Home Before you Buy

Can I install Quicken and save the data file to an external disk - to save disk space

DianaFDianaF Member
edited November 21 in Before you Buy
I am currently using Quicken for Windows on my Mac. The old versions of Parallels and Windows being used are becoming unstable so I would like to convert to the Mac version. The problem is that until I buy a new Mac, I am short on space. Would there be any problems if I installed the application as well as the data to an external disk?

Answers

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may be problems. I have no knowledge of Parallels on Mac, but in Win10 on a PC, Quicken leaves plenty of droppings on C: no matter what you do. You will find droppings in places like
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken
    %APPDATA%\Quicken
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Quicken
    which are all on C: no matter where you put the program and data.
    The data file can go anywhere, but it will be slow to access and may incur corruption if not on C:. The application expects to be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken and may be confused if it's located elsewhere. It's a very old program with not a lot of flexibility.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe this question is really can the Quicken Mac data file be stored on an external disk, not if Quicken Windows can do it.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    DianaF said:
    I am currently using Quicken for Windows on my Mac. The old versions of Parallels and Windows being used are becoming unstable so I would like to convert to the Mac version. The problem is that until I buy a new Mac, I am short on space. Would there be any problems if I installed the application as well as the data to an external disk?
    Hi @DianaF ,

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

You have just posted Quicken for Windows in Parallels but haven't posted any other information, because answers require guesses by posters.

Review this article:  https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-quicken-windows-quicken-mac-2016
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R30.10  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20262.1010
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.630

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• RickORickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @DianaF

Yes, you can store the Mac file and application on an external drive. As mentioned above, it may be slower than on the internal drive. There can be Mac permissions errors that creep in, so best practice is to be sure to never use that external drive with other than the single Mac user account. It might be best if you find some other data that you can move to the external drive instead of Quicken. For example, the Photos and Music libraries can be moved to external (search Google for that).

And always do frequent backups. In addition to backups in QMac, I'd highly recommend you run macOS Time Machine onto a separate external drive.

Also, the Win and Mac versions of Quicken are significantly different and the conversion is not without issues. Since you presumably have the subscription version, you can download the Mac version for free to try it. I would suggest running them in parallel (pun intended) for a while to make sure you are comfortable with the Mac version and that your data is all intact. There is much discussion of converting from Quicken Win to Mac here in the community, so it's a good idea to search for and read up on that.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s