Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

how do I download more information about payee when updating bank register from banking institution?

I have many payees listed as "Recurring Payment Transaction" only, when the actual transaction is "Recurring Payment Transaction CHEGG ORDER - CHEGG ORDER 844-224-5952 CA". I want to rename the transaction to "Chegg", but that information isn't downloaded apparently, so I cannot create a renaming rule.

Answers

• rgordonrgordon Member
    Thanks for the help!
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    First off, in the pertinent account, click the GEAR icon to the far right of the account name, select "Register columns" and check "Downloaded Payee".  This will  show you the full name as downloaded (only a portion displays in the Payee field).
    Does CHEGG, or a reasonable portion of it appear there.
    Get back to us, and we can provide the next steps
    Also, what type of account is this happening in,  and  what Q product (and BUILD of that product) are you running.  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    Looking at this a bit further, the basic issue is that the Payee field can hold 32 characters ... and  "Recurring Payment Transaction " (note the space at the end) is exactly 32 characters.
    The DOWNLOADED Payee, however, can hold more.  So, that still the route to pursue initially.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    The renaming rules use the combined payee and memo fields in the comparison test, so you can see if "Chegg" is in that combination and rename the payee to "Chegg".
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• rgordonrgordon Member
    In downloaded Payee I get the same "Recurring Payment Transaction" unfortunately, and the downloaded memo and reference fields are empty. I am using Quicken Premier, Year 2020, Ver R30:10, Build 27.1.30.10, on Windows.

Thanks again!
    edited November 2020
    What download method are you using for this account?  Do TOOLS, Account List and look in the "Transaction Download" column adjacent to the account name.
    Also, click HELP,  Log Files, OFX Log.and do a SAVE AS  to your desktop.
    Open the file with NotePad or WordPad (NOT MS Word) and search for something distinctive about the transaction (perhaps the dollar amount, but don't use a comma in your search ...just digits and the decimal point)
    When you find the transaction, look down a line or 2 to see what is being sent by the Financial Institution.