:
    I can answer and hopefully help others....I did get a call back from Quicken tech....this issue was caused in a round about way due to the Q 30.9 Update.

The issue was a change made to Investment Register displays that lets a user view Investment Displays in Normal Display or Charts.  For some reason this Software change in R30.9 played differently with the Fidelity Servers than with others and therefore why it impacted my Fidelity Registers and Not Vanguards.

To get the Fidelity Investment Display back to the Normal Register display, go to Account/ click on impacted Acct/ click on EDIT....at the bottom right of the ACCOUNTS DETAILS window you will see  "TRACKING METHODS"...you'll see SIMPLE or COMPLETE.  

The Fidelity Accts was bulleted SIMPLE....changing it to COMPLETE...my Normal Fidelity Registers are now back to the Normal Investment register display. 

This selection SIMPLE/COMPLETE was a Change added in the R30.9 Software Update.....not even sure in my opinion of any benefit to adding this feature.....  I had a feeling when I saw the issue that it had something to do with how the register was to be VIEWED but could Find no such Menu item....who knew Q would tuck it away in ACCT DETAILS 

Hope this helps others...as other Financial Institutions may be impacted from this Software update as well.... 

I wish it were as simple as this and that what you were told was 100% true but it is not.  There appears to be something more random at play here.  I have Fidelity accounts in 4 different regular data files and in 3 different test data files and none of my Fidelity accounts were affected.  While there have been people posting that their Fidelity accounts were affected by this there have been others who have posted that investment accounts (such as UBS and, yes, Vanguard, too) were affected.
    If you do end up switching back to Complete tracking from Simple tracking, be sure to take a look at your security prices.  Some have reported that their security prices changed to $1.00.
    BTW, Simple tracking was implemented because some users want a big picture view of their investments rather than seeing/tracking all the details.  Users should be given the option of selecting which view they want as their default and, unfortunately, updating to R30.9 did not provide that option.  On the positive side, at least the intent is that users can switch back and forth between the tracking methods.
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭
    Well for me, so far, simply using Accounts and clicking from SIMPLE to COMPLETE....resolved my issues and all stocks quoted prices are correct.

When an Update is pushed out I always read what's new/fixes...and I did s  before installing R30.9, I am sure this Simple/Complete Option was in the List...but like many of the so called enhancements I read, it did mean a thing to me.  But tucking this setting in Account Details window rather than in the Registers, Gear drop down menu...where I looked as soon as I saw this issue, for me made it impossible to resolve this issue without further direction from Quicken CALL BACK support.  in the Chart View (SIMPLE) the Gear drop down menu is even different from the COMPLETE view.....and had no menu relating to VIEW.

The other issue I have, CHAT Support was telling me my Data File was corrupt...and I needed to try a Backup...and I refused to follow their directions...as I felt it was not a corrupted File.....and by refusing to try a backup file, saved myself lots of wasted time.  I was especially certain it was not a corrupts file when I found just my 3 Fidelity Investment Register impacted and no other Investment Registers......

Hope this thread helps others
This discussion has been closed.