Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why is Quicken not reconciling checking account after download/update?

In the last few weeks, I have had problems reconciling my BofA checking account in Quicken after downloading transactions and updating. To force reconciliation, I have added the difference shown in the Reconcile window to my register. Then, a few days later, the account reconciliation shows it is off by the exact same amount, so I delete the previously made Balanced Adjustment and the account is again reconciled. What is happening? I am using Windows Version R30.14. See attached screen grab.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that you're reconciling to the "online" balance if you're doing reconciliations after each download?
    It's clearly a "timing" issue of some sort as it tends to correct itself with subsequent downloads.  When you get this suggestion to add a plug figure in order to reconcile I'd stop right there and check to see that the online number Quicken is using to balance to is the same number you're seeing up at BofA's web site.  What method are you using to download information? (Edit/delete account > Online Services tab.)
  • Jim Russell
    Jim Russell Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your diagnosis. "Timing" does make sense, but when I compare Quicken and the BofA web site, I get 3 different balances: 1. BofA web site balance; 2. BofA web site balance plus items still being processed; 3. Quicken balance. All 3 are different. Don't know why but suspect the problem will eventually go away. But, never used to have the problem at all. Did Quicken or BofA change their way of computing balance?
  • Jim Russell
    Jim Russell Member ✭✭
    BTW, I am downloading bank info by using Quicken's One Step Update on all accounts.
  • Tom Young
    Select Edit/delete account > Online Services tab and see what is the actual method used for downloading information.  It might be - probably is - Express Web Connect.  If that's the case then see if you can use Direct Connect with BofA as that's the most reliable method.
  • Jim Russell
    Jim Russell Member ✭✭
    Tom, it IS "Direct Connect." More suggestions?
  • Jim Russell
    Jim Russell Member ✭✭
    Screen shot
  • Tom Young
    edited December 2020
    @Jim Russell
    Direct Connect should be pretty darn bullet proof.  It might be some sort of issue that's "local" to your file. 
    Why don't you set up a new test file with that BofA Account in it and download into both files for a few days and see if things seem to work OK in the test file.  The fact that the "Quicken" online balance does sort of suggest that it could be a local issue.
    It wouldn't hurt to do a File Operations > Copy... and then using the copied file do File Operations > Validate and Repair...
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I get this timing issue on a regular basis with a couple of my EWC credit cards and bank accounts but it also occasionally happens with a few of my DC accounts (BBVA Bank and Citi Cards credit cards). 
    For me it started about a year ago when BBVA did a major system upgrade.  Since then DC with them acts more like EWC unless I am sending a bill pay or transfer command and then it acts more like DC should. 
    For my DC credit cards (Citi Cards) and EWC accounts it started last spring. 
    For me the only things that consistently "fixes" this timing issue are:
    • To wait 12-24 hrs and run OSU, again.
    • Or send a bill pay or transfer command to BBVA and it then is fixed right away.
    • Or deactivate/reactivate the account...but that can introduce other issues that I'd rather not have to deal with if I don't need to.
    • Reset Account sometimes fixes it and sometimes doesn't.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • Jim Russell
    Jim Russell Member ✭✭
    So bizarre. I downloaded my BofA cleared transactions today and, wonder of wonders, the account reconciled all by itself. There must be a reason for this continuing problem and subsequent reconciliation. Surely BofA or Quicken need to correct something!