File gets corrupted when downloading transactions, best options?

:'( My day came to an unexpected halt today when I found that I could not download transactions from one bank. My current Quicken data file is about 8 years old. I spent nearly 3 hours, with 3 different agents, who attempted to fix the problem, however, when I succeeded in downloading the missing transactions, other balances on other accounts changed to incorrect values, categories I had previously set got reset. The sad conclusion from the 3rd agent was that the data file was corrupted beyond repair, and I had two options, 1.) keep restoring backups until I found a file that was not corrupted, 2.) start over again with a new data file. I'm pretty shocked! How can these files get so corrupted, beyond repair, with no options to fix them?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of a Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
  • Hi Sherlock, thanks so much for your response. Actually, I continually try to avoid syncing to a cloud account, because I do not use it . . . I work only with the Windows desktop application, and do not access my Quicken data with any other device. Despite trying to disable cloud sync, it seems to keep happening.

I am not sure how many different cloud data sets I may have.

When the problem happened, I restored from a recent backup in the hope that I could clean it up.

Now, at the suggestion of the agent, I am creating a new dataset from scratch.

Edward
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    maestrovt said:
    Hi Sherlock, thanks so much for your response. Actually, I continually try to avoid syncing to a cloud account, because I do not use it . . . I work only with the Windows desktop application, and do not access my Quicken data with any other device. Despite trying to disable cloud sync, it seems to keep happening.

I am not sure how many different cloud data sets I may have.

When the problem happened, I restored from a recent backup in the hope that I could clean it up.

Now, at the suggestion of the agent, I am creating a new dataset from scratch.

Edward
    Unfortunately, even though we have not enabled sync and have not selected any accounts to sync, Quicken is synchronizing some data with the Quicken Cloud.  When we restore a Quicken file or open a copy of a Quicken file sync'd earlier, Quicken should reset the cloud account but Quicken is not automatically resetting the cloud account.  This means corrupt data in the cloud account may appear in the restored Quicken file when it is opened.  Deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file before restoring a Quicken file or open a copy of a Quicken file may resolve the issue if the data in the cloud account is corrupt.

The Quicken Support guidance provided earlier shows us how to delete the cloud account associated with a Quicken file.
This discussion has been closed.