Scrolling Issues using the 'Enter Transaction' pulldown menu

While entering an investment transaction you need to select what kind of transaction it is (i.e. the 'Enter Transaction' dialogue where you select buy, sell, transfer, etc). To do this I click on the pull down arrow next to 'Enter Transaction' to see the list of options available. When I go to scroll down the list, using my mouse wheel, instead of the options scrolling up from the bottom one row at a time the options refresh from the top down in a "flip card" manner. In other words if options A through D are shown in the window and I want to see options E and F, when I scroll down with my mouse wheel options B trough E are shown next but the list was refreshed from the top as if a card showing options B through E was slid down from the top. This is not a new occurrence, it has been doing this on my laptop for some time and is quite disorienting and makes it much slower to be able to find and select the option I want. It appears to only happen with the 'Enter Transaction' pull down. All other pull downs act normally. Please help. Thanks.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe you will find this to be a Windows mouse control setting. I just went into Quicken investments and observed what I and you expect to happen when scrolling. You can control the mouse to scroll x number of lines. See if setting higher resolves your issue.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Email Unano
    Email Unano Member ✭✭
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I tried adjusting the mouse wheel scrolling setting from 1 line to 10+ lines at a time and the Enter Transactions pull down continued to behave oddly. If I specifically rolled the wheel one stop at a time it works but if I spin quickly to get to the bottom of the list it continues to refresh from the top as described above. Any other thoughts?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to say this is probably a characteristic of the mouse driver. I cannot reproduce what you describe, for me, it scrolls right to the bottom. I would suggest using the slider to quickly navigate down the list. I use that more that the scroll wheel as it allows more refined motion, at least when scrolling web pages.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • MHSwizzleStick
    MHSwizzleStick Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think you'll see what @Email Unano is describing by clicking in the space below the scroll bar:
    The list, instead of scrolling up, scrolls down. It displays the expected result but is a bit unnerving.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to echo @GeoffG 's comment that this is a mouse driver issue. I am using a Kensington "Expert Mouse" wireless trackball on one machine and the scroll ring and buttons all work exactly as expected. I have a Logitech M505 wireless mouse on my other machine and it also works as expected. I can't reproduce the oddball scrolling behavior, and I have spent some time trying.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Email Unano
    Email Unano Member ✭✭
    Thanks all for commenting but I have tried three mice, a microsoft, and two logitech (both wired and wireless) and the same thing happens. Given that it also happens without using the scrolling wheel, as in the method described by @MHSwizzleStick , and that it only happens in the 'Enter Transaction' pull down and not the other pulldowns then I think the answer to fixing it lies with the Quicken software. Although I am just 'reporting' the issue now I have been using Quicken for years and this also happened on a different laptop with my Quicken 2017 version. A combination of my hope that Quicken would fix it plus my cynicism that anything would come of me saying anything kept me from saying anything all these years.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What I think is being described here is a Windows "quirk", or in other words design differences on how scrolling should work.  And the differences can be shown in the same window.  If you look at the "action" control you will see that it is a combo box.

Which is a built in control where the text box and the pull down button are one control.
    Compare that to the Security name where it is a separate text box and button, where they are actually popping up a window and that window scrolls.

The combo box is "jumps" whereas the window has smooth scrolling.

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • MHSwizzleStick
    MHSwizzleStick Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is what I see when I click in the space below the scroll bar. Note that the list scrolls down, not up. I've written programs with combo boxes and I've never noticed this behavior before.

This discussion has been closed.