Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Category Entries are disappearing!

I've read several other posts about memorized payee split categories disappearing, and some issues with this if you sync with a cloud. I don't sync, except manually moving the data file between systems, and I don't normally use split categories.

My issue is more simple, random, and only has occurred since I've switched from Q 2017 to the new subscription version. I have now had several instances where when I open Quicken to it's home page and it flags that I have an entry with no category. This is a recent entry that I had just made, or was downloaded. I knew I had entered a category, or one appeared from a memorized payee. In fact, Quicken will not let me make an entry without a category per my preferences. But, sure enough, the category is now missing.

I've ignored this for several months thinking it was just a glitch, but now I know it is a reoccurring, new issue. Thought I would post and see if anyone else has experienced this.
- Jim S.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If you answer "no" to both, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.

If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    2. Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    2. Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

• jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply!

No to both questions. No mobile device use, no web use, and sync has been turned off since installation on the two systems I use Quicken on. I manually copy the data file back and forth between the two systems.
    - Jim S.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @jimshu1

Thank you for providing those additional details, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

May I ask, is this happening with the same transactions and/or categories? Or is it a different category that disappears each time?

If you haven't already, I would also recommend running the validate & repair tool on your data file.  This may be done by going to the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair.

In the window that opens, mark the Validate File box and click OK.  When the process completes, a data log will open that details what, if anything, was found - what does this log say?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭
    I did it on one system and the log was extensive... Kind of Scary. I had saved the database before this, so I'll copy the new, validated database to the other system and see if everything looks OK. I'll run validate also on the second system, even though it has a database from the initial validation just to see if the log looks different. I'll try to do a thorough checkout of my accounts before i stick with the new database.

Thanks for the reply!
    - Jim S.
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭
    Ok, ran validate on the same database on two systems. As expected, the second validation of the same database on the second system didn't log much, if anything.

All accounts look correct and I see no issues at this time. Only time will tell if I have the missing category issue again.

Thanks for the instructions on validating a database file. Is this something I should do periodically? On what frequency?

Thanks again!
    - Jim S.
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭
    Ok, this occurred two more times this week. I believe all of them have involved credit card purchases. I am now positive that I had renamed the payees to memorized ones and specified the categories. Neither the renaming nor the categories were there the next day when I opened Quicken. They were two different payees and both were different than what I had reported earlier.

That is about as specific as I can get, however I'm now noting the details on when and where this happens.

I don't expect any reply to be the solution, just posting what is randomly happening.
    - Jim S.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited January 3
    Hello @jimshu1

Thank you for the response and for letting us know where you are at with this issue. It has been some time since this post was started, please provide the version you are now running.

This is located under Help > About Quicken.

May I ask that you also please take a moment to review the steps and information available here and confirm the location of the data file? Is the file stored on the hard drive or the cloud drive?

Storing the file in a cloud drive may cause the issues you have described.

Please let us know!

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭
    Version info. is attached.

I do not use any type of cloud storage. The datafile is stored on my main desktop's hard drive. It is almost always updated there, and then manually copied to my laptop.
    - Jim S.
  • @jimshu1

Thanks for the update. I was taking a look at the thread so far and it looks like we haven't been able to find anything that's consistent yet. Being that the issue you are experiencing can have multiple causes-- It may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish and set up what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • GaKaye
    GaKaye Member
    I am having this same problem. Have you resolved it? Thank you.
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭
    No. Although I haven't had it happen for a few weeks.
    - Jim S.
  • Hello Everyone,

The next patch (30.19) will be to address the mobile sync causing categories disappearing.

• Fixed: Resolved an issue that caused categories to disappear after a One Step Update or Mobile/Web Sync.
    The update should be available in the upcoming days as I believe it is still in the staged release stage. You can try updating it with the mondo patch I'll leave down below.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭
    Thanks! I look forward to the official patch.
    - Jim S.
  • korfoo
    korfoo Member
    I'm also having the same problem, when will this be fixed?
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭
    I haven't had this problem for over a month. Have you updated lately? I think the last patch was suppose to fix it.
    - Jim S.
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭
    Categories are disappearing again... Downloaded credit card transactions where I begin to type the memorized payee's name and the whole transaction is filled out with the correct category, memo, etc. I accept it and then the next day not only is the category gone, but so is the memorized payee's name, replaced with the original downloaded payee name and no category.

It's random and does not occur all of the time. The only way I know it is happening is that my Quicken Home page shows "x Uncategorized Ttransactions".

Not wanting to get into all of the troubleshooting again, just saying it's happening, as I detailed out above.
    - Jim S.