Issue Printing Register Report for Today's date - Deposits only

H&B with Rentals.     Trying to customize a report where I only want to print the deposits only for today for a particular register.  My deposits are marked in the num column as DEP.  

Anyways I have another transaction - a check where I have a split transaction with some plus and minis in the column but they are not deposits -   It's grouping this transaction within my customized transaction register report where I have choose 

Is there a work around?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Hi @BRETTB,

I did a little test replicating what you are seeing.  Apparently the register report will pickup any credit entry (i.e. negative number) entered in the register.  So even though you selected "Deposits" as the transaction type, it disregards the "DEP" and will pickup any credit in the date range of the register whether it has a DEP or not.  And, as you noted, if you have a net expense transaction - where there is a negative number in a split - it will include that amount in the report.

I was unable to find a way to have it not include that non-deposit credit entry without changing the underlying data (i.e. such as by temporarily deleting the credit amount to run the report and then replacing it afterwards).  But maybe someone else will have an idea.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • BRETTB
    BRETTB Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for Trying - Think quicken needs to add a quick way to print/export selected entries with a total and register balance if one wants that.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    If you're only doing a day's worth of deposits, and you're not dealing with hundreds of checks, it seems like you could isolate only the checks in a couple of different ways that wouldn't involve too much work. 
    One way could be to always enter the checks with some word in the memo field, "e.g., "Tenant" or "Unit" or something, and then filter the report so that only memo fields containing that word are selected for the report.  Another way might be to isolate on the "Clr" column, say by denoting the checks with a "c", (even if they aren't), using only that selection criterion under the Status box, and then changing that "c" back to a blank after running the report. 
    The most obvious way of grabbing only the deposited checks, I'd think, (and I'm assuming we are talking about rental income checks), would be to only select the deposit that use the Rental Income Category.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Hi again @BRETTB

I think there may be a way for you to accomplish what you want to do. 

If you were to create a new Tag (e.g. a "Deposit" tag) and mark each deposit transaction with that tag (as you enter transactions, or after the fact).  Then - when you run the register report - you should open the "Customize Register Report" screen (that you show above) and click on the "Tags" tab.  Then, if you only select the "Deposit" tag, the report will not pickup the "splits with negative numbers".

Obviously, this is not the ideal answer but it will give you the report you want.

Take care.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • BRETTB
    BRETTB Member ✭✭✭

These are all good workaround ideas but think it should be a feature added to Quicken to make easier and simple.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    which account are you looking at when looking at these deposit transactions?
    Your checking account or an intermediate "Checks to Deposit" account?
    Is the bottom line of this exercise a way to figure out how much to deposit into your checking account? Creating sort of a deposit slip?
    IMHO, if all of today's rent deposits were sent to the intermediate account, then a CTRL-P register report of the intermediate account, date range of today, should give you what you're looking for, including a running balance.