Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Several credit card accounts deleted during one-step update

I recently noticed that three of my credit card accounts were missing. A Discover Card dating back to 2012, and two more recent Apple Card accounts. The bank account I used for payments still had the payment transactions for the deleted accounts, but the transfer to category was blank. So, the accounts were really gone, along with all internal references.

I had to restore back seven days to recover the missing accounts. I then did a one-step update for all accounts, and the same three accounts disappeared again.

I restored again, then did one-step updates one account at a time. That worked fine, and I am back in business.

No idea what happened, but I plan on staying away from the one-step update for all accounts. Has anybody else seen this problem?

Answers

• BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Which revision of Quicken are you running? 
    Did this happen after updating the revision of Quicken?
    How did you determine that the credit card accounts were missing?  You mentioned that the bank account payment transactions were blank but were the accounts no longer showing up on the right hand side of the screen?  Were the accounts no longer showing up in Account List?
    Are you using the Mobile and/or Web features?  Even if you are not using them, is the Mobile and Web Sync functionality turned on?
    (QW Premier Subscription: R30.21 on Windows 10)
  • QJohnAQJohnA Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Yes. I posted about this earlier. 
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7883905/setting-up-direct-connect-results-in-deleting-accounts-onedrive 
    I eventually wound up restoring from backup and disabled sync for all my credit card accounts.
    There is some problem with their 'improved cloud service' which causes deletion of credit card accounts. It seems to manifest itself when using Express Web Connect.
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    QJohnA said:
    Yes. I posted about this earlier. 
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7883905/setting-up-direct-connect-results-in-deleting-accounts-onedrive 
    I eventually wound up restoring from backup and disabled sync for all my credit card accounts.
    There is some problem with their 'improved cloud service' which causes deletion of credit card accounts. It seems to manifest itself when using Express Web Connect.
    FYI: I edited your post only to get the link to work properly.
    Thanks for posting here and providing the reference back to this other thread.  Let's see what Thomas Blair's response is to see if it might be similar or if it might be something different.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R30.21 on Windows 10)
  • Thomas BlairThomas Blair Member ✭✭
    Running macOS Big Sur 11.0.1
    Parallels Desktop for Mac Version 16.1.1 (49141)
    Windows 10 Version 2004, installed 11/28/2020 19041.630
    Quicken 2020 R30.10 Build 27.1.30.10

Was doing one-step all accounts update, not a quicken update.

Accounts disappeared from left hand account panel. Nowhere to be found in Account List. For example, Discover Card account and all transactions missing dating back to 2012. All payments made to Discover Card account are still listed in the bank account transactions, however the transfer category is now blank for those transactions.

All missing accounts were synced to mobil web. However, I have not used the mobil web app for some time.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @Thomas Blair

Thank you for the response and the additional details, although I apologize for the frustration that this issue has caused.

If you haven't done so already I would start by resetting the cloud.

RESET THE CLOUD DATA THROUGH THE DESKTOP PROGRAM

1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID, Mobile & Alerts.
    2. Click Reset your cloud data.
    Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • sevans1979sevans1979 Member ✭✭
    I had the same/similar issue and was able to replicate it myself.

As soon as I downloaded the transactions for a specific credit card account, several accounts would go missing from my account. The accounts included both hidden and un-hidden accounts. I could actually watch the accounts disappear during the update process. (They would be in the list by name, then during they synch process names disappeared, but values remained. Then after synch was complete the accounts dis-appeared) I'm lucky I'm a bit rabid about back ups.

Cloud data was reset when I restored the back up file. If I tried the to download the transactions, again, the same thing happens. (Again, it was easy to replicate when the problem was happening.)

I do use the mobile app, but not the web version of Quicken.

Quicken Version R30.10
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit - OS Build 19041.630

The problem card was using the express web connect. I followed these steps to change to direct connect:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-change-bank-connection-method

We'll see if that works.
  • Thomas BlairThomas Blair Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. For now I've turned off the cloud sync since I don't use it. Maybe in the future.
  • pwwojcikpwwojcik Member
    This is really terrible. I have had my Apple Card account disappear in Quicken twice now. I am not aware of anything else disappearing.

Does anyone have advice to prevent my accounts from randomly disappearing?

I do not quite follow the need to change update method. The Apple Card account was not configured to download transactions.

I have turned off cloudsync in case that is related somehow.

Thanks
  • sevans1979sevans1979 Member ✭✭
    > @sevans1979 said:
    > I had the same/similar issue and was able to replicate it myself.
    >
    > As soon as I downloaded the transactions for a specific credit card account, several accounts would go missing from my account. The accounts included both hidden and un-hidden accounts. I could actually watch the accounts disappear during the update process. (They would be in the list by name, then during they synch process names disappeared, but values remained. Then after synch was complete the accounts dis-appeared) I'm lucky I'm a bit rabid about back ups.
    >
    > Cloud data was reset when I restored the back up file. If I tried the to download the transactions, again, the same thing happens. (Again, it was easy to replicate when the problem was happening.)
    >
    > I do use the mobile app, but not the web version of Quicken.
    >
    > Quicken Version R30.10
    > Windows 10 Home 64 bit - OS Build 19041.630
    >
    > The problem card was using the express web connect. I followed these steps to change to direct connect:
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-change-bank-connection-method
    >
    > We'll see if that works.

UPDATE --- I've synched the "problem card" several times using direct connect and my accounts are no longer disappearing. The accounts are still selected to be included in the cloud synch, so this looks like for me the issue was with the express web connect vs the direct connect, and had nothing to do with the cloud.

If you go to Tools -> Account List that's where you can see what transaction download method your different accounts are using during the sync process.

Look to see what is showing for your accounts under "Transaction Download. I would suggest to make sure that "Direct Connect" option is used.