Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Renew through Quicken or purchase from Best Buy

If I renew through Quicken, Deluxe is $51.99 and a downgrade to Basic is $35.99 but I can buy a new Deluxe program from Best Buy, Office Depot or Staples for only $31.99. Is there a reason to spend the extra money? New users get 40% off, but not those of us who have been with Quicken for many years. If there is a downside to buy from Best Buy, let me know.

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    There is no reason to spend the extra money other than the convenience or wanting to provide Quicken Inc with more income.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-manage-my-quicken-subscription

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Thank you. I read that so, if I understand it correctly, if I buy a new copy, I don't have to install the program again, just enter the activation code and I am good for another year. Is that correct?
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Yes but you need to be in the last 6 months before your current subscription expires.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. I read that so, if I understand it correctly, if I buy a new copy, I don't have to install the program again, just enter the activation code and I am good for another year. Is that correct?
    Correct.  Note: There are some timing issues described under Extend.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line is to buy it from the lowest priced legitimate source. 
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Thank you everyone. I ordered it from Staples and saved some money. Thank you for the good information.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    See this page for ongoing access to your data if you do not renew the subscription.  You can still enter new transactions manually, except for the Starter Edition which becomes read only and is limited.  

If you don't renew a subscription about 25% of your screen will be taken up with a reminder to renew.

https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee

See,  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-subscription-membership-faqs  Under...Why am I seeing an expiration banner?

• TomAtoTomAto Member
    Caution! Quicken retail activation codes expire 24 months after they are generated by Quicken in their factory. I just contacted Quicken help to identify when a retail Quicken 2019 package I just purchased from Target expires. I can't use it until April 2021, because Quicken does not permit subscription extensions until 6 months remains on a current subscription. The Quicken agent said there is no way to know when the code was generated unless the package is opened. Unfortunately, once the package is opened it can't be returned. The agent said no one at Quicken had information on when Quicken 2019 activation codes were first produced.
    Assuming Quicken produced Quicken 2019 in late 2018 so it could be on store shelves at the start of 2019, the box I just purchased could already be expired. Beware, even reputable retailers may be selling out of date Quicken products that cannot be activated. Be sure to only purchase Quicken with the current calendar year date on it. I will be returning the Quicken I just purchased to Target.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    TomAto said:
    Caution! Quicken retail activation codes expire 24 months after they are generated by Quicken in their factory. I just contacted Quicken help to identify when a retail Quicken 2019 package I just purchased from Target expires. I can't use it until April 2021, because Quicken does not permit subscription extensions until 6 months remains on a current subscription. The Quicken agent said there is no way to know when the code was generated unless the package is opened. Unfortunately, once the package is opened it can't be returned. The agent said no one at Quicken had information on when Quicken 2019 activation codes were first produced.
    Assuming Quicken produced Quicken 2019 in late 2018 so it could be on store shelves at the start of 2019, the box I just purchased could already be expired. Beware, even reputable retailers may be selling out of date Quicken products that cannot be activated. Be sure to only purchase Quicken with the current calendar year date on it. I will be returning the Quicken I just purchased to Target.
    Expiration dates on Activation Codes started with the 2019 packaging.  2018 does not expire, but I can't imagine many of those are still available at reputable sources.
    I have always assumed (maybe incorrectly since Quicken has never made an official statement) that the codes were generated in the Oct-Nov time frame each year just like they used to do the annual release of the next year's version.  So, there is a REALLY good chance that the 2019 packaging has expired activation codes.  Unless you are a gambler, I'd return it and look for a more recent version.
    I understand why Quicken did this, but they need to put the expiration date on the outside of the box for the buyer to see. 
    The food industry doesn't put the "Sell by" date on the inside the cake mix box, why should Quicken?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• OuidaOuida Member
    My subscription to Quicken 2019 Deluxe has expired. I do not use any of the online services (except for updates, which I am willing to forego); but I wish to continue to use Quicken without paying the subscription fee. I only use it to keep up with my checking account and to record payments on two loans. I keep all my data on my computer--never goes online. Is there any way to eliminate the Membership Renewal banner and reminders?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    "Is there any way to eliminate the Membership Renewal banner and reminders? "
    YES.  By renewing.  That's the ONLY way.  Sorry.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.