Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How is Quicken accessing passwords without my vault password?

The thing I do most often is update my main checking account (and two credit cards on the same bank). If I have not done so before, I must give my vault password so it can get the information from the bank. Lately I've noticed that if I start up Quicken and ask to one-step update a different credit card account, it just does so without asking for my vault password. It seems like something very insecure is going on. Bug?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @JBL in AZ

Okay, that is normal behavior now.  Quicken recently changed the way it downloads slightly, and in connection with that change, it no longer saves/displays passwords, in the vault, for all accounts that use the express web connect (EWC) method of connecting with your financial institutions.  And since the passwords are no onger in the vault, there's no need to ask for the vault password.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @JBL in AZ

Okay, that is normal behavior now.  Quicken recently changed the way it downloads slightly, and in connection with that change, it no longer saves/displays passwords, in the vault, for all accounts that use the express web connect (EWC) method of connecting with your financial institutions.  And since the passwords are no onger in the vault, there's no need to ask for the vault password.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a article on that topic:

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JBL in AZ said:
    The thing I do most often is update my main checking account (and two credit cards on the same bank). If I have not done so before, I must give my vault password so it can get the information from the bank. Lately I've noticed that if I start up Quicken and ask to one-step update a different credit card account, it just does so without asking for my vault password. It seems like something very insecure is going on. Bug?

How are you selecting to get information from a different Credit Card Account, if you don't give Quicken your Vault Password? Where in Quicken are you going to update the account?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21354.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.867

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• JBL in AZ
    JBL in AZ Member ✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @""JBL in AZ",
    > How are you selecting to get information from a different Credit Card Account, if you don't give Quicken your Vault Password? Where in Quicken are you going to update the account?

I go to the register for the credit card account, click "Downloaded Transactions" to open the subwindow, and click on "Update Transactions". The next thing I see is a "One Step Update Settings" dialog with the "Update Now" button highlighted. (This is not one of the two credit cards associated with my checking account, which does require me to unlock the Password Vault first.)

I don't think it used to do that, but I may have been using some combination of "Direct Connect" and "Web Express" on my various CC accounts. Anyhow, I hadn't noticed this behavior till this week, but I wouldn't since I normally do my checking account first and open the Password Vault, thus I would not know that I might not have needed to.
    /JBL