Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Huge updating problem Dec 9 2020

On updating today dozens of transactions were overwritten or deleted. New categories were assigned to some transactions. Reconciliation is way off. What happened??

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Before attempting to restore the Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    iMark said:
    I did this once for the two files I use. Now I've had to do it again!

Is there a permanent solution??
    There isn't a permanent solution.

If you're using two Quicken files, each Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier otherwise they're sharing the same cloud account.  Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.

Even when we've never enable Sync or selected accounts to be synchronized to the Quicken Cloud, Quicken is synchronizing some data with the cloud account associated with the file identifier.

When we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope Quicken will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Before attempting to restore the Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
  • iMark
    iMark Member
    It worked well, thanks!
  • Wendy
    Wendy Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem - transactions appear to be overwritten as far back as September 1, 2020 for me. My last backup was December 3, so I'd rather not have to restore that way... The only accounts this happened with are my 2 Citi accounts. Will deleting the cloud account restore my previously categorized transactions?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wendy said:
    I have the same problem - transactions appear to be overwritten as far back as September 1, 2020 for me. My last backup was December 3, so I'd rather not have to restore that way... The only accounts this happened with are my 2 Citi accounts. Will deleting the cloud account restore my previously categorized transactions?
    No.  Deleting the cloud account before restoring the Quicken file prevents the cloud account from impacting the restored file. 
  • jrf40
    jrf40 Member ✭✭
    I had the same problem as well listed above affecting three different accounts: Citi, Target and US Bank. Deleting the cloud account did not solve the issue however. Any other suggestions?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    jrf40 said:
    I had the same problem as well listed above affecting three different accounts: Citi, Target and US Bank. Deleting the cloud account did not solve the issue however. Any other suggestions?
    After deleting the cloud account, you need to restore a backup of the Quicken file saved prior to the issue.   
  • iMark
    iMark Member

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @iMark Are you using Quicken Mobile/Web?

If so the permanent solution is to stop using it.

And because Express Web Connect is going to the same kind of sync system, it probably has to be included (as not used) in the "permanent solution".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    iMark said:

There isn't a permanent solution.

If you're using two Quicken files, each Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier otherwise they're sharing the same cloud account.  Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.

Even when we've never enable Sync or selected accounts to be synchronized to the Quicken Cloud, Quicken is synchronizing some data with the cloud account associated with the file identifier.

When we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope Quicken will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good point @Sherlock I keep forgetting about that use case.

"Syncing" happens in three use cases now.
    1. If the user copies that data file (doesn't use File -> New Quicken File...) they are basically telling Quicken to try to keep those two data files '"in sync" for certain pieces of "cloud data", and it is certainly going to mess up in strange ways if the user is in fact editing the two data files independently.
    2. "Quicken Cloud Sync" better known as syncing to Quicken Mobile/Web (which are just the GUIs for accessing the Quicken Cloud account transaction/budget data.
    3. Express Web Connect (the new "QCS" system they are going to).  Basically this is the same syncing as "Quicken Cloud Sync" with the exception that if "Quicken Cloud Sync" is off then this information isn't allowed to be displayed on those "GUIs".
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Good point @Sherlock I keep forgetting about that use case.

"Syncing" happens in three use cases now.
    1. If the user copies that data file (doesn't use File -> New Quicken File...) they are basically telling Quicken to try to keep those two data files '"in sync" for certain pieces of "cloud data", and it is certainly going to mess up in strange ways if the user is in fact editing the two data files independently.
    2. "Quicken Cloud Sync" better known as syncing to Quicken Mobile/Web (which are just the GUIs for accessing the Quicken Cloud account transaction/budget data.
    3. Express Web Connect (the new "QCS" system they are going to).  Basically this is the same syncing as "Quicken Cloud Sync" with the exception that if "Quicken Cloud Sync" is off then this information isn't allowed to be displayed on those "GUIs".
    @Chris_QPW:  Regarding that use case, you may also want note a backup is a copy so restoring a backup may also mess up in strange ways.
  • jrf40
    jrf40 Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, after deleting the cloud account, I restored to an older backup of the Quicken file saved prior to the issue and it is still messing up. This seems like an Express Web issue. Any Express Web account I use to update will delete existing entries with my custom comments and re-enter the generic downloaded data.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jrf40 said:
    Sherlock, after deleting the cloud account, I restored to an older backup of the Quicken file saved prior to the issue and it is still messing up. This seems like an Express Web issue. Any Express Web account I use to update will delete existing entries with my custom comments and re-enter the generic downloaded data.
    If you're restoring the backup without opening the problematic Quicken file, I suspect you're not having the same problem.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    @Chris_QPW:  Regarding that use case, you may also want note a backup is a copy so restoring a backup may also mess up in strange ways.
    Agreed, I'm going to add that to my list.
    Signature:
  • jrf40
    jrf40 Member ✭✭
    I did it correctly this time. I think it worked. Had to go back a week.

So as long as I leave Cloud Sync off, the problem should not occur again?

Will Express Web Connect (Use Case 3 ) ever cause an issue? Or does leaving Cloud Sync off protect me from this here as well?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jrf40 said:
    I did it correctly this time. I think it worked. Had to go back a week.

So as long as I leave Cloud Sync off, the problem should not occur again?

Will Express Web Connect (Use Case 3 ) ever cause an issue? Or does leaving Cloud Sync off protect me from this here as well?
    We do not know what caused your specific issue.  We know how to recover when the issue is detected.

If you leave Cloud Sync off, stop using the Express Web Connect connection method, and always delete the cloud account before attempting to restore the Quicken file backup or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File with the same file identifier, you will eliminate the code paths we currently suspect to be responsible for a variety of issues.
  • jrf40
    jrf40 Member ✭✭
    Worked like magic. Thank you very much.