Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Citi Bank Credit Card Accounts Won't Auto Reconcile

I have developed a recent issue where my Citi Bank Credit Card accounts won't auto reconcile. When I update the transactions from Citi Bank i get what is displayed in the attached image.
I have followed the instructions on how to set up auto reconcile but I can't get the dialogue box as shown in the instructions to appear.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @rwmol .  This happens when a transaction has posted at the FI and gets downloaded into Quicken but the account online balance has not yet been updated at the FI and downloaded into Quicken.  It does not mean something is broken, it's just a timing issue.
    The only "fix" for this is to cancel the reconciliation process and run OSU again later in the day or the next morning when the FI will download the updated online account balance.
    I understand the frustration/concern caused by this because it sometimes happens with my credit card and bank accounts.  It mostly occurrs with accounts set up for EWC downloads. It does not happen as much with accounts set up for DC downloads. 
    Is your Costco card set up for download via the Citi Bank or Citi Cards link?  The Citi Bank link is EWC only (unless you pay Citi Bank for DC).  But the Citi Cards link default is for DC (for free) which is more reliable, faster and tends to have fewer timing issues like this.  If your Costco card is currently linked via Citi Bank you might want to try deactivating that link and try setting up your account in Quicken with the Citi Cards link.  This might require you to set up a new online account at Citi.com (not Citibank.com) and set up authorization for Quicken in it before you can link to Quicken.
    If your Costco card is already set up for download with the Citi Cards link you might want to confirm which connection method it is set up for...DC or EWC?  If it is EWC, there should be a blue font link on the Online Services tab of Account Details saying that an improved connection method is available.  Click on that link to be taken through the connection upgrade process.
    Note:  If you change from Citi Bank to Citi Cards or if you upgrade from EWC to DC on Citi Cards there might be transactions downloaded and entered into the Costco card register that are duplicates of what is already entered there.  This should be just a one time occurrence.  These duplicates will need to be manually deleted.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭
    Boatnmaniac, This upload comes from Citi Cards and is DC. When this happens I have checked the balances and they are the same as in my register, This all seemed to start when I was getting a connectivity issue with these two accounts in the mobile app. The fix was to log into a link that was provided to authorize the connection. When I logged into the link there was no need to supply information. Afterward when I checked the mobile app the error message was gone. I might mention that even-though I was getting the connectivity error on the mobile app all the balances were correct. Perhaps I should deactivate the accounts and try again. What do you think?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @rwmol

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you're experiencing this trouble.

The steps for online banking issues involving the mobile application, outlined here, recommend deactivating and reactivating the accounts. 

I would recommend moving forward with these steps. Please let us know the result!

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Boatnmaniac
    Did you try OSU or Update Now since your original post?  Did the Auto Reconcile issue for that transaction go away, then?
    If so, then it tends to confirm that this is the timing issue I'd mentioned earlier. 
    If it is a timing issue, then deactivating/reactivating might provide a 1X fix for it (or it might not) but it will not prevent it from happening, again, in the future since there is nothing Quicken can do to fix an issue within Citi's system.
  • rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭
    Yes. I did as you suggested and was able to get the auto reconcile dialog box to appear. I enabled both options for auto reconcile and did an OSU. Being I had the transactions checked as reconciled, the OSU completed with no issues. I checked the online balances and transactions and there are two that are ready for download Tuesday and I will know if all is well then. I might mention after enabling the auto reconcile options the errors appear again in the Quicken app.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @rwmol - That connectivity issue in your mobile app might have caused a sync issue with the computer program.  You could go to Edit > Preferences and try Resetting your Cloud Account and see if that resolves the issue with the mobile app.

• rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭
    I think I've done that already but I will try it again.
  • rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭
    That didn't fix the connectivity issue but I was able to get it fixed by entering the the required link as suggested by the "Fix". I logged back into the Citi Cards in the mobile app and the errors are gone. Now to see what happens with the downloads tomorrow.
  • rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭
    I ran OSU this morning and everything is working properly except for one issue that I'm sure is my fault. First the initial issue of my two credit cards not auto reconciling was probably caused from a wrong setting in Online Services. In order for auto reconciling to work properly "No" must be selected under Automatic entry Is:. I believe this was the main problem.

During this whole process of getting the Auto Reconcile to work I must have done something where both credit cards now have the same card number so the Statement Balance is wrong for one of the cards. What should I do to correct the card number? I believe Deactivating is the answer but I'm not sure. What do you think?
  • rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭
    I deactivated and activated both of my Citi cards and made sure that the correct card numbers were selected. I have a Citi Double Cash Card and a Citi Costco Card. For some strange reason when I reconcile the Citi Double Cash card it is showing the statement balance of the Citi Costco Card. I double checked the card numbers and they are correct. I did another deactivate on both cards to make sure the accounts were correct and made sure both cards weren't select on each account. I called Citi Bank and they said its an issue with Quicken. I really don't know what to do to correct this issue.
  • rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭
    I reset my cloud date and the balances are now correct. We will see if all is fixed on the next transaction download.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @rwmol - Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.  I've been tied up in a personal matter all day.  But it sounds like you've become quite the accomplished troubleshooter!  :smiley:  The steps you have take are exactly what I would have suggested.  I'm glad to hear that it appears your issue might now be resolved.  I look forward to hearing about what happens with your next transaction download.
  • rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭
    I'm pleased to announce that the OSU I did this morning went flawlessly and the uploaded transaction auto reconciled. The only issue still remaining is the errors in the mobile app. The Citi Bank link that's suppose to correct this issue is now broken. I'll be contacting Citi Bank technical support.