Why do old holdings suddenly reappear after 20 years?

A recent upgrade appears to have a flaw. I have holdings from 2000 and 2002 and 2007 suddenly reappearing in my "Holdings" file as 6 digits after the decimal point e.g. 0.000003
The original holding went through a stock split at one point and the number was not evenly divisible. They were invisible since the original "sell" transaction way back when but now the partial holding reappeared this week.
I spent 3 hours with tech support and came away with no answer. I said it was the upgrade that must have corrupted the file but they don't respond to that.

p.s. Whats a tag? The box below is asking for a tag.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020 Accepted Answer
    Nothing corrupted your data file, and it is a wonder that Quicken support doesn't know what is going on.  In a recent patch they increased the number is digits they round to (a long standing customer request).  In doing so some securities that might have rounded to zero with less digits now don't.  The suggested fix is to just go to the last sell transaction for that security and adjust the number of shares so that it zeros out.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020 Accepted Answer
    Nothing corrupted your data file, and it is a wonder that Quicken support doesn't know what is going on.  In a recent patch they increased the number is digits they round to (a long standing customer request).  In doing so some securities that might have rounded to zero with less digits now don't.  The suggested fix is to just go to the last sell transaction for that security and adjust the number of shares so that it zeros out.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    The R27.20 US release and R28.15 Canadian release included a change increasing the number of decimal places to 6 for fractional share holdings.  You should be able to resolve the fractional shares by editing the final Sold or SoldX transaction and check Sell all shares in this account.

The forum tags are a way narrowing a search for relevant discussions that may span multiple forum categories.