Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

What Quicken for Canada version should I use?

I'm a long time user, since the 1990's. From time to time I think about upgrading from my Quicken 2014 Cash Manager version. I've always entered my data manually but I'd like to be able to enter investment data which my version doesn't have. When Intuit went to the subscription model that locked our data, I wasn't going to upgrade. I read they removed the lock, but the version I looked at in probably 2019 had horrible reviews due to very buggy software. Now I'm reading the lock is still gone, but we lose a portion of our screen if we don't upgrade. I haven't heard any comments on how stable the software is, but I'm concerned if updates are forced upon us and functionally breaks. Any suggestions on what version I could use for manual data entry that includes investment tracking? I've thought about going back to an older 2010 version I have, but then I assume I wouldn't be able to read my 2014 data file. Suggestions?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why you would want to go back to Quicken 2010 if you have been successful in using Quicken 2014 all this time.  But you are right Quicken 2010 will not read a Quicken 2014 data file.

As far as going to the subscription version.
    The Deluxe version would be better for you all around given that you want to have investment accounts.

The Starter version is the same the old Cash Manager version, so, no investment accounts.  With Deluxe you get the investment accounts and can still use it if the subscription lapses.  It does have the mentioned 25% of the windows taken up by the ad to renew.  But the Starter version goes one step further and is goes read-only if the subscription lapses.

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Side note (that doesn't do you much good), Quicken Inc has kept the data file backwards compatible to Quicken 2016, so Quicken 2016 and above can read the Subscription data file.
    Signature:
  • CanUser
    CanUser Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I don't understand why you would want to go back to Quicken 2010 if you have been successful in using Quicken 2014 all this time.  But you are right Quicken 2010 will not read a Quicken 2014 data file.
    >
    > As far as going to the subscription version.
    > The Deluxe version would be better for you all around given that you want to have investment accounts.
    >
    > The Starter version is the same the old Cash Manager version, so, no investment accounts.  With Deluxe you get the investment accounts and can still use it if the subscription lapses.  It does have the mentioned 25% of the windows taken up by the ad to renew.  But the Starter version goes one step further and is goes read-only if the subscription lapses.

Thanks. I wasn't clear about my 2010 version. It had investment tracking. As the lack of it in my 2014 version is the only reason I'm looking to change it, I need to either go forward to the subscription version, or back to my 2010 version. The 2014 introduced a bug that 2010 didn't have so I'd get rid of that small problem, but not being able to read my 2014 data file would be a deal breaker. It's really too bad Intuit has the tactics it has to get people to pay the subscription. It's enough for me to not buy it at all. I think my best bet is to stay with my trusty 2014 and continue with my workaround using a savings account to track the value of my investments. It works well enough for my purposes.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just so you know Intuit has owned Quicken for several years now.  They sold it off, the new company is Quicken Inc.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.