Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Reconcile difference is no longer zero?

I've used Quicken for years. When I reconciled an account, it did NOT show an outstanding balance in the "difference". It has always been zero and not included any outstanding payments. All of a sudden it includes the outstanding payments and I do NOT want it to. How do I change this back to show the difference as ZERO?! Thanks in advance
Tagged:

Best Answer

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    I guess I'm not explaining things too well. I apologize for that. It boils down to when I have "use online balance"...that balance includes pending items rather than just the items that have already cleared at the bank. For example.....if the online balance tells me $400 but that $400 includes a $50 pending item. I don't want them to use that $400 balance with the pending item, I want to use the already cleared balance of $350. I know that probably makes no sense but it makes it impossible to balance a statement if there are outstanding items.
    The online balance is not supposed to include transactions that haven't cleared at the bank.  If the account is using Express Web Connect connection method, you should report the issue to Quicken Support so they may escalate the issue to Intuit's scripting team: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options   If the account is using the Direct Connect or Web Connect connection method, you should report the issue to the financial institution.

Until the online balance issue for the account is addressed, I suggest you chose Use paper statement when you reconcile.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10

Answers

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are those outstanding payments some how getting marked cleared?
    The reconcile window will always show both uncleared and cleared transactions if they are on or before the statement end date, but only the cleared transactions should be added into the difference calculation.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • LoneWolf1038LoneWolf1038 Member ✭✭
    I notice that for some reason, when reconciling, it is using the "Statement ending balance" instead of the Online balance. I didn't change it, and I don't have any check boxes that I can see to change it back. I wanted to always use online balance, but this is using statement ending balance. How do I change it back? My bank made some changes a week or so and I had to deactivate the account, and then link it. That seems to be when I lost the Online Balance. Can someone please tell me where I go to get the online balance back again. Thanks in advance.
    edited December 2020
    I have been trying to figure out why my reconciliation was not working correctly. I am using "Use online balance" like I always do, but it is including the "pending transactions" in that online balance. How do I keep the pending transactions from being included. I just want them to show me what has already cleared and not the pending items.
    I have been trying to figure out why my reconciliation was not working correctly. I am using "Use online balance" like I always do, but it is including the "pending transactions" in that online balance. How do I keep the pending transactions from being included. I just want them to show me what has already cleared and not the pending items.
    When we Use online balance, the reconcile uses a balance and a date for the balance obtained from the financial institution.  If there are pending transactions in the register prior to the date for the balance, they are candidates for the reconcile and should appear in the reconcile window.

If you only want to see the transactions that are marked as cleared in the register, open the register, select Reset and Cleared in the pull-down menu just to the left of the Reset button.

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    I guess I'm not explaining things too well. I apologize for that. It boils down to when I have "use online balance"...that balance includes pending items rather than just the items that have already cleared at the bank. For example.....if the online balance tells me $400 but that $400 includes a $50 pending item. I don't want them to use that $400 balance with the pending item, I want to use the already cleared balance of $350. I know that probably makes no sense but it makes it impossible to balance a statement if there are outstanding items.
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    The online balance is not supposed to include transactions that haven't cleared at the bank.  If the account is using Express Web Connect connection method, you should report the issue to Quicken Support so they may escalate the issue to Intuit's scripting team: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options   If the account is using the Direct Connect or Web Connect connection method, you should report the issue to the financial institution.

Until the online balance issue for the account is addressed, I suggest you chose Use paper statement when you reconcile.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10