Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Renew vs Buy - Quicken Home Business and Rental Property

Janice Harry Ostrander
edited December 2020 in Before you Buy
It seems cheaper to purchase new Program instead of renewing my 2020 product. I can not find a 2021 program for this.

Answers

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    It is often cheaper to buy from a retailer rather than renewing through Quicken.  There were recent sales at Office Depot and Amazon that had substantial savings but I don't see them right now.  You don't need to install the new program,  just enter the Activation Code to extend your existing subscription (within the last 6 months). 
    The program year doesn't really mean much anymore because the with a subscription and frequent updates, there really isn't a major revision for the coming year; instead there are a lot of smaller updates all through the year.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Buying and extending are essentially the same.  You either get an extension to the subscription electronically by Quicken.com at the time of purchase OR you get an activation code that will extend the subscription (at your time of choosing) when you buy from a retail partner.
    There is never a need to re-install the program if you already have subscription Quicken installed to apply an extension.
    The year of the product only establishes when the activation codes were generated and when they expire (2 years after generation).
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
This discussion has been closed.