Home Quicken for Windows Signing in, Passwords, and Activation (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Any Chance of KeyPass Support - Drag and Drop?

I almost never type a password, or if I can avoid it, copy and paste one. I drag and drop instead, and notice when it doesn't work. Apparently these are things that can be monitored and are a security risk as I understand it; with drag and drop being preferable. Partly because I have hundreds of different passwords, I use KeePass to store (and generate long, ugly passwords). It allows one to drag and drop a userid and password - if the target app supports it. Quicken does not that I can see.

There are only a few apps that don't support. Not clear is that's intentional, or a result of (UI) code that apparently been ported and refactored a number of times. This may be a Windows-only issue - and it seems clear to me the app windowing is not very Windows-like from a UX perspective.

At any rate, I advise most people to use a password manager, and if a drag and drop feature is available I suggest they use it when possible.

https://keepass.info/
Tagged:

Best Answer

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    I suggest you use consider using the Global auto-type hot key instead of drag and drop.   You do need to set the entry's auto-type target window appropriately.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    I suggest you use consider using the Global auto-type hot key instead of drag and drop.   You do need to set the entry's auto-type target window appropriately.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • R DIllyR DIlly Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suggest you use consider using the Global auto-type hot key instead of drag and drop.   You do need to set the entry's auto-type target window appropriately.

I've not used that option yet, but am aware of it. Seems like it might be more secure... Good suggestion.

Thanks!
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suggest you use consider using the Global auto-type hot key instead of drag and drop.   You do need to set the entry's auto-type target window appropriately.

Big Thanks!

Global auto-type hot key feature is slick. (I just tried it out.) I used something similar years ago for test case automation. I can see it may require a little effort to get it set up for a large set of passwords, and as I recall there may be some maintenance required. Well worth trying out-
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    It would appear that "Global auto-type hot key " is a KeePass function, and not a Q function. 
    Is that correct?
    If not, how can I find this in Q?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    > @NotACPA said:
    > It would appear that "Global auto-type hot key " is a KeePass function, and not a Q function. 

You are correct, it is a KeePass function. I've been using KeePass for 7 or 8 years. I read up on the particular function mentioned here ...
    https://keepass.info/help/base/autotype.html#autoglobal