One Step Update wiped out all of my categories

I spent hours assigning categories to 3 years of transactions for 3 accounts and One Step Update wiped out all of my work with one click!

Best Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @FreeCel

Thank you for the response and the additional details, although I apologize that you're experiencing this trouble.

If you have not done so already, please take a moment to review the steps and information available in this support article

If you still experience crashing after restoring a backup, I would next recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the Quicken application.

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer

Hello @hamlord

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. By chance do you use the mobile and web sync? If you are let's try something here. First we'll want to load a backup again so that we're able to get our data back. Once we've done that we'll want to turn off the mobile sync. We can do so by going across the top to edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > turn off sync.  Once we've done this try doing a OSU again and see if we're able to download transactions. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Answers

• YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have a look in your data folder first there should be a back up from last 3 or so saved files. You can open one of these if they have no errors you can use this back, and perhaps rename the file.

As to what caused your issue in the first place, cannot tell with that small amount of detail. You'll have to elaborate further?
  • FreeCel
    FreeCel Member
    I spent hours assigning categories to 3 years of transactions for 3 account registers, clicked One Step Update to upload to the cloud, checked my registers and saw that my categories were blank. I checked the categories list and most were gone, blank, disappeared. i.e. Automobile and 10 subcategories, completely gone.
    And to make matters worse, Quicken crashed when I exited the program.
    Where is the data folder? I did a search on my hard drive for quicken files and I found a backup folder with 1 save from 2 days ago. One step update had been utilized several times while I was working on 12/4 so if there are other backups somewhere I can't find them.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @FreeCel

Thank you for the response and the additional details, although I apologize that you're experiencing this trouble.

If you have not done so already, please take a moment to review the steps and information available in this support article

If you still experience crashing after restoring a backup, I would next recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the Quicken application.

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • hamlord
    hamlord Member ✭✭
    This is also happening to me. In one account, three months of reconciled transactions changed to "cleared" and a bunch of transactions lost their categories. Also, my balance increased significantly, so I know there are now either deleted or duplicated transactions. This occurred in several accounts, although to varying degrees of significance. I restored to a backup and ran one step update again and had the same result.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer

Hello @hamlord

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. By chance do you use the mobile and web sync? If you are let's try something here. First we'll want to load a backup again so that we're able to get our data back. Once we've done that we'll want to turn off the mobile sync. We can do so by going across the top to edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > turn off sync.  Once we've done this try doing a OSU again and see if we're able to download transactions. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• hamlord
    hamlord Member ✭✭
    Hey there! I am not sure what the difference was, but I turned off all syncing to the Quicken Cloud (from within the OSU dialog) and was able to sync without issues again. And I have synched (sank?) successfully several times since then. I turned that option off because the first time I saw this issue coincided with the OSU message "Your data is being synced to our improved cloud service..."

But to answer your question, I did have mobile sync turned on (and still do). I don't ever access Quicken from my phone anymore, so I suppose it would be best to turn it off. Is that the only benefit of mobile sync - to have it on the phone app?
  • FreeCel
    FreeCel Member
    In my case, I only use the desktop 2020. I stopped syncing and backup locally. I don't trust One Step Update.
This discussion has been closed.