Multiple corruption errors immediately after updating to R30.14 and doing one-step update

I have been using Quicken for over 30 years. I have never had an update that so horribly corrupted my data. Multiple transactions are missing their categories or transfer accounts. Account balances are off by thousands of dollars.

I saw another message mentioning a sync error. Is it possible that if my cloud sync data got corrupted, that this would automatically sync back and destroy my local data? Given the timing (immediately after a quicken update), an error by quicken itself seems more likely, though.

I did not review my accounts between my quicken update and my one-step update. So I will try turning off cloud sync, restoring from my last backup, and seeing what happens...

Comments

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you have automatic backups on, Quicken should have created a backup immediately before installing the patch.  The general recommendation is to delete the cloud sync file before restoring the backup.  
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • jodmarch
    jodmarch Member ✭✭
    > The general recommendation is to delete the cloud sync file before restoring the backup.

Thank you @jrich75 . Unfortunately, this does not seem possible to do at present. After disabling sync in the app, I can't access cloud sync through the app (not surprisingly), and my web login is failing (as is "reset password" which fails to send a reset email - yes, I've checked the spam folder). But hopefully having sync totally disabled will suffice. Any other suggestions for how to delete the cloud sync file are welcome.

> If you have automatic backups on, Quicken should have created a backup immediately before installing the patch.

I do, but no, it did not create a backup. I see that another user responded about this on another thread, as follows:

> @jrich75 No Quicken doesn't make an automatic backup before installs these days. In fact not since Quicken 2016, and in fact I'm not sure it ever did for just patch installs.
  • jodmarch
    jodmarch Member ✭✭
    @jrich75 thanks again. My mistake -- it DID make an automatic backup before applying the patch. Turns out that Quicken's automatic backups don't go in the same directory where I do all my manual backups (which I do whenever I change the data). Presumably I assumed, when I changed my manual backup directory years ago, that any auto backups would go in the same place, but no, not automatically.
  • jodmarch
    jodmarch Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    One step at a time. It turns out that you need to disable sync after restoring from backup, not just before, because the sync option is restored along with the backup. So with sync on, on only updating one bank account, I do not see pervasive corruption but there is a problem (one transaction that was downloaded the first time I did this was not downloaded this time.)

I'll repeat, this time disabling sync both before and after restoring the file

[EDIT: Actually I'll disable sync, then restore file, then "reset cloud data", then disable sync, then update bank account..]
  • jodmarch
    jodmarch Member ✭✭
    That seems to have mostly worked. No evident data corruption. Some bank transactions that were downloaded the first time are not downloaded this time, so it's as if they had vanished, which is unfortunate. But I can deal with that manually when the discrepancy comes up during reconcile.

Quicken, if you are listening -- this is shameful!
  • jodmarch
    jodmarch Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    One very tentative theory about what might have gone wrong the first time. I went into one-step-update immediately after updating to R30.14. But this version update seems to take a VERY long time to update the data file (as I saw each time I restored from backup.) So maybe the one-step-update conflicted with the post-version-update data file update? Or maybe it was just all from the cloud sync being broken somehow.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you were able to work through it.  I don't use Q online or mobile so my suggestion was pretty vague.  There have been so many issues regarding data loss, it is just not worth the risk for me.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • jodmarch
    jodmarch Member ✭✭
    > data loss... not worth the risk

Yes, this was not worth the hassle even if it does seem to be reasonably ok now. No more cloud sync for me. Thanks again.
  • I also have experienced multiple transaction corruption after upgrading to R30.14.

Transaction transfer categories were changed. I fixed the ones that I saw. But there is a discrepancy in my checking account, which has history for 15 years. I checked my reconciliation report from the previous reconciliation, and my register balance is off on that date. Trying to figure out where the error is by comparing the last 15 years of checking transactions seems futile.

Very frustrating.
  • jodmarch
    jodmarch Member ✭✭
    Wendell, if you're having to go back to fix things, wouldn't it be easier and more reliable to start with your last pre-30.14 backup? (Disabling cloud sync as noted above).
  • > @jodmarch said:
    > Wendell, if you're having to go back to fix things, wouldn't it be easier and more reliable to start with your last pre-30.14 backup? (Disabling cloud sync as noted above).

Thanks for the suggestion. I just did that and turned off cloud sync. All now looks good after updating my accounts.

I'm giving up on cloud sync, so I'm not planning on turning it back on.
  • Smoothieusa
    Smoothieusa Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    [Removed - Unhelpful] So many issues as you describe above. I stopped syncing to Quicken Cloud a day or two ago to stop Memorized Payee List from being corrupted, losing split categories etc., after every sync. Will be deleting Quicken app from mobile devices. Too bad Quicken hasn't fixed the problem numerous customers are experiencing with Cloud Sync.
  • I have the exact same issue. First time using since 30.14. Got message it was updating to new cloud sync. I have multiple accounts off by thousands of dollars. Quicken I am pissed. 30 yr user. More issues in last few years than the first 25 combined. If there were an alternative program I would switch.
  • I was able to fix cloud sync corruption issue by using procedure above of restoring automatic backup and turning off cloud sync before updating. Cloud sync will never be turned again!
  • Craig Smith
    Craig Smith Member ✭✭
    edited May 21
    As a 30 year user of Quicken, I'm ready to go back to pencil and paper. 
This discussion has been closed.