Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do I stop Quicken from adding a category and tag to my Walmart transactions?

In the past I must have put a walmart purchase as a rental expense with a tag for that property. Now, with my wife getting groceries from walmart during the pandemic - she picks them up curbside - and adds things over a few days or something so the credit card registers many transactions. When I download them, quicken auto categorizes them to rental property with that property tag and I have to change this every time. I have auto categorize turned off. How to do I stop this? It's been annoying for months now. Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Todd38,

You can delete those from the Memorized Payee List.  Here's how:

1. Choose Tools menu > Memorized Payee List;
    2. Page down and Select the Payee you want to delete (note - there could be more than one);
    3. Click "Delete", and then click OK to confirm the deletion. 
    Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Todd38,

You can delete those from the Memorized Payee List.  Here's how:

1. Choose Tools menu > Memorized Payee List;
    2. Page down and Select the Payee you want to delete (note - there could be more than one);
    3. Click "Delete", and then click OK to confirm the deletion. 
    Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Todd38
    Todd38 Member
    I think that worked great. I however will not know for sure until I download those transactions, but I think that did it. I do have another question for you if it's ok.

Both my wife and I have an investment account with the state of Ohio that does not allow downloads of any type. It is their deferred compensation plan. I have it listed as a retirement account under investing. However, under the planning heading, lifetime planner, it does not show up as an investment, but under current homes and assets. How do I get this under investments? I actually have several accounts that do this. I want quicken to evaluate my retirement plan, but it only has 2 of my 6 investment accounts labeled correctly.

Thanks,

Todd
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Todd38

It's hard to know for sure why that retirement account is showing up in the wrong place, but I suspect that it has to do with how it was setup in Quicken.  If you open the account's register > then click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right > select "edit account details" > in the pop-up window I suspect that you will see the "Account type" is "asset".  This sometimes happens with unusual accounts that users don't know how to enter into Quicken.  Instead, that field should be something from the "Investing & Retirement" types - like 401(k) - even though technically it isn't a 401(k) account, Q users need to use the closest type that is available.

So you need to evaluate whether you should delete the account(s) that are currently not properly classified and open new one(s) in Quicken (because you cannot change account types once they are set).  With the one you describe - one that you can't download in Quicken - it may be relatively easy to delete and re-establish.  However it may be more difficult for the others that you mention above.

Hope this helps. Feel free to revert if you have any followups.

Frankx