Add Collapse All/Expand All categories in budgets, and save state of which categories are collapsed

IAHawk
IAHawk Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Budget and Planning Tools

I am using Version 5.18.2 (Build 518.35919.100) on OSX El Capitan.

The budget display opens with all the income and expense categories expanded, i.e the subcategories are shown. The resulting display is too large and complex for me to comprehend so I normally go through and close them. This allows me to proceed from the simple to the comprehensive when I see a need to do so, i.e. if a category is "out of whack" I expand that category to find out why and I close it once I've resolved the issue.

And of course if you leave the budget to work on an account register when you return to budgeting again there expanded once more

I don't believe there is a setting which allows this. If there is please point me to it.

I understand that others may have a different opinion, but the option do either in a future release would be a good solution.

[Edited title for clarity and discoverability - @jacobs 7/12/21]

36 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review on 10/21/23 - CBT-195

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @IAHawk You're not missing anything (unfortunately). It would be good if they added the same controls they've added for reports: an expand all/collapse all button, and that the expand/collapse settings persist when you return to your budget. Unfortunately, the budget is coded very differently than reports, so they'd need to re-invent all of that for budgets. But I agree that it would be helpful to have more control over budgets, which definitely can be a bit overwhelming.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • IAHawk
    IAHawk Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your comments. Is there a mechanism for inputting suggestions to the Quicken developers or whoever makes those decisions?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @IAHawk

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I have changed your post to an idea so that others may vote on this feature. Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

When Ideas have gained enough traction, they are reviewed by our development team for future consideration.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Papasoz
    Papasoz Member ✭✭
    Further clarification. Be able to expand and collapse budget categories, same as reports, where categories remain collapsed or expanded.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2021
    @Papasoz Yes, there actually is an existing Edit post for this excellent enhancement suggestion. The title of that post was not very clear, which is likely why you didn't see it -- and why it hasn't yet attracted many votes; the title of that post has now been edited for clarity and discoverability. 

[Edit: Posts have been merged together - QS]

Please take a minute to visit the Idea post and to add your vote. Scroll to the top of the page and in the yellow box under the first post, click the arrow under the vote counter. 

• Papasoz
    Papasoz Member ✭✭
    @jacobs , thanks. Been a quicken user since 2004, first PC , now Mac. Does that job well and have appreciated the upgrades over the years.
  • Robman
    Robman Member ✭✭
    A few releases back, the budget screen would save the last view of collapsed or uncollapsed categories, it would be great to get the feature back or allow the ability to collapse or uncollapse all categories like reports provide.
  • Definitely need the capability to always open the budget with collapsed categories. When you have a fairly detailed budged that includes both home and business you want to quickly eyeball the categories and then uncollapse a category if it is an area of concern. Should not have to go through and collapse the categories everytime to get a summary overview. Thanks you for moving this to a priority
  • kelmackay
    kelmackay Member ✭✭
    agree need collapse function and also an easier way to zero out budget columns om dub categories
  • LRL
    LRL Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    By default, opening a budget in normal or edit mode expands all category headers revealing subcategories even after I manually clicked EVERY SINGLE HEADER to collapse them the last time I opened my budget.

There doesn't seem to be a way to set the category headers to "collapsed" mode by default. I called CS, who confirmed there was no option. Were they wrong? If so, tell me how to do this.

I repeat this process EVERY TIME I open my budget. Click, click, click, and so on 15+ times. Then repeat the process when I open my budget again.

Expanded category headers are an enormous waste of screen space and unnecessary scrolling, especially for users with small device screens. Manually collapsing them is a waste of time.

I can't believe I am the only user this bothers.

Can this be fixed?

Please create an option to choose either the "expand" or "collapse" mode.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Idea post is currently categorized to a Community Improvement category.
    Which flavor of Quicken should this really be assigned to: Quicken for Windows, Quicken for Mac? Other?
    (I'll ask a moderator to recategorize based on your response)
    It would also be helpful if you could show us an image snapshot of what you currently see and what you would like to see in the future.

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• LRL
    LRL Member ✭✭
    Hi, I think you are telling me I posted to the wrong place and that you will recategorize it. Thank you. I am using a Mac laptop. What else do you need to know?

BTW, where should it have been posted, so I know the next time?

I have attached four images. Some capture my entire budget (collapsed headers), and some part (expanded headers). I realize they are not all the same sizes, but I hope they get the idea across. If not, let me know what you need, and I'll try again.

IMAGES
    - budget upon opening with category headers in default expanded mode
    - budget I manually collapsed the headers
    - budget in edit view with category headers in default expanded mode
    - budget in edit view, I manually collapsed headers

Please let me know if you need clarity or more info.

I appreciate your help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    a community moderator moved this Idea to a proper category for Q Mac and Budgets. Please scroll to the very top of this webpage to see the category tree as clickable text.
    BTW, thanks for the images.
    Now we wait for other Q Mac users to chime in and add their comments and votes.
    Being a Quicken for Windows user myself, I'll just fade away into the background ...
  • LRL
    LRL Member ✭✭
    I appreciate your help getting this posted. :-)
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @LRL,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• kelmackay
    kelmackay Member ✭✭
    how do i find tgread?
  • kelmackay
    kelmackay Member ✭✭
    def want to see this feature for Mac users
  • jacobs
    @kelmackay Your post was merged by the moderator into this existing thread requesting the same functionality. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884164/add-collapse-all-expand-all-categories-in-budgets-and-save-state-of-which-categories-are-collapsed

You should scroll to the top of the page and add your vote: in the yellow box under the first post, click the little dark gray arrow under the vote counter to see the count increment by one. 
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• kelmackay
    kelmackay Member ✭✭

so glad this is hopefully going to happen!

• jacobs
    edited October 2023

@kelmackay The status is now "Under Consideration". That does not mean it's definitely going to get done, but I agree it's a helpful step forward. This status means this Idea thread achieved enough votes to be sent forward to the development team. They then assess the desirability of the feature, the complexity involved in implementing it, and and how it fits in with the other priorities they have planned or under consideration — and then decide whether and when to schedule developer time to implement the change. If/when they put it on their schedule, the status here will change to "Planned". At that point, it can be a few months…or a few years… until a feature is implemented. Things are definitely continuing to moving forward on Quicken Mac, but the movement is slow!

• Ron
    Ron Member ✭✭

Agreed, and can't believe we haven't see this already! Seems like low hanging fruit.