Strange graphics while using a monitor with high resolution

scott.kramer
scott.kramer Member ✭✭
Hello,
I'm using a Dell Gaming Monitor which is @ 32" (S320DQF) and I receive these extremely large graphics while adding bills, income etc.. attached is an example. I also get graphics like a large "+" and sometimes the icons dissapear completely.

I have to exit the program, and go back in but after I add or modify a bill/income it happens again.

For the record, using R30.14

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might look into the graphics driver version. I too have a Dell 32" (not gaming) monitor and have not experienced these issues. Quicken has some terrible screen paint issues, but they do load correctly.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, I am running the latest GeForce drivers and Intel Drivers, I've also confirmed this happens on two different devices (Alienware m15 R3 and Asus ROG Desktop with a 2080 Super)
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is you resolution? 1920 x 1080 is the recommended with fonts @100%
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    2560x1440 with G-Sync enabled on the monitor. That resolution looks like garbage (1920x1080) on this monitor.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall seeing high res monitor issues posted, but haven't followed (don't have high res). You might try a search here to see if you can find a solution until someone else chimes in.
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    I appreciate your help! Thanks!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It certainly isn't the size of your monitor that counts. What matters is what resolution, Windows scaling, and if you use "Large Fonts (which is another windows scaling), and of course the video drivers/card.

With that said I have never seen this before were your menu bar is perfectly fine, but the content of the bills tab is EXTEREMLY large.

You might right click on the Quicken Desktop icon and select Properties -> Compatibility -> Change high DPI settings and see if the "Override high DPI scaling ..." does anything.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    I’ll have to check these settings tomorrow, but there are multiple graphics that are extremely large, it could be “All Bills”, a giant “+” sign or just a gray box, it’s very unusual.
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > It certainly isn't the size of your monitor that counts. What matters is what resolution, Windows scaling, and if you use "Large Fonts (which is another windows scaling), and of course the video drivers/card.
    >
    > With that said I have never seen this before were your menu bar is perfectly fine, but the content of the bills tab is EXTEREMLY large.
    >
    > You might right click on the Quicken Desktop icon and select Properties -> Compatibility -> Change high DPI settings and see if the "Override high DPI scaling ..." does anything.

Thanks for your help, but that does nothing as well. It just seems there's an issue within the programming that Quicken does not like high(er) resolution's.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @scott.kramer

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue.

If you have not already, I would take a moment to add your vote to the idea at the link below.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7865154/support-hi-res-monitors#latest

Thank you!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes Quicken has never played very well with higher resolution screens as the idea that @Quicken_Tyka has pointed you to suggests, but yours is "extreme" I never seen anyone post a screenshot where the text is so large.

Look at their comments (from the link and "sub links" she posted):
    " I constantly have to resize windows and columns as i deal with each account. Got to believe that this a common frustration with many users with Hi Res Monitors."

Others about fuzzy text/images.

Looking at your screenshot there isn't any way one would be able resize windows and columns and make it usable.
    Signature:
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    I’ve even tried that, resizing the window and seeing if that would help but it’s the same issue, resizing doesn’t help either.

It’s just old code that needs to be revised, I don’t want to use the Mac version since that is inferior to the Windows version but it’s just a pain in the butt @Quicken_Tyka that I need to play roulette and see if I can have a proper Bills/Income screen where I can actually work.

Thanks for the help everyone, it is most appreciated
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you running Windows in Parallels or some other VM?

Because that certainly can be why this is "different".  I remember there were was a setting that had to be set in those cases.  Something about not allowing the Mac to do some scaling or such.
    Signature:
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    No, running on 20H1 of Windows 10 not virtualized , I do have a Mac Mini that I use for coding but as I said the Mac version is inferior to the Windows version.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you run a dual monitor setup? By chance do you have a HD monitor you could rotate in to see if the display is "normal" on regular HD. Just a test, not a solution.
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    I have the LCD on the laptop turned off with the 32” as the main. It is connected via DisplayPort. I do have a 1080p monitor that I’ll test and see what the results are. Good idea!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thing we have definitely seen in the past is that Quicken is looking at the main display for sizing information even though Quicken is on a secondary display (using old functions that were created before multiple displays were common).

Try changing the main display to the display that has Quicken on it if it isn't already set that way (which usually the case for laptop users).
    Signature:
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    That was my thought as well but it happens on the laptop display even without the external connected.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wow.  That really sounds like there is something in the display driver that is throwing things off.  Maybe it has its own "scaling"?
    Signature:
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    Only happens with Quicken if I were getting other artifacts in other programs I’d say it’s something with the drivers, and it happens on two different systems running intel and Nvidia drivers.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken brings out the worse graphic systems.   :/

In fact people come on here and talk about their performance and graphics problems and state because they have the "latest and greatest machine/graphics" that should mean that they have less such problems.  It has been my observation that it is just the opposite.  Quicken does better on systems that don't have high powered graphic systems.

I don't know what it is about the combination the APIs and such used, but this has always been true.
    Signature:
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    Agreed. I have a very high end system but I know the program that I’m running is using Archaic code that should have been modernized.. I’ve been disappointed with how quicken is keeping up updates as far as code performance is concerned, if it wasn’t for the ease of use and what it does I’d switch to another solution besides quicken.. but it is what it is.