Can search be made faster and/or more responsive?

davidpmax
davidpmax Member ✭✭
edited November 2020 in Product Enhancements (Mac)
One of the most frequent things I do with Quicken is look up a payment amount that is in my checking account, and I don't know which credit card it went to because the checking account description has something ambiguous like "Card Services". I do this by showing all transactions and typing an amount into the search field.

Because there is an incremental search, when I type, say, "50", it thinks for 4 seconds and shows me all charges for $50.00, $150.43, $12.50, etc. Then I type ".", and it thinks for 4 seconds and gives me a refined set of results. Then I finish typing the cents, and it thinks for 4 seconds, and finally shows me what I was looking for.

I'm finding that I'm taking pains to type my complete search amount without pausing because there is no way to interrupt the 4 seconds of searching once it's kicked off.

Can you make it instead (in decreasing order of desirability):
- Interrupt the search in progress if I type more?
- Allow incremental search to be turned off so that I can just hit return when I'm done?
- Allow me to keep typing (and show me what I'm typing) while the search is in progress so that when the search finishes and runs again, I'm all set?

It appears that the 3rd option is what happens now, except you can't see what you're typing, so you're typing blind, and there's no visual feedback.
3 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know Mac but couldn't you just sort on the payment amount column?  Then scroll through it?  Why don't the payments have better descriptions or payees?  Like Wells Fargo Visa payment.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @volvogirl It's not just searching for a dollar amount -- it's all searches. And sorting an All Transactions register and scrolling to find a dollar amount is a sledgehammer approach to bypassing a Search tool designed to do this surgically. (I have about 64,000 transactions, so zeroing in on a specific transaction by scrolling isn't a speedy solution.)

And yes, @davidpmax it would be great if this could be fixed; I've been meaning to post about this for some time. (In fact, my recollection is they did something to improve the search speed a few years ago, and I wonder whether the code change regressed in some subsequent update.)

I too do a lot of searches in Quicken. In my case, it's typically searching for the history of a Payee, and most often, for something in my Memo/Notes fields. In my data file, which spans more than two decades, the first search after launching Quicken takes about 10 seconds, then subsequent searches take 2-3 seconds.

My question/suggestion: whatever Quicken does during the first search to build indexes to improve subsequent searches be done in the background shortly after launch, to eliminate that long wait on the first search?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited November 2020
    Hello @davidpmax,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea thread.

Ideas are reviewed by our development team to see what features people would like to have available in the future. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up-arrow (see below).

Be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Anja
  • davidpmax
    davidpmax Member ✭✭
    A lot of programs do things slower the first time, and you'd have to know more about the implementation to know for sure what's being built or cached that speeds it up.

I went so far as to export all the transactions to a CSV file, massaged it a bit in Excel, and then imported them into a SQLite database just for quick searching. I have one query that I just edit the amount field each time, and each search is done in the blink of an eye (I'm using SQLiteStudio, and it tells me that the query finished in 0.003 seconds).

I assume that the biggest difference is that I'm treating the amount as a value, whereas Quicken sounds like it's treating it as a string in the way I can match my search for "10" to every amount that has a "10" somewhere in it.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    As you say, there's no way to know how the data is stored and the queries are built in Quicken. Search can be set to search one field or all fields, Search can be on one account or multiple accounts, multiple accounts may or may not include hidden accounts, banking accounts are defined differently than investment accounts, etc. A straight search on a single field in the database should be blindingly fast, but dealing with all the tables, complex joins, cursors, and complex queries has lots of areas where performance may be optimized for some things over others -- and it's not worth guessing at how it's built. We just need the developers to be aware of the problem and agree to tackle it. ;) My guess is they mostly work with pretty small test databases, so they're not always seeing problems like these that real-world users encounter.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • davidpmax
    davidpmax Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > We just need the developers to be aware of the problem and agree to tackle it. ;)

Yes, thanks for putting it perfectly.