Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

This product is wreaking my credit score

My score has dropped 150 points since I started using this bill pay product in August. Payments are consistently missed with messages days later that the payment failed. Never USED to fail but with this Bill Manager they do. No payment history like before, never clear where you stand on a particular payment. And there is no help here, no one to talk to, no overview of how the system is supposed to work conceptually, nothing but "read this" "click here" . Worst product and product support on earth.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @Roy B

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you're experiencing this frustration.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for assistance. The Community is a user to user forum and the support has the tools to better address your issue.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Support has the ability to review your online biller profile to research and report any issues that you are experiencing with the Quicken Bill Manger.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    My strong recommendation would be to stop using Quicken Bill Pay.

I see no reason to contact Quicken support to try to get them to "fix" a system that clearly doesn't work reliably.  What can they really do?

Sure you might be helping them make it more reliable by finding what is causing some of the problems, but at the the cost of your credit score.

I tried to use "Bill Presentment" which Quicken Bill Manager is based on for years and it was always unreliable, what's more it corrupted the Quicken data file at times (bugs).  There is no way I would trust such a system for my bills, but if I did I would have certainly stopped using after the first time it failed to pay a bill correctly.

Quicken Inc seems to feel that if they can make a system 99% reliable that is good enough for such services.  Well that means that 1 in 100 bills sent out will have problems.  It isn't good enough.

Roy B said:
    no overview of how the system is supposed to work conceptually, 
    What we (users) have been able to piece together it works like this.

To get the bill the third party uses "web scraping" or maybe a provided interface to access the bills on the "biller's site".  Given the number of "billers" and the lack of any kind of standard this is going be working just like Express Web Connect where there are a number of ways/agreements of just how to get that data off of the biller's website.  Clearly some are more reliable than others.

Now for bill payments you add on to that system.  They "attempt" to use the biller's payment system to pay the bill.  So unlike Quicken Bill Pay or using Direct Connect to your financial institution's bill payment system where the payment is a "push" from the checking account to the biller, Quicken Bill Manager is an "attempt" at getting the biller to "pull" the payment from the checking account.

You will notice I kept saying attempt.  Because clearly it doesn't work reliably.

The question has to be "What makes it unreliable?".

I personally have had almost all my bills paid "automatically" by signing into the biller's sites and setting up them automatically withdrawing the payments from my credit card when available or when not from my checking account.  I have been doing this for about 30 years without a single missed payment.  This is a "pull" system.  So clearly the problem isn't in the biller's ability to do automatic payments.  It is in the third party system's ability to get into these websites and properly schedule the bill.

My recommendation would be either to do it like I do or use your financial institution's website, or find a financial institution that support Direct Connect bill paying where it is Quicken talking directly to your financial institution's bill payment system using the OFX standard.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.