Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

After the R30.14 update, One Step Update overwrites payees and categories [Edited]

Michael KaiserMichael Kaiser Member ✭✭
After updating to R30.14, I did a One Step Update. For all of my bank accounts (two banks) existing transactions (most reconciled) for the past 3 month had the payee and category overwritten.
I've verified that I do not have [ ] Automatically categorize transactions nor [ ] Automatically apply Quicken's suggested name to payee checked. The result is a disaster! Instead of my mortgage payment being split to principal, interest and escrow the category is blank; likewise for credit card payments. A real mess! I've noticed that the method of downloading bank transactions has changed. Does this affect internal transaction IDs?
I've validated my data file, and there are no errors.

Best Answers

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    Hello All,

A fix for this behavior is included with the R30.19 HF3 now available in staged format to a limited number of users.

This fix is to avoid users experiencing this issue in the future, however for users who may have already experienced this issue, please install the R30.19 release and restore a backup of the file where the categories are correct.

In the backup file, run a One Step Update, with or without the cloud sync active.

If transactions are not categorized when expected, check if any Payee is selected for ‘Never Auto Categorize’ in the Memorized Payee List, those Payee’s will not be categorized. 

If you do not receive a prompt in Quicken to install the R30.19 release, it is also available by downloading and installing the Mondo Patch available here.

Please reply here to let us know how it goes and if issues with the categories or other transaction data disappearing persists.

Thank you,

Sarah

[edited to provide additional information, QS]
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello All,

Thank you for reporting that you continue to experience issues with the payees and categories being overwritten during the One Step Update.

If you have followed the provided steps by installing the R30.21 release, restoring a backup copy where the payees/categories are correct and still experience the data being overwritten during One Step Update, our teams request that you please go to the Help menu and select "Report a Problem".

In the window that opens, enter "Update Issues" in the subject line, select the boxes for every file listed, including a sanitized data file copy and when ready click Send to Quicken.

Sanitizing a data file removes all personally identifiable information including financial institution credentials and obfuscates the transaction data to ensure your privacy remains intact.

Thank you,

Sarah

Answers

• edenjwedenjw Member ✭✭
    Using subscription version R30.14. After using one step update on 12/7/20, several of my credit card accounts had missing categories that I had previously entered. I noticed since it also erased the historical payments from my checking account. This occurred after the transfer to the new Quicken cloud update. I will reenter the categories in each account, but wondered if anyone is having the same issue.
  • Hello @edenjw

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I'm wondering here if it might be an issue with the cloud or an issue during the one step update. I'd recommend restoring a backup so that we're able to see what might be the case. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Once we've restored a backup with our information lets try turning off the mobile sync and see what we're able to find. I'll leave instructions below.

In the top left select Edit > Preferences > Mobile and Web > Turn Sync off

Once you've done this try seeing if we're able to download transactions afterwards. Depending on if we are we'll see what we can try next. 

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Randy 415Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    I had a similar issue, but it happened with my transfer categories, in my paypal account. After the Sync to the new cloud, all unreconciled transfers had a blank in the category field. I am going back to my backup now.

• This happened to me too. Big problem for me. I have spent several hours (probably 40) creating split transactions between two businesses and personal. All gone from several accounts. I did not discover until after a couple of hours worth of work today. I will restore to backup but am concerned downloads will be out of synch now. What a BIG BUG. Who did the QA on this last release?
  • marceeduchenemarceeduchene Member
    edited December 2020
    Follow up to above message from me. Was able to restore from Backup. After turning Mobile/Web Sync off per Francisco's instructions above, I was able to re-download the most recent transactions from my financial institutions. All is well--only a couple of hours of today's work is lost. I'm cool with that. Sorry for the smart remark insinuating a major QA failure. I have been a loyal Quicken user since the late 1990's and still love it.
    So the issue happens on various transactions, not all. Mostly recent ones. Not reconciled. Happened in my Visa account and my Paypal account. Not my checking accounts. I restored backup as suggested. I turned off Web Sync. I downloaded transactions. They downloaded fine, and my registers all look fine. Now what?

• It actually wiped out my reconciled transactions from September 2020 forward (I reconcile my accounts after every download and I download at least twice weekly). I will say, however, not every transaction was affected. In some cases the category remained but the the tag was wiped out. In other cases both category and tag were cleared (many of which were split for a single transaction). Then there were some unaffected transactions.
  • edenjwedenjw Member ✭✭
    I only have mobile sync turned on for two accounts, neither of which were affected. This happened when Quicken cloud moved to another server. I don't want to go to a restored backup since I've already reentered the transaction categories. The categories that were deleted were for transactions dated after 9/11/20.
  • I had same issue since Monday when notice of update to new Cloud service appeared upon update. After installing new version of Quicken and turning off automatic cloud sync, the issue appears to be resolved. hoping this worked....
  • edenjwedenjw Member ✭✭
    I've also turned off Cloud Sync. Hope this resolves the issue for now as well.
  • JosephJoseph Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Same thing happened to me. Did a One Step Update and got a message that the transactions were being updated to a new format for Quicken cloud service. Then it proceeded to remove the categories for credit card and bank transactions for a couple of months back. Took me a couple of hours to reconcile and correct. I have now turned off the syncing to Quicken Mobile & Web. Clearly insufficient testing done on this so thanks for that.
  • mjackson60mjackson60 Member ✭✭
    This issue occurred with me with the R30.9 release and repeated with R30.14 release. After restoring files to recover my lost categories, I was able to prevent the category loss by turning off cloud sync. It is troubling, unexpected and leaves you with no confidence when you lose your cross referenced information. I became aware of the issue when my checking account balance increased by several thousands of dollars. Lo and behold, I found that hundreds of transaction categories were now blank. For example, several of my credit card payments that were categorized to my checking account were now blank. Quicken, if you are listening, this issue needs to be corrected and soon! This is not acceptable. I have been using Quicken since 1986. I'm and old timer from the DOS days. I love Quicken and I could not imagine not using it. Please hear us and please correct this issue.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited December 2020
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue.

If you have not done so already, I would also recommend navigating to Help > Report a Problem to report this issue.

This report will not receive a direct response but the information will be used to investigate and research purposes to better understand this issue.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
    Good suggestion. Thanks for the reminder.
    "Report a Problem" does not allow you to attach multiple screenshots. I took the screenshots when it happened, annotated them, and saved them. I can only attach TXT files.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before attempting to restore the Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Sherlock: Thanks for your prompt reply. Your solution worked! I would have never thought to delete the Quicken Cloud dataset, since I do not sync any of my data to the Cloud.
  • The exact same hing happened to me. It made quite a mess of all my accounts. I turned off SYNC which appears to have deleted my Cloud Dataset. Is it safe to turn it back on? This all started with the message that Quicken was re-syncing my Cloud Dataset.
    The exact same hing happened to me. It made quite a mess of all my accounts. I turned off SYNC which appears to have deleted my Cloud Dataset. Is it safe to turn it back on? This all started with the message that Quicken was re-syncing my Cloud Dataset.
    Disabling Sync would not delete the cloud account.

As to whether it's safe to turn it back on, the answer would depend on what you mean by safe.  
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • ERedERed Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > Disabling Sync would not delete the cloud account.
    >
    > As to whether it's safe to turn it back on, the answer would depend on what you mean by safe.  

Thanks for your suggestions. I too have noticed that many of my previously categorized transactions have been wiped of much information. Will the turning off of the cloud account restore them?

Are you saying that the "Cloud" functionality is broken? So, does that mean I should turn off any syncing from mobile too?
    ERed said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > Disabling Sync would not delete the cloud account.
    >
    > As to whether it's safe to turn it back on, the answer would depend on what you mean by safe.  

Thanks for your suggestions. I too have noticed that many of my previously categorized transactions have been wiped of much information. Will the turning off of the cloud account restore them?

Are you saying that the "Cloud" functionality is broken? So, does that mean I should turn off any syncing from mobile too?
    There is no means of turning off of the cloud account.  Deleting a cloud account doesn't restore anything.  Deleting the cloud account prevents the cloud account from impacting the Quicken file you are about to open.

I'm not saying that the "Cloud" functionality is broken or that you should turn off any syncing from mobile.

Quicken does synchronize some data in a Quicken file with a cloud account even when we have never enabled Sync and have never selected any accounts to be sync'd.

What I said was:
    Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
    The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • stevebostevebo Member
    I just performed a 1 step update the way I normally do. Quicken took it upon itself to say "We are performing a one time sync change, this may take a while". When it finished, hundreds or maybe thousands of transactions in my two Capital One credit cards are no longer categorized. This is critical information for my business and it was wiped out without any obvious backup.

How ironic that pushing data to the cloud in order to back it up, destroys that same data. It would be better just to never sync at all.

Please can anyone help me retrieve this info?
  • stevebostevebo Member
    edited December 2020
    After a half hour with tech support, I reinstated a week old backup, ran the repair utility, turned off cloud sync and was able to re-download the last week of transactions. I'm not syncing to the cloud anymore, but I guess that's OK for now, since [removed - inaccurate, cloud sync is not a file backup tool]
  • ERedERed Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock Sorry for misinterpreting your post. So, by following your steps you are able delete the associated cloud account. Which would then allow you to restore a Quicken file from backup. Is that the short version?

Is there any other resolution that can possibly restore the information that has been wiped? Any idea how long ago the error started happening? What release?

I just noticed it recently and it is sporadic on what data entries have been affected. I'm trying to determine which is harder, recovering the 'lost' information or recreating all the data entries I've done since (if I can determine which backup has the categories restored).
  • ERedERed Member ✭✭
    I'm also experiencing similar issues. I can't say when they actually started. They are also sporadic for me, not all transactions in an account have been affected by the problem.

I'm trying to evaluate which is harder, restoring from a backup that could be 'hours of work' lost or trying to re-categorize all of the transactions that have been affected.

Has anyone been able to stop it from happening again?
    ERed said:
    @Sherlock Sorry for misinterpreting your post. So, by following your steps you are able delete the associated cloud account. Which would then allow you to restore a Quicken file from backup. Is that the short version?
    If the cloud account for a Quicken file exists when we open a Quicken file, Quicken will synchronize data with the cloud account.  If we don't want Quicken to synchronize data with the cloud account, we must delete the cloud account before we open the Quicken file. 
    Is there any other resolution that can possibly restore the information that has been wiped? Any idea how long ago the error started happening? What release?
    If the information hasn't actually been wiped, you could try the Copy and Validatehttps://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

I suspect the underlying issue dates back to March when Quicken started migrating Quicken for Windows users from the FDS communication channel to the QCS communication channel.  You may find the discussions regarding some of the issues at: https://community.quicken.com/search?Page=&adv=0&author=&cat=all&comment_answer=1&comment_comment=1&date=&discussion_discussion=1&discussion_idea=1&discussion_question=1&followedcats=0&search=FDS%2BQCS&subcats=1&tags=&title=&within=1+day
    I just noticed it recently and it is sporadic on what data entries have been affected. I'm trying to determine which is harder, recovering the 'lost' information or recreating all the data entries I've done since (if I can determine which backup has the categories restored).
    And that is the real problem:  We may not notice when data has been clobbered until a significant time later.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    Yes. See the thread above. The temporary workaround is to turn off mobile sync.

In the top left select Edit > Preferences > Mobile and Web > Turn Sync off. 
  • mjackson60mjackson60 Member ✭✭
    Yes. Turn off mobile sync.
  • DimarcDimarc Member
    This is a new problem in the last few days. Multiple reconciled entries are re-written with wrong info and some account balances are corrupted. I restored my backup files and same problem. I unchecked automatically categorize transactions on downloads, etc, still happening.
    edited December 2020
    Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

This other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10