Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Banking Issues

I use a credit union. When I download my checks, the download comes across as from the same back from all the downloads. I have to attempt to manually change to names (the banking info is correct) Very hard to match up my checks.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    "the download comes across as from the same back from all the downloads."
    I have no idea what that means.
    Also,  what  Q  product are you running and what BUILD of that product?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.
    And, what bank/CUs are you discussing?  The full name, as shown in Q on  the TOOLS, Account List dialog.  If it's not there, use the OPTIONS button at the bottom of the dialog to display that column.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For best results record each paper check that you write when you write it, with proper Payee Names, amounts, categories and check number in your checking account register.
    A few days later, when the check clears the bank and downloads a transaction, all you'll ever be able to get from the bank is "Check 1234". But, having a proper register transaction available already, Quicken will be able to match the downloaded information to the existing "Check 1234" transaction in your register and you're all done.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Your bank only knows whats on the MICR line of the check ... and that doesn't include any of the handwritten data.
    If you want that info, you need to record it yourself, probably when you write the check.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Another option to consider is to stop writing out checks (at least as much as is possible) and instead use your CU's billpay service and/or set up payments on your billers' online accounts for direct debits from your checking account.  Then the payees will download into Quicken from your CU.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)