Quicken Subscription Expiration Fallout!

Two years ago the version of Quicken I had (I don't recall which) I'll say expired since online updating stopped working forcing me to buy the new version which was now under the new yearly subscription model. At that time I was offered a 2-year update for $59. 11/30/2020 was the two year drop dead date and I started receiving expiration reminders for a few weeks prior to that date. [Removed-Disruptive] While annoying to have to check a couple of account balances online instead of through my Quicken I was ok with that and accepted the consequences.

Now comes my rant!

As I said, I accepted the fact that I would no longer have online updating capabilities. However, with the expiration I am now bombarded with not only a large permanent "your softwares expired banner w/Renew button" under the tool bar but now the last couple of uses I've received multiple nagging pop-ups alerting me to the same fact which I'm already perfectly aware of, I get it, the software is expired!! During my most recent usage today I was prompted with a Quicken Login dialog??? I have no idea why and ignored it. Is this how its supposed to be??? [Removed Inaccurate/Disrtupive]

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Yep, that's what now happens (in products ABOVE the "Starter" level) when your subscription expires.
    If you've got Starter, the product becomes READ/ONLY.
    BUT, if you search around (eBay, WalMart, Amazon, Best Buy, etc) you can usually find Q products at a better price than that offered by Q itself.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case you are not aware, you may purchase a Quicken Deluxe activation code from a discount retailer.  The prices vary but I've recently seen one year for about $31.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    MarkinGA said:
    This needs to be changed in the software immediately.
    I wouldn't hold your breath on it.  This was put in place shortly after they went to a subscription, in other words in 2018, and you are certainly not the first to complain about it.

MarkinGA said:
    We're adults, we know whether something is working or not and don't need constant marketing nagging, do something Quicken!!! Oh and by the way, $59 a year ain't happening.
    Sort of reminds me of women complaining that advertisers use pretty women to sell their goods.  No matter how much people scream about such things, the proof is that it works.  It works, this has nothing to do with informing you that a feature of Quicken isn't going to work, and everything to do with trying to get as many people as possible to renew their subscription.  Carrots and sticks do work.  And they probably figure what do they have to lose.

I have seem people post things like "I'm using Quicken 2000, and have been a loyal customer, and you should do XXX for me."  Well to a business anyone that isn't adding to their revenue isn't really a customer are they?
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MarkinGA I agree with your assessment. Quicken’s ham handed approach to try to coerce users into renewing was the final straw for me. I’ve stayed with Q2017 and have no intentions to switch to the subscription version. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Here's some links.  If you don't renew a subscription about 25% of your screen will be taken up with a reminder to renew.

https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee

See,  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-subscription-membership-faqs  Under...Why am I seeing an expiration banner?

There was this thread, Expiration-Vote, but it has been closed

If you can find a copy of Quicken 2017, I think you can go back to the previous version with no nag screens.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Either Quicken 2017 or volvogirl said:

If you can find a copy of Quicken 2017, I think you can go back to the previous version with no nag screens.

Either Quicken 2017 or Quicken 2016 can read a data file written by Quicken Subscription.

And for what it is worth, I think Quicken Inc is making a mistake doing this (the ads), but trying to convince them otherwise just falls on death ears.  In face when that thread was active it got to the point that even referring people to it to vote on it got one a message from the moderators to stop or be kicked off of the forum.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • MarkinGA
    MarkinGA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Today's startup for a few checking account transactions. Once I clicked the X to close the foreground login dialog the background cleared, my accounts display came up and then the login dialog popped up AGAIN over top of my data which I in turn had to click to clear AGAIN to begin use of my software that I paid for!

Anyone else besides me think this is wrong?!?!?!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    MarkinGA said:
    Today's startup for a few checking account transactions. Once I clicked the X to close the foreground login dialog the background cleared, my accounts display came up and then the login dialog popped up AGAIN over top of my data which I in turn had to click to clear AGAIN to begin use of my software that I paid for!

Anyone else besides me think this is wrong?!?!?!
    Quicken requires we authenticate to determine if we have an active subscription.

Note: We don't buy the software.  We purchase a license to use the software.  Anyone may download and install the software.
  • dwdiehl
    dwdiehl Member
    I have faced the same problem with the annoying banners nagging me to renew my subscription. I didn't renew because I have never found the online features to be that useful. From what I read here, Quicken's response is, "Too bad. Deal with it or renew." Sorry, Quicken, but you've seen the last of my money. I will revert to an earlier version.
This discussion has been closed.