Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Is Anyone Else Seeing This Odd EWC Behavior With US Bank or Any Other FI?

The last few days I noticed that US Bank would show up properly in the OSU Progress.

But when OSU was completed it would not show up in OSU Summary
And when I pulled up Account List it shows that Last Download for US Bank is "Not Available."
I know OSU worked properly because transactions did download into the US Bank accounts, Online Balance updates properly and the accounts in Quicken correlate well with what is shown in the US Bank online account.
I've never seen this kind of OSU behavior before and am wondering if anyone else is seeing this with US Bank or with any other FI?
(QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Last download information is maintained in the runtime.dat file within a Quicken file specific folder in the hidden \ProgramData\Quicken\Inet folder.  From your description, it appears the runtime.dat file is not updating correctly.  I suggest you exit Quicken, rename the runtime.dat file, open Quicken, examine the Last download information to confirm you have renamed the appropriate runtime.dat file, and perform the import to recreate the runtime.dat file.  If all goes well, you may remove the renamed file.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I renamed the runtime.dat file and opened Quicken.  Last Download info for all accounts said "Not Available" which is what I'm assuming it should have shown.
    Then I ran OSU which completed very fast...in fact, way too fast. OSU Summary showed no OSU run date and time but at least US Bank showed up, again.  Clicking on the "3 accounts updated" showed they were updated today but I think that was from the OSU run prior to starting this thread because the info here has no time stamp and it seems pretty apparent that OSU did not really run for the FIs...although it did run for Quotes.
    Account List also seems to confirm that OSU did not really run.
    I ran OSU 1 more time and then ran Update Now for all FIs with the same results.
    I then closed Quicken, reverted the renamed runtime.dat file and opened Quicken, again.  OSU worked, again, but still have the issue shown in my 1st post above.
    Any other ideas?
  • Boatnmaniac
    OK, I ran Validate & Repair and a bunch of transaction category "corrections" were made to a hidden temporary account....with transaction dates going back to well before the earliest date in any of the account registers.  This is really weird because I know for a fact that this data file was created new...not a copy of another older data file.
    Running OSU and Update Now still returned the same errors in Account List and OSU Summary...but new transactions and updated account online balances were correctly downloaded.
    Then I ran Super Validate...or tried to.  I got an error message that the data file is corrupt and the validation & repair cannot be completed.
    I went back 3 months restoring backup files.  They all exhibited the same issues and I got the same file corruption message when trying to run Super Validate.
    I then created a new file and transferred accounts data to it.  Online Services were set up for all appropriate accounts and the Accounts List and OSU Summary look good.  But:
    • A manual investment account transferred only the 1st transaction for each security.  Looks like this will need to be reconstructed...ugh!
    • All Reminders were stopped after just one instance and the next due dates were changed to "None".  The reminders are not editable nor can they be ignored or deleted.  If I can't find a way to fix this, I'll probably need to scrap this new file and start over, again...ugh!
    • Loan Accounts still show the Account Type as Liability but the Loan Registers are shot and now have only the functionality of a manual Cash Account....no way to edit loan details and view payment schedules.
    Well, at least I now know why OSU Summary and Account List weren't displaying properly in the original data file....it was hosed with only the tip of the iceberg being visible.  I've thought about just trying to live with the US Bank issue in Account List and OSU Summary but if that is truly just the tip of the iceberg it's only a matter of time before everything gets hosed.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    OK, I ran Validate & Repair and a bunch of transaction category "corrections" were made to a hidden temporary account....with transaction dates going back to well before the earliest date in any of the account registers.  This is really weird because I know for a fact that this data file was created new...not a copy of another older data file.
    Running OSU and Update Now still returned the same errors in Account List and OSU Summary...but new transactions and updated account online balances were correctly downloaded.
    Then I ran Super Validate...or tried to.  I got an error message that the data file is corrupt and the validation & repair cannot be completed.
    I went back 3 months restoring backup files.  They all exhibited the same issues and I got the same file corruption message when trying to run Super Validate.
    I then created a new file and transferred accounts data to it.  Online Services were set up for all appropriate accounts and the Accounts List and OSU Summary look good.  But:
    • A manual investment account transferred only the 1st transaction for each security.  Looks like this will need to be reconstructed...ugh!
    • All Reminders were stopped after just one instance and the next due dates were changed to "None".  The reminders are not editable nor can they be ignored or deleted.  If I can't find a way to fix this, I'll probably need to scrap this new file and start over, again...ugh!
    • Loan Accounts still show the Account Type as Liability but the Loan Registers are shot and now have only the functionality of a manual Cash Account....no way to edit loan details and view payment schedules.
    Well, at least I now know why OSU Summary and Account List weren't displaying properly in the original data file....it was hosed with only the tip of the iceberg being visible.  I've thought about just trying to live with the US Bank issue in Account List and OSU Summary but if that is truly just the tip of the iceberg it's only a matter of time before everything gets hosed.
    Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of a Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2020
    Thanks for the suggestion, @Sherlock .  I'd forgotten to mention that I'd already tried that (deleting the Cloud Account) with no improvement.  I just now tried it again but still got the same bad results. 
    I should have also mentioned that earlier I'd also deactivated/reactivated the US Bank accounts with no improvement.  And I have also deactivated those accounts and then added US Bank as 3 new accounts instead of linking them but had the same results.  It seems pretty obvious to me that there is a problem with US Bank but only in this data file.
    I think I'm going to sleep on it for the rest of today and take a fresh look at it, again, tomorrow.  In the meantime, if you think of anything else I can try I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.
  • Boatnmaniac
    I found no way to fix the data file so I bit the bullet and spent a good part of today creating a new file, importing the accounts data from the corrupted file, reconstructing an investment account and a couple of loan accounts and setting up all new Reminders and customized accounts.  BTW, the only way I could eliminate the non-editable, non-deletable Reminders that were in the imported data in the new file was to first delete all of the Reminders in the corrupted data file before exporting it to the new data file.
    The good part is that now I have a data file that appears to function properly and does not exhibit the issues noted above.  The bad part is the new data file size is about 60% of the size of the corrupted data file...I hope it's simply because the corrupted data file size was inflated due to the corruption and not because I didn't get the new file set up completely or correctly.  Ugh!
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Had you tried the Quicken Copy routine with the ignore errors option if did not copy?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Had you tried the Quicken Copy routine with the ignore errors option if did not copy?
    Yes, I did try that.  Still had the same issues. 
    I think something really hosed up the data file a while back but something happened (maybe the R30.9 update?) recently that brought it to the surface.  What makes me think that is that backup files I pulled up from months ago also had the same issues.  At first I thought that meant that maybe my installation had gotten corrupted but that didn't make sense because all of my other data files have had no issues.  But I did a Clean reinstall anyway to be safe...no improvement.  There's just too many issues with this particular data file:
    • Last Download dates were not showing up for US Bank in Account List...but transactions and online balances were downloading.
    • US Bank stopped showing up in OSU Summary.
    • Deactivating US Bank accounts and setting up new accounts for US Bank returned the same Account List and OSU Summary issues.
    • Validate & Repair corrected a LOT of transaction categories in a temporary hidden file...transaction dates preceded the creation date of the data file.
    • Super Validate returned an error message that the file was corrupt so it could not be validated.
    • Some investment account data that normally does export/import well in QIF was incomplete with a lot of transactions in an account (not all of them) missing.
    Oh, well, I've now got a new data file that seems to be working fine...and it only took up half of my weekend.  :/   On the bright side, I still have half a weekend left to do something else!  :)
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    R30.9 modified the data table structure; evidenced by the data log file showing additional data conversion. It should be a one-time event.

I suspect that your file had a form of corruption that the conversion process did not anticipate and that prevented it from making it compatible with the new structure.  Hopefully there are not too many cases with files in a condition like yours; but the odds say there probably are.

You might want to hang on to one of those old files in the event others start having the same type of issue.  Support may want to dive into a sanitized version of it to see where the cause of the problem lies.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I gave up on downloading my 5 USB accounts via EWC several years ago.  USB's implementation of EWC is just too flaky.
    NOW, for $3.95/mo I download the same 5 accounts via Direct Connect.
    That $3.95 is, IMNSHO, well worth the reduction in  aggravation.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Boatnmaniac
    If it were up to me, I would shut down those USB accounts and set up accounts with another bank that does not charge any bank fees nor anything for DC.  But this data file holds a family member's financials for whom I have POA (to help him manage his budget and spending).  He wants to stay with USB in part because he doesn't have to pay any fees for those accounts so I'm stuck with having to deal with it.  Fortunately, I've had very few problems with USB via EWC...until now.  And while USB is the FI that is having the issue in Account List and OSU Summary, all the other issues observed had nothing to do with USB or with EWC. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    My wife and I both have several accounts at USB, including our 2nd most used credit card and a HELOC.
    Changing banks simply isn't that easy.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Boatnmaniac
    Yes, having a CC and a HELOC does make changing banks a bigger task than simply changing checking and savings accounts.  Everyone needs to make up their own minds as to where the break even trade off point is between cost and effort and convenience.  For me the trade off point is often reached once a bank starts charging me anything.  But, as I said, the USB accounts (all are checking) in question are not mine and the person who owns them doesn't want to change banks and doesn't want to pay for DC so I'm kind of stuck with the USB EWC situation.
  • Mark Pedroia
    Mark Pedroia Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020