Home Quicken for Windows Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

No visibility to due date/amount when unable to retrieve next bill

Once an online bill is linked to a reminder, the information regarding the bill retrieved via the biller trumps the information configured within the reminder. When a bill is successfully retrieved, this works as expected.

However, when a bill is unable to be retrieved, most notably when there is an issue with the integration with the biller and Quicken cannot retrieve the bill, there is no visibility to the due date nor amount (estimated/fixed) of that bill. This is because the online bill does not have this information so it simply indicates "Awaiting next bill...".

Even in a normal situation when all is working well and Quicken is simply waiting for the next bill to be available, having visibility to the values configured for amount and date from the linked reminder would be extremely useful.

More importantly though, Quicken is known to have many issues with successfully retrieving bill information. This could be because of an issue with the biller itself and/or with Quicken. To make matters worse, often times, even when a problem does occur, Quicken does not display any type of error information to the user indicating that there was a problem.

Given the high frequency of these issues where Quicken fails to retrieve a bill and/or determine that a bill should be updated, it is critical that users have some visibility to their due date and fixed/estimate amount.

By not providing any visibility to this information, users have no choice but to track all of their bills outside of Quicken so that they can ensure that there bills are paid on time which defeats the purpose of using Quicken to reliably manage bills.

Quicken is too unreliable to trust and this unreliability puts users credit scores and financial health at significant risk.

I have previously posted this as an idea (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7881211/display-linked-reminder-date-when-awaiting-next-bill/p1?new=1 - there is also another related suggestion at https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857953/manual-bills-linked-to-online-bills-set-recurring-amount-to-0#latest) but given the increase in issues related to synchronization of online bill information, this should be treated as a defect in the software and prioritized accordingly. Users should not have to manually track their bills outside of Quicken.

Please address this issue by using the configuration values in linked reminders (e.g. amount, date, etc.) when an online bill is not available (for any reason). When the linked reminder information is displayed as opposed to actual online bill information, properly denoting it in the user interface will allow the user to know that the information is from the reminder and not to be considered actual from the bill.

At the very least, resolving this defect and exposing this information will allow users to avoid manually tracking outside of Quicken and provide a good long term solution for even when the reliability issues with bill integration are resolved.
Tagged:

Comments

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well when Online Bills came out in Quicken 2015 basically the above was suggested, but as you can see that never happened.  That was of course before they put Quicken Bill Manager on top, it, but of course that doesn't change how the bill/reminder interact.  The other thing killed in this process is that you use to be able to use the estimate, but once linked to a bill that is gone even if they have no idea what the next bill is going to be.

Hopefully this can be changed into a suggestion that people will vote on and they will fix.  Then again Quicken Bill Manager is such a disaster, I think most people have just given up on the whole idea.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • bazzabazza Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Thanks @Chris_QPW, good to know others feel similarly. As I mentioned in my OP, I originally posted something like this as a suggestion but to me, the increased unreliable nature of Quicken warrants that this should be treated as a bug and prioritized to be addressed ASAP.

Currently, when a bill is unable to be retrieved, users have no visibility to the fact that they have a bill due putting their financial health and credit scores at risk. This is an egregious oversight by the product management team in their design of Bill Manager. To me, this is a clear BUG/DEFECT that needs to be addressed immediately (as opposed to an idea that can be implemented in the future if enough people want to see it implemented).

Here are some examples that demonstrate the issue and why this is required:

1) Chase Bill - I have a bill with Chase and performed a one-step update, no errors displayed but Chase Bill indicating "Awaiting next bill..." However, my bill is due to 5 days and the only way I know this is because I track when the bill is due outside of Quicken which is should not have to do. After working with support, they identified that the last time the Quicken backend synced with Chase was 2020.10.26 (over 25 days ago!!) even though Quicken client said synced and awaiting next bill. The issue with synchronization is a bug in Quicken but the more important issue is that Quicken gives me no visibility to the fact that I have a bill due in 5 days!

2) Citi Bill - There are several known issues with Citi. After performing a one-step update, Quicken actually indicates there is a problem retrieving the bill - that part is good. Similar to Chase, my bill is due in a few days but Quicken gives me no visibility to this and the only way I know its due is because I'm forced to track all of my bills outside of Quicken because of its unrelliability.

Summary - Users utilize Quicken to track their financial lives including bills, due dates, amount. Integration issues are going to occur (that's another story) but when a bill isn't available, Quicken should use the Linked Reminder information so that users at least know they have a bill due and can avoid having to track outside of Quicken just to ensure they do not miss a bill (which could lead to credit score impacts, etc.).
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I agree it is a bug given those situations.

If you have not already done it you should submit it with:
    Help -> Report a problem
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • bazzabazza Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    A perfect example of why displaying linked reminder information when online bill information is not available - https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7883626/11-20-20-citi-biller-experiencing-an-error#latest. This specific issue has no ETA on resolution but this is just one of many examples of issues that Quicken experiences on a very frequent basis when attempting to update bill information.

Customers currently have zero visibility to their Citi bills and are either seeing an error message of some type or awaiting next bill. In this situation, displaying the linked reminder due date and fixed/estimated amount would at least provide them enough visibility to the fact that they have a bill due. The only recourse customers have currently is to manually track all of their bills outside of Quicken so that they don't miss paying a bill.

Quicken - Please address this, you are putting your customers financial health at risk by not providing proper visibility to bill due dates. The information is in the linked reminder so there is no reason for you to require your customers to track bills outside of Quicken and put their credit scores at risk.
This discussion has been closed.