Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Chris_QPW migrating to new file copy

Hi - saw your handle mentioned on a related thread - been struggling w/ downloads from one bank for a couple of months - quicken support says it's the bank's issue, the bank says it's quickens. I saw where you might have some tips on starting a new file and transferring all the account info from the old to new file - and in the process get rid of any corruption issues if that is the cause. Been using quicken since the MYM DAYS w/ detail going back at least to 2001. Can you (or anyone) help me?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before trying to transfer information, have you tried simply setting up a test file, creating whatever accounts you have with that bank, providing  the information needed for downloading, and running that for a few days?  That might shed some light on the problem, which might be something in your file.
    What downloading process is used with this bank, and what's the bank's name?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I strongly echo @Tom Youngs suggestion.  The only way to transfer your data to another data file is by QIF which is very difficult and leaves a lot behind that you have to reproduce.  And if you are having problems downloading from a given financial institution it isn't even likely that it would fix the problem.

What's more even if the problem is in your data file, most likely you could fix it by starting a new account in that data file instead of having to create a new data file.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • RHM
    RHM Member
    Hi. Thanks so much for your time.
    Huntington Bank
    I did a test file and it worked - but did not run it for a few days, I just did it with quicken support on the line so they said it was a corrupt file issue. That was maybe a mnonth ago.
    At Huntington, you use the same user and password for express or direct - I'm set up with direct so I can use Huntington's bill pay from quicken.
    I have 7 acccounts that get updated at this bank - I don't know if it's just one causing the issue. I'll also try adding one account at a time in the current file to the update process and see if one seems to trigger it - it's a sporadic issue, but more an issue than not lately. I get the "feeling" it's related to the direct connect bill pay - just a feeling at this point.
    I guess I could run the test file and my real file at the same time??? And then I can run it for a few days or a week and see what happens.
    I welcome any other suggestions or input - thank again.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes you can use both data files and test for awhile.  If you really want to take the plunge at trying to move your data to a new data file here is instructions on that:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

I notice that the old link to a discussion on here about all the pitfalls is no longer available.

That old link is:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/i-just-succeeded-in-recreating-my-data-file-using-a-qif-export-import

If any of the Moderators or SuperUsers know how to get it back it would be appreciated.
    Signature:
  • RHM
    RHM Member
    Thanks!
    For those that may later have this same issue, I'll try to post updates.
    As of day 2, new file works fine, old file errored out w/ only 2 of the accounts downloading - my 2 most important - so this morning I've turned those off and am adding all the accounts fresh and I'll see how that works - along w/ doing the test file each day also. This is so much more helpful than quicken support....makes sense if the corruption is related to one of the huntington accounts I can just start a fresh account - hoping that is the case.
    WOW. The link you provided was what I was originally looking for - I had used this many years ago to create a new file - I left the transfers as xfr and just moved forward - so I will do this if the above doesn't work. THANK YOU!!!
  • RHM
    RHM Member
    OK - update time.
    I still got errors, so I did the new dataset route - used the free program linked to above, read a bunch of posts about that process (deleted all the quicken categories before importing was a big one), and started a brand new file. So far, so good. It does take some work to reconcile everything, which I don't mind. I may go back and change the xfr categories to real transfers, but I really don't know if I need to. This thread was very helpful to me and I thank everyone!
    Merry Christmas.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @RHM I'm glad that is working for you.  On the changing of the transfers back to linked transfers.  Unless you do a lot of bouncing between accounts it probably isn't worth it, especially "in bulk".  But be warned that for it to work with find and replace the "transfer detection" has to kick in, and that doesn't happen for investment accounts.
    Signature:
  • RHM
    RHM Member
    thank you.
    update: Still working fine - got an error this morning, but downloaded a bit after that and it corrected. Some things look a little different in the update process - a new symbol shows up when processing next to each account that I don't think was there before - perhaps one of the upgrades in the past didn't work right, and starting from scratch fixed that. It takes a while to get everything reconciled again. Nice that the online payees come over in the qif - so just a matter of setting up my reminders again. I've had to open the old file a few times to check on something to make sure I have it right - and I took a screenshot of hte remninders and then went to the new account and updated things.
    THANKS EVERYONE!!