Data Corruption

My PC has an SDD drive (C:) as the O/S drive and a large SATA drive for data (D:). I am having issues that support says is because the file MUST be located on the C: Drive. This seems like old stinking thinking to me.

Most new systems have dual drives, it is not a new concept. Support also says that since I have networked drives that it causes file corruption even though the file is not stored there.

They refuse to escalate this. If there is not a cure, does anyone know how to file a ticket for escalation.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    The Quicken program should be installed on the C: drive.  We may safely access the Quicken file in a folder on an internal drive.  I suggest using short (8.3) names (for example, QData.QDF). Do not allow other programs to access the Quicken file while it is open in Quicken (for example, OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, MegaSync). Note:  The Quicken program will also maintain state in the hidden ProgramData folder and the user's hidden AppData folder.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    @tonyb123 , you haven't stated what your "issues" are. Quicken data can become corrupted even when it lives on the C: drive. (Don't ask me how I know.) Storing your data on local drive D should not be a problem.
    What problem are you having? Please be as descriptive as possible. Include screen shots if that will help.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • tonyb123
    tonyb123 Member ✭✭
    My issue is that it asks for my Citi Bank credentials twice. There are 2 Citi accounts. But it asks this after it has already updated both Citi accounts. Support said that this is a data file corruption due to the data file living on my internal D: drive.

The programs are on the C: Drive and the file name is 7 characters.
  • tonyb123
    tonyb123 Member ✭✭
    It is really annoying that Support refuses to escalate my issue. When this happens I typically contact the CEO and that gets action. I was hoping that someone here knows a softer way to get this escalated.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any Citi accounts, but my data file is kept in an encrypted data vault (VeraCrypt) so it looks like it is on a different drive.  I have never had any real data corruption (that I know of).  Quicken Support is feeding you a line of BS.  Maybe you need to escalate by your normal method.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Just to check, have you performed the usual troubleshooting steps including the Copy & Validate?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • tonyb123
    tonyb123 Member ✭✭
    After working for 2 hours with support they did not have me try this. They just insisted that the file HAS TO BE on the C: drive. We did do a validate, not a copy. The validate found a few issues from 2004 - 2011 that are unrelated. They were fixed but the issue continues.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited December 2020
    You could try the Copy and a Super-validate, but this does not sound like data corruption to me. It sounds like an issue with your Citi accounts.
    Have you tried deactivating all Citi accounts, restarting Quicken, and then adding the accounts back? I recommend "adding" and re-linking accounts rather than reactivating, as it seems to work better sometimes. Each account must be deactivated individually, but then the Add Account process finds them all using your credentials.
  • tonyb123
    tonyb123 Member ✭✭
    I deactivated all accounts, deleted all login data and re-linked them. No change.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    I'm out of ideas, sorry.
  • tonyb123
    tonyb123 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I appreciate your help.
  • pls
    pls Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Tech support is blowing smoke. I've had Quicken installed on D : with the data file on E: for years. 
  • cprail1
    cprail1 Member
    I just spent a very circular "Who is on 1st, Whats on 2nd" hour long chat with Quicken Chat Support wherein he/she insisted that the only supported Quicken installation configuration is when the program and all user data files are all on the C: drive. The program files themselves I can perhaps reluctantly accept, but not escalating an issue because the user data (QDF, etc) was on a second drive on the same physical machine was truly frustrating. The person even referenced multiple links in release notes, none of which actual said anything of the sort. In his mind a second, physically installed in the same PC chassis, drive was a "remote" drive. Wow.

I did end up resolving the initial problem myself in the end but that is 90 minutes of my life I'm not ever getting back, particularly unimpressive with a current, paid, subscription, account. Just reinforcing others' frustrations. No further assistance needed unless an explanation for his statement is available that makes technical sense.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I don't see what data corruption you are experiencing so cannot offer assistance for that. I can say that you are not required to have Quicken on the C: drive, only that it and the data file MUST be local. I have Quicken installed on D : like you as well as all Non MS Office apps. My data resides on the G: drive, also local. No issues, no data corruption.
    Some thing else is causing the corruption. Did you say if you are using any cloud functions?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • tonyb123
    tonyb123 Member ✭✭
    I wrote to the Office of the CEO of Quicken. I got an immediate response from a staff member. They scheduled a call with a Senior Tech. The Tech called promptly at the scheduled time. We spent over an hour getting it fixed (I think, I will know tomorrow when I update). He laughed when I told him that I was told that the data file had to be on C. I think the problem was a rogue CitiCards account that was inactivated. We inactivated and deleted that account.

Here are some of the steps he did:

Account List - Deactivate and delete financial institution. He also had me add the last 4 digits of the account to the Account Name (so you know which is what when it connects)

He made a trip through the Tools - Online Center - Update

Many trips through Edit - Preferences - Mobile & Web - It is actually turned off right now which seems wrong

File - File Operations - Validate & Repair

Finally - Tools - Account list - Add Account to reconnect to the banks.

After I get a successful sync with data I will turn on the Mobile Sync and hope for the best.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @tonyb123 Do yourself a big safety step, make a backup before you activate Mobile.  Whether Quicken likes to admit it or not, it has corrupted more than its share of data files.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    splasher said:
    @tonyb123 Do yourself a big safety step, make a backup before you activate Mobile.  Whether Quicken likes to admit it or not, it has corrupted more than its share of data files.
    My safety tip to @tonyb123 would be to turn off Quicken Mobile/Web sync, that is if you like your data file at all.

The big problem with the way the Quicken sync to cloud corrupts data files is that it can hit any part of your data file.  Transactions (any date), Memorized payee list, splits in paycheck entries, deleted accounts, ...  and it might not be obvious that it has happened for a long period of time.  And then you better have backups for a real long time, and you better be willing to redownload (if even possible because of the length of time) and/or reenter that data.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • tonyb123
    tonyb123 Member ✭✭
    The only thing I do is add cash transactions from my phone.

And yes, I back up every time I close the file and have filesystem backups, too. I have been a tech for 30 years and have the burn marks to prove it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    tonyb123 said:
    The only thing I do is add cash transactions from my phone.
    Frankly I think is it totally irrelevant of what you do.
    The relevant part is what the sync does, and your actions can't control what it does.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Case in point.  I'm quite sure all of the people that did a sync and had accounts deleted didn't do anything that told it to delete those accounts.  The sync "decided" that for "itself" (bugs in a system with the power to do basically anything they want to your data file don't care what you do.)
    Signature:
  • Something stinks here. I've been using Quicken for over 20 years and for most of that time, years and years, Quicken has been on the D: drive and the data and backup drives are stored there too. Just last week I opened up the program and the register didn't show any transactions from 2020 on two different accounts ( I haven't checked the other lessor used accounts, I'm too traumatized by these two I use the most). Tech support also told me the issue was due to Quicken being installed on a drive other than C: which I find hard to believe. That can't be found in the installation guide or elsewhere . . . Meanwhile when I start the program it attempts to sync data with the cloud, even though I never set that up. This only started recently: I believe whenever I either upgraded Quicken to this subscription version or when the program did an update. In any event that's new, rouge behavior. Something is amiss and I suspect it's the program itself that corrupted my data, not what drive the data or program is on, and Quicken is engaged in a coverup. This program has corrupted my data file and thousands of transactions are jeopardized and their only solution is create a new data file and start over. Maybe I'll put a call in too the CEO too.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something stinks here. I've been using Quicken for over 20 years and for most of that time, years and years, Quicken has been on the D: drive and the data and backup drives are stored there too. Just last week I opened up the program and the register didn't show any transactions from 2020 on two different accounts ( I haven't checked the other lessor used accounts, I'm too traumatized by these two I use the most). Tech support also told me the issue was due to Quicken being installed on a drive other than C: which I find hard to believe. That can't be found in the installation guide or elsewhere . . . Meanwhile when I start the program it attempts to sync data with the cloud, even though I never set that up. This only started recently: I believe whenever I either upgraded Quicken to this subscription version or when the program did an update. In any event that's new, rouge behavior. Something is amiss and I suspect it's the program itself that corrupted my data, not what drive the data or program is on, and Quicken is engaged in a coverup. This program has corrupted my data file and thousands of transactions are jeopardized and their only solution is create a new data file and start over. Maybe I'll put a call in too the CEO too.

Before restoring a Quicken file backup (or opening an earlier version of a Quicken file), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts and enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue but, for now, before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.

• tnmats
    tnmats Member ✭✭
    edited June 13
    I tried as you suggested Sherlock, creating a new data set (several times) and syncing with that new account (( first manually change mobile data file's name to be the same name as the new data set). But, in the link you gave, in step 3 I never see "Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID" in the Preferences pop-up as shown, only the "Edit dataset name" link
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13
    tnmats said:
    I tried as you suggested Sherlock, creating a new data set (several times) and syncing with that new account (( first manually change mobile data file's name to be the same name as the new data set). But, in the link you gave, in step 3 I never see "Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID" in the Preferences pop-up as shown, only the "Edit dataset name" link
    I did not suggest creating a new data set (several times) and syncing with that new account (( first manually change mobile data file's name to be the same name as the new data set).

If you do not see Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID (#) below the Edit dataset name button, I suspect you have not used a different Quicken file with a distinct internal file identifier associated with the Quicken ID or you have deleted the other cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID.